International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Drivetrain

Old 07-06-2000, 05:04 AM

Wink

Ok, I should be picking up the family truckster today after getting the tcase replaced. Will be my first time driving it un-wounded.

My question is how exactly do enguage the 4wd? I have a NP229 with selec-trac, and a vacume switch. I really dont want to do anything to break the aluminum tcase, so I want to KNOW what I am doing when I wish to enguage the 4wd and dis-enguage it.

By the way, use baby terms. You would be suprised how little I know. Had a ScoutII with manual hubs and that was easy. Vacume switch, flag lever near my knee, selec track-- this is a bit more complex!

Thanks a million! Well, about $400 anyhow!
Old 07-06-2000, 06:45 AM

Wink

You can engage the dash 4x4 selector at any road speed, once you switch to 4x4 you might have to let of the gas then it will engage and the dash light will come on.
To engage 4x4 low, you MUST be in 4x4 first, then with the truck moving slowly (2-5mph), put the transmission into neutral and pull the range lever up, don't stop until it's engaged. One nice swift, clean movement. Simple.
Old 07-06-2000, 06:56 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

Come to a complete stop, and FLIP THE VACUUM SWITCH, dummy That's 4hi (1:1 ratio, street-driveable).

To shift to 4lo (2.6:1, OFFROAD ONLY!) slow to 2-3 mph (already in 4hi, of course) put the transmission in neutral, and pull up smoothly on the "flag on a stick" shifter under the front corner of your seat. There'll be a clunk, maybe a little grinding, then you'll rev the engine uselessly in N, then remember to put it back in drive. If it worked, you will now be going half as fast with twice the noise.

To take it out of 4lo, do the same as when you put it in (2-3mph in N), but push the lever DOWN. To get back to 2wd, make sure it's in 4hi, then stop and flip the switch THE OTHER WAY.

C'mon, this is so simple a child could do it. Now all you have to do is find a child to do it for you

------------------
Baker
'84 Grand Wagoneer "B.U.F.F" (Big Ugly Fat... um...Fellow)
360,727,229, 44 & 20 (3.31s), 30x9.5
If you don't know what all those numbers mean, you shouldn't be here.

[This message has been edited by Baker (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-06-2000, 07:04 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Puslinch:
You can engage the dash 4x4 selector at any road speed, once you switch to 4x4 you might have to let of the gas then it will engage and the dash light will come on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOOOO! That's only for '86 up! If it's an '83-'85 you have to STOP because of the front axle disconnect!

The procedure for low range is the same, though.
Old 07-06-2000, 08:09 AM
MonsterMash

Wink

Right. My '84 says right on the switch from left to right: "STOP VEHICLE" "PULL" (arrow pointing to lock mechanism) "ENGAGE" . I don't know if this is "Select-trac" or what, I just follow the directions and it has worked fine.

By the way, you'll need to anticipate when you'll need the four-wheel-drive because if you're already stuck in a mudhole and can't move the vehicle it's too late. The front wheels need to travel a rotation or so in order to lock

------------------
'84GW360--"Spinner"
And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.

[This message has been edited by MonsterMash (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-06-2000, 08:20 AM

Wink

my 85 was equipped with a 229 and no front axle disconnect.i hear rumors of this disconnect,but i have never actually seen one on a full size jeep.for awhile i was looking for one to swap into my grand wag,but couldnt find one.every truck i looked at from 83 to 85 had a standard front axle.i figured it was a myth. a unicorn of full size jeep options,if you will.

it is my understanding that if your 2wd/4wd switch has a little knob that you pull down before sliding the switch over,then yes,you must stop first.if you can simply reach down and slide it over,you can do it at any road speed. this may be wrong, i dont have much of an opinion of the 229,and have never had the desire to experience all the mishap and carnage that i read about in forums like this one personally,ive decided to learn from others experiences.my buddy is on his 3rd one in an xj cherokee.

of course, this is a 229.it may break anyway,no matter how careful you are,this is simply its nature. if youre at all concerned about it,id go ahead and stop to engage 4wd. better safe than sorry.

