• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twmattox
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2003

Hauling our Boy Scout trailer

Our local Troop has had a problem finding vehicles able to haul our Scout trailer. It is a fairly large tandem axle trailer filled with all our gear. I know that a typical Chevy 1500 is used to haul it sometimes (others it is hauled with a Chevy 2500 and a Ford F250). I am considering using my '88 GW to pull the trailer in the future and need to know what I will have to do to the rig to perform this safely. My GW has recently had a complete rebuild done on the 360, with a Melling MTA-1 cam, edelbrock double roller timing chain, and some oiling modifications; still have the stock 2v carb and intake though.

The trailer does have a weight distribution hitch that it is used with. From my research, the GW came with a Type III receiver from the factory. This is rated to 5,000# load carrying / 500# tongue weight. From my research on similar hitches (Hidden Hitch Type III and others), these can be used up to 8,000# weight distribution / 800# tongue weight. Is this correct for the GW as well?

Assuming that the trailer falls within this weight category and I can safely pull it, I will need to be able to safely stop. I have recently completely re-done my brake system (new booster, master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, shoes, pads, and rubber lines). I will look into the trailer to ensure that it has electric brakes (I am 90%certain it does).

Next, I need to make sure my rig can actually pull this weight at speed. I know my gear ratio will need to be changed from the stock 2.93. I have recently bought a set of gears and plan on changing out to 3.31 ratio (would have preferred 3.54 but couldn't find them). With stock size tires (or slightly oversized to 30") will this ratio allow enough power to pull?

Finally, should I consider any suspension items? Ideally, I would put on a 2" AAL lift (my springs are in very good shape but are too soft for hauling). What about the addition of air shocks or air springs?

At this point I am in the investigation stages of determining what it will take for me to do this safely. I just know it stinks that these boys have to cancel some campouts because they can't get their gear to accompany them.
    '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
    '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
    '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
    '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

A trailer that big should have electric brakes on it. Controlling them properly would be my first priority. Wiring up an adjustable trailer brake controller isn't difficult but it would be the first thing I did.

For weight control, it's hard to beat an airbag helper spring system, if you can tolerate the cost. You leave the bags deflated when you're not towing. When you load it up, you inflate the bags and it helps take a lot of the extra weight safely. There is a bolt in kit that fits the stock GW. You can get just the bags or you can even step up with a compressor and dash controller, depending on how much you want to spend.

Gears in the axle are important as well. The factory 2.73 gears need to go. Stepping up to something around 3.31 or 3.54 on stock tires will give you much better power to get the trailer moving. With slightly bigger tires, I'd give serious thought to 3.54s. Even so, you're not going to be in the fast lane.

Can you tow that trailer? Sure.

Is it the best rig for towing? Not exactly.

Can you make it adequate? Yep.
    Last edited by derf; 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM.
    Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• twmattox
      350 Buick
      • Feb 24, 2003

That is what I am looking for...adequate; but, more importantly, SAFE!

I am just trying to get a parts list so I can assess the cost.

Do I need a new receiver or will the stock one suffice?

Do I need the 2" AAL?

Do I need the air springs?

Do I need air shocks?

Do I need a transmission cooler?

Those are the questions I am beginning with.

Honestly, we go camping about once a month. I am guessing that I will be called to haul the trailer about 3 times a year. The furthest we haul it is about 200 miles (one way). Most times it is significantly shorter trips than that. Thanks for all the help...

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

5000 lbs is a lot of gear for a Scout troop. What do they bring along that's so heavy?
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• billyj7175
          304 AMC
          • Sep 10, 2001

How long of a trailer are we talking about?

A transmission cooler would be highly recommended...

X2 on the brake controller. The new digital ones work very well.

Also, make sure the weight distributing hitch has some sort of sway control. Most all do, but I've seen a few that didn't.

With the W/D hitch, you might not need the AAL or air bags/shocks. Best thing to do is to hitch up and see.
          83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
          360/727/229
          4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• twmattox
            350 Buick
            • Feb 24, 2003

I have no real idea on how heavy the trailer is. But, everyone says it is heavy. There are 30+ tents, 5 patrol boxes that weigh over 100# each, lots of cast iron cookware, canopies, everyone's personal gear, firewood, charcoal, and a ton of other things... Before I pull the trigger on anything, I plan on getting the trailer weighed.

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by tgreese
              5000 lbs is a lot of gear for a Scout troop. What do they bring along that's so heavy?
              Girl Scout troop B with accessories
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by twmattox
                I know my gear ratio will need to be changed from the stock 2.93. I have recently bought a set of gears and plan on changing out to 3.31 ratio (would have preferred 3.54 but couldn't find them). With stock size tires (or slightly oversized to 30") will this ratio allow enough power to pull?

