• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spduffee
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2017

AMC Pulleys

Hello All,
    I have a pulley problem. On my 304 the crankshaft pulley had two chips missing on the inner wall(closest to the engine). I bought a used replacement and it looked different, but I figured it was OK. Everything was fine until I put the water pump pulley on, or tried to. The replacement turns out to be 1/4" bigger in diameter, and so won't fit (the w.p. pulley hits the c.s. pulley). Mine and the replacement are both for AMC 304's/360's.
    Are there different matched sets, or something? My pulley is heavy, has a thick backplate and three dimples. The replacement is much lighter.
    What gives?
    Thank you,
    Shawn
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

Yea there some different sets of pulleys but I can't remember which ones go with each other. Post up some pictures and the dimensions of your old one and I might have a good one to match -I have 2 buckets of them.
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• spduffee
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2017

Here is a picture of what was on it before. It measures 6-3/4.

Here is a picture of the one I bought as a replacement

I'd prefer the one it had before, but would be grateful for either, as long as it fits. Please let me know if your bucket has one and how much you'd like to have for it.

Thank you very much!
      Shawn

Comment

• SC/397
        Administrator
        • Feb 01, 2010

Do you have those pictures reversed?

I have never seen a cast one before. All of mine are stamped steel like the one with the steel tape on it.
        The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• spduffee
          232 I6
          • Jul 20, 2017

Nope, I have not seen one either. The 360 had a stamped steel one, my CJ5 has a stamped steel one, too. This 304 supposedly came out of a CJ5. And when I search for a crankshaft pulley for a 304/360 both versions pop up.
          If the stamped steel version is bigger, there must be different water pump pulley sizes, too. Time to start looking at various parts manuals, I guess....

Comment

Working...
          X