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd
Old 07-06-2000, 08:25 AM

Wink

The manual for my 90 GW states "You can select 4x4 mode at any safe road speed"
Old 07-06-2000, 08:50 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Puslinch:
The manual for my 90 GW states "You can select 4x4 mode at any safe road speed"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>absolutely keerect for your 90 +my 88. skyes 83 is a different animal. Skye, pull that pin and flip that lever @a dead stop. Scott, your 85 doesnt have the vacuum fr end? must be a 6 vs 8 thing, both the 83 +84 v8 i have had the vacuum fr end its a vac switch that locks a spider gear or somethin.the plumbing is a PITA,its gated so that you can only engage low range when fr end is engaged a vaccum "and gate" party on guys

------------------
'88 gwag
Old 07-06-2000, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

Glad Im not the only one here that gets confused. Should pick up the beast tommorow. Wish me luck!!!

------------------
83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all
Old 07-06-2000, 05:21 PM

Wink

heres a question for you front axle disconnect guys: what does it look like? as i mentioned,ive never seen one on a full size,but i had always assumed that it would look not unlike the CAD axles on the dana 30s ive seen on many wranglers and xj cherokees. however,a friend recently bought(and allready sold) an 83 wagoneer limited.it had a 258,no tow package,44 front amc 20 rear,all the same power stuff that mine used to,and it had the funky pull down the knob,slide the lever over vaccum switch. the confusing part is that it had no recognizable disconnect mechanism on the axletube. it did have something funky mounted on the diff cover,but i cant see how in any way,shape,or form that this thing had something to do with disconnecting the long side axle shaft.

so,what is that thing?what does it do,how does it work? what does the disconnect look like?!?

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd
Old 07-07-2000, 04:53 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

Have you seen the vacuum shift motor thingy atop the 229? It looks like one of those, sticking up out of top front of the diff cover.

------------------
Baker
Old 07-07-2000, 09:37 AM

Wink

doesnt make sense to me... how does it work? what does it look like if you pull off the diff cover?

scotty
Old 07-07-2000, 01:31 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

That brings up a question - I had my instrument cluster out of my 84 GW and noticed a "4 Wheel Drive" light. I've never seen this light lit up.
1. Does this mean that I've never really been in 4wd or
2. Where is the switch that makes this light burn. I want to figure this thing out.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2000, 05:02 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

That brings up a question - I had my instrument cluster out of my 84 GW and noticed a "4 Wheel Drive" light. I've never seen this light lit up.
2. Where is the switch that makes this light burn. I want to figure this thing out.

Ive been shifting my trans case with a big pair of vice grips, only when i do this and shift the mode lever all the way into 4wd. does the light on the dash come on.. now Ive just recently gotten it loosened up to the point where my vacuum actuator will shift it from 4wheel to 2wheel. but it still doesnt shift it all the way to where the light will come on, yet its definatly in 4wheel. noticible difference in power. mabye it will get better( i hope) good luck on yours..

------------------

88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 07-09-2000, 04:09 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gbarrett:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, don't listen to the people with Chrysler-built FSJs, because they're completely different.

There's not a switch, and it doesn't light up. The light's a holdover from the '70s Quadratrac transfer case "E-drive" notifier, but when they changed the TC in the early '80s, they didn't bother to retool to leave out the light. It was also used on 229s from '87-'91.

------------------
Baker
Old 07-09-2000, 04:42 AM
Gear Head

Question

The only reason mine doesn't light up is b/c the wire that plugs into the T-case is missing. The 2-pronged wire plugs into the bottom of the t-case and connects to the 4wd indicator light. If you have a Haynes book, look at sect. 7C-6, illustration 6.4.

------------------
84 GW
360 NP229