Finally, should I consider any suspension items? Ideally, I would put on a 2".
                Sounds like a heavy tow. Just my opinion but since you're going through the hassle/expense of a gear swap I'd exchange the 3.54's you bought for 3.73's or lower. I don't like towing heavy loads so I try to make it as easy as possible. I've got a diesel F-250 with 3.54's and it's a slug towing. If I need to tow I use the diesel C-20 Chev w/4.10's Both rigs are in very good condition but the 4.10's make a world of difference over the 3.54's.
                edit: PS thoroughly break-in new gears before you tow a heavy load.
                Last edited by joe; 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• derf
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 12, 2001

That is what I am looking for...adequate; but, more importantly, SAFE!

I am just trying to get a parts list so I can assess the cost.
                  That's a good approach.

Do I need a new receiver or will the stock one suffice?
                  What does the factory one look like? If it's a full receiver and not just a tongue, it'll probably work.

Do I need the 2" AAL?
                  I wouldn't. They ride way too rough. The air springs let you add or remove weight capacity as you need it. They're much more flexible from that perspective.

Do I need the air springs?
                  I wouldn't consider any other route. You can start with just the bags with an air chuck you can inflate/deflate with any compressed air source. As your budget allows, you can add a built in compressor and dash board control.

Do I need air shocks?
                  Not really. They sort of work but air springs are a better choice.

Do I need a transmission cooler?
                  Always. You can never keep your transmission too cool. I'm considering adding a 3rd cooler to my truck when I do the trans swap. It already goes through the radiator and then to the factory aux cooler in front of the radiator. I'm thinking about getting one of those extruded coolers and running it along the frame rail.

Those are the questions I am beginning with.
                  Honestly, we go camping about once a month. I am guessing that I will be called to haul the trailer about 3 times a year. The furthest we haul it is about 200 miles (one way). Most times it is significantly shorter trips than that. Thanks for all the help...[/QUOTE]

I did the once a month boy scout camping trips when I was a kid. We never had that much gear that we needed a trailer. But we did pack all the cars pretty full when we went. Having a dedicated trailer probably would have helped.

Comment

• derf
                    360 AMC
                    • Jul 12, 2001

I have no real idea on how heavy the trailer is. But, everyone says it is heavy. There are 30+ tents, 5 patrol boxes that weigh over 100# each, lots of cast iron cookware, canopies, everyone's personal gear, firewood, charcoal, and a ton of other things... Before I pull the trigger on anything, I plan on getting the trailer weighed.
                    Very good idea. If it's over 3,500 pounds, you want to make sure it has trailer brakes and that they're in good shape.

Comment

since it has a weight distributing hitch, at a minimum, I would go air shocks, electric brakes, gears, and high efficiency trans cooler. Those big box trailers are like pulling a brick wall from the air hitting them.
                      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by tgreese
                        My son is in a large BSA troop. (50+ boys on the roster)

Their 12' single axle trailer is often overloaded.
                        The troop has long term plans to purchase a 14' tandem axle trailer.

I can speak to why so much gear.
                        Most parents cannot afford true lightweight back packing gear. (very costly stuff!)
                        Just getting the Scout to have a complete uniform shirt can be a challenge.
                        ...then add the cost of Troop dues, outtings, popcorn, couple hundred for summer camp, etc...
                        So, the troop uses normal heavy camping gear, tents, sleeping bags, food for 20+ folks for a weekend, stoves for places they do not permit a ground fire, first aid gear, sleds for Klondike events...I can go on and on..

...all of this gear is heavy and when you get 20+ Scouts personal gear added in as well...it takes a big trailer to haul it all.
                        Bryan Smith
                        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                        1986 Jeep J20
                        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                        1982 Jeep J10
                        - Has become a Long Term Project.
                        1981 Jeep J20
                        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                        Originally posted by Lindel
                        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• twmattox
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 24, 2003

Add in the fact that the trailer (empty) was weighed at 2500#. Then add in all the shelving and fixtures.

Best guess is that our large trailer may top out around 8000#. Our smaller trailer has been weighed (fully loaded) at 6740#.

Again, I am not looking to do this on a daily basis. More in a pinch when no body else can possibly do it. I just want to make sure that I can do it safely.

On a side note, I have hauled our smaller Cub Scout trailer all over the place just the way I am. We have never weighed it, but I am sure that old thing is pretty heavy as it sits.

Comment

• tgreese
                            • May 29, 2003

I was a Scout and an assistant Scoutmaster (long ago) and both of these troops had their own gear - plywood fold-up kitchens, steel stoves, canvas Baker tents - the usual car camping stuff. Usually we had a few Dads with pickup trucks that could haul the gear. Maybe times have changed, but somehow a dedicated trailer for the gear seems excessive ... even car camping gear is not that heavy.

Both troops were sponsored by churches, which gave the troop some storage space for gear. I suppose if there were no other storage available, a trailer would make sense.

Not a criticism - just a comment.
                            Tim Reese
                            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• leadsled01
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 23, 2010

I just purchased the Air Ride air spring kit for my Wagoneer. Have not installed it yet but it looks like quality stuff. I need it for towing my car trailer with the wrangler on it, it was fine for towing 5 quads but not the wrangler. I would hitch it up and give it a shakedown run and then decide what you need to do. Tranny cooler is first on the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X