• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 76j10build
    232 I6
    • Nov 13, 2019

Door Latch

I have a door that won't latch. From feeling and looking in the door, it seems like there is a spring of some sort that is missing. The part on the door that is supposed to rotate and latch just spins all the way around. From looking at the other door, it seems there should be some kind of spring or something that is pressing into the rotating latch mechanism on the inside of the door?
    Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone tell me if there is a part I can buy for this or if I am going to have to try and disassemble something at a junkyard?

Thanks.
  • SnowShoe
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2008

I think BJ's has replacement springs

Comment

• 76j10build
      232 I6
      • Nov 13, 2019

Yeah, I wasn't sure if what they had was the spring I need, but I will talk to them and see, I guess

Comment

• uberhahn
        232 I6
        • Dec 14, 2003

Are you talking about the latch on the B-pillar and C-pillar?

There should be a little nylon "ramp" that is attached to a spring.

If you to 32min and 59 sec of my zinc plating video, you'll have a good view of it. I'm sloooowly restoring my '86, and there are a few videos. some are useful (though not very well done)

In this video Ingo through all of the steps I used to restore the Jeep Wagoneer door latches. The video is long. Lots of trials. But I hope you get someth...
        It followed me home, honest...
        Newly acquired 1986 GW. 4? (I think Rusty?s lift).
        Needs interior work. Smells like a refinery on the outside. Relatively rust free.

Comment

• 76j10build
          232 I6
          • Nov 13, 2019

Honestly I have been sidetracked getting the lift installed. Finished that today and started bleeding the brakes to discover one of the calipers is leaking. So tomorrow new calipers and get the brakes working and it may go for its first drive in years. Then I will be tackling new wiring and the door latch and window seals. Hopefully I can find time this week to make some calls inquiring about the springs

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by 76j10build
            I have a door that won't latch. From feeling and looking in the door, it seems like there is a spring of some sort that is missing. The part on the door that is supposed to rotate and latch just spins all the way around. From looking at the other door, it seems there should be some kind of spring or something that is pressing into the rotating latch mechanism on the inside of the door?
            Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone tell me if there is a part I can buy for this or if I am going to have to try and disassemble something at a junkyard?

I had this issue on the 74, replaced the whole door latch , the one on the door jamb, yes the inside spring was broken. Of course it happened on a forest road, 200 miles from home and on the driver's door... bundled a strap around the open window pillar and the B pillar, yes you have to drive with the window open, it was summer... headed to the nearest junkyard, and luckily they had a few FSJ... of the correct YM

J&W in Sacramento could be a good source

this is the item that you need

the one on the left for the 78 and older vintage

Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• 76j10build
              232 I6
              • Nov 13, 2019

Can anyone tell me if the rear door latches are identical to the front latches? I found a later model wagoneer in a local salvage yard - the drivers latch has already been taken, so I am wondering if I can get the latch off of the DS rear door?
              (I actually only need the passenger latch, but I would like to get both sides so they match on my truck...)

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I had this issue with the Later style latch. In my case, the "U" latch was so worn that it wasnt getting pushed that last little bit to latch. So, I welded more material to the "U" and contoured it to work. I adjusted the Door, the bolt for hours trying to get it to latch but nothing worked until I added the metal. I would have rather gotten a new latch mechanism. I also had the latch return spring on the same door break. I got some off of Ebay for a '56 Dodge that worked.

Comment

• threepiece
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by 76j10build
                  Can anyone tell me if the rear door latches are identical to the front latches? I found a later model wagoneer in a local salvage yard - the drivers latch has already been taken, so I am wondering if I can get the latch off of the DS rear door?
                  (I actually only need the passenger latch, but I would like to get both sides so they match on my truck...)
                  As was mentioned earlier the later latches are different. The cut-off point was somewhere during 1979. Although the latches can be made to fit each opposing door with some effort, it is not a viable swap. The strikers on the pillars are also different and will not work with the opposing latch.
                  FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                  We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                  We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                  Resistance is not futile yet.
                  Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X