• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

Help Me Diagnose Ticking Sound

I have read every "ticking sound " thread over the last couple days.
    Here is what I have going on.

Cold start loud ticking sound towards the back passenger side of the engine.
    After about 60 secs it settles down and you cant really hear it.
    Out on the road when I gas it the ticking comes back and is correlated to the amount of throttle. Once I let off the gas the ticking slows as the Jeep slows down. NO gas no ticking. Great oil pressure and great compression.

This is a newly rebuild engine. I'm really trying to figure out if its lifter noise or exhaust leak. What I've read it sounds like exhaust but after many hours moving both the tube to ear and stethoscope around I cannot find a leak. I also took valve cover off and tighten the bridge bolt. Just a hair. They all felt tight.
    In the am I'm going to put a new gasket on the choke tube and the other emission thing (name escapes me).

I did have new exhaust put on. The tick started a few weeks after that. I did check around the Y-pipe. Seems normal. If I know I would not cause any damage I'm thinking about driving it to my builder shop and asking them to diagnose and I will do the work to fix.
    I will keep you posted. Thanks
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Do you have a torque convertor bolt loose? Thrust bearings going out on the crank? Piston slap? Lifter sticking?

Comment

• Rusty76
      258 I6
      • Jul 15, 2018

More to investigate
      Thanks
      1976 Jeep Wagoneer
      Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
      Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• fsj454
        Long time member
        • Jan 02, 2015

spark plug

Check for loose spark plug . When you rebuilt motor did you use stock head bolts or ARP
        1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• rws31
          258 I6
          • Dec 10, 2016

Try the easy things first. Sounds, no pun intended, like an exhaust leak at an exhaust port to me.

Remove the exhaust gasket and look for burnt or discolored spots. Beats tearing into the engine only to tick afterwards.

If it only ticks when cold, start it up cold and have someone block off the tail pipe and see if the ticking sound changes tone.
          89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
          1988 Ramcharger
          1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
          2003 Durango 4x4
          1982 CJ7 4 banger
          2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

agree with the exhaust leak, my manifold has a hole in it that does the exact same thing
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

Within the first 60 seconds of a cold start, pull the plug wires or ground the plug wires on the left side and see if it goes away.
              1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
              Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                258 I6
                • Jun 11, 2017

What kind of exhaust manifold gaskets were used?

After my engine was rebuilt, over the first few months several of the manifold gaskets failed, causing the same symptoms you described.

I had used the multi-part gaskets, with a separate one for each port.
                I changed over to Remflex gaskets where all the ports are joined, and haven't had a problem since.
                1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Rusty76
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks everybody. When the engine was rebuilt I believe they used stock headbolts. As for exhaust gaskets I put on the multi part ones. Dig into that today.

Ok so I have a bunch of time today. I'm going to go through the list and check everything.

I agree the way I'm describing the ticking it does sound like exhaust but I've had 2 experienced people come over and they both said mechanical.
                  I'm still hoping for exhaust.
                  I was going to drive it to the shop that rebuilt my engine and have them try and diagnose it. I really hope its nothing serious like wiped cam, cracked block.... I've only put about 1500km on it. Followed the break-in perfectly.
                  Keep you posted.
                  1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                  Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                  Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• J20 project
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 27, 2000

Perhaps a diff thought...pushrods?....non adjustable rockers, right?

J20
                    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Rusty76
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 15, 2018

Well I spent the day trouble shooting without any luck.
                      I was reading over my break in paper work confirming I did everything right when I noticed they want it back at 800k for a tune up. So dropped Jeep off at shop this evening. Prior to the 40min drive I feared the worst but it drove really well. Lots of power, cruising along at highway speeds with 60psi, idle at 15-20.
                      Cross my fingers..
                      1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                      Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                      Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• threepiece
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 17, 2005

I had a 400 Ford that suddenly developed a slight ticking while on the freeway while hauling a 6000 Lb. trailer. After several minutes the ticking got louder. This continued for nearly 1/2 hour. The trip ended with a loud bang!

A tear down revealed a broken valve spring was the cause. I ended up needing a new block, piston and valves.

Removing the valve cover is not difficult.
                        FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                        We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                        We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                        Resistance is not futile yet.
                        Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by threepiece
                          I had a 400 Ford that suddenly developed a slight ticking while on the freeway while hauling a 6000 Lb. trailer. After several minutes the ticking got louder. This continued for nearly 1/2 hour. The trip ended with a loud bang!

A tear down revealed a broken valve spring was the cause. I ended up needing a new block, piston and valves.

Removing the valve cover is not difficult.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J20 project
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 27, 2000

Opinion of course....

You, and or your engine rebuilder maybe did not measure the worn length of your pushrods, and or the wear on you rockers/lifter assembly....

Over the years, having been around a lot of rebuilt 360's...I saw that most folks do not measure that..don't spend the money on rockers...normally spend the money on lifter and cam...but typically put the stock rockers and pushrods back in....

Need I say more....? At least it gives you something to consider..

J20
                            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Rusty76
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 15, 2018

I will need to double check what the builder did. I'm pretty sure the only thing from the original block was the block. This is my first project, prior to jumping into the deep end my mechanical aptitude started and ended at doing my own oil changes. I've learned sooo much but the one aspect that I would like to get better at is diagnosing stuff but I guess that just takes time.

Threepiece that is nightmare story! I did take both covers off and everything had oil coming out of it and was tight.

I dropped Jeep off yesterday evening. Apparently they started today. Hopefully hear tomorrow. I'm passed my 1yr warranty time wise but with only 500k I hope they work with me. Keep you posted. I fear its bad... No news is NOT good news..
                              1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                              Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                              Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X