X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Screwed the 12 inch foam pieces to the boards and hung the tools. Might be able to find something similar,like the round swim noodles.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

I have used the water line foam over the handles before to avoid splinters. The pre split with built in tape works best. Keeps my jackall handle from rattling too!
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

I see you have a band saw. I don't but I have a Sawzall some plywood and a clamp.

Last edited by SJTD; 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

I have a Sawzall some plywood and a clamp.

Nice shop hack.
          1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
          Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Ghinmi
            Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Not sure if it qualifies as a shop hack but I got a bunch of rolling computer tables the school was throwing away. They make great rolling work stations, paint racks, etc. But my crown jewel so far is this welding cart. Holds my welder, tanks, clamps, gloves, helmets, stud gun, etc. And the top surface is a nice height to plop stuff on and weld.

Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
            http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

i'm envious of the welding cart.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Nice welding cart. I love to re purpose things.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Fearless
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 03, 2015

Perhaps not a "hack" per se, but one of my favorite garage items:

Not the beer machine (although its high on the list) but the Koozie dispenser to the left... That one is PVC, the one on the other side is a cardboard carpet tube.
                  Fearless
                  '89 Grand Wagoneer slightly Modified
                  "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on Fire"

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

Koozie dispenser out of an old piece of PVC, Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! right its a shop hack. But how do you just dismiss an old Coke machine converted to slinging cold beers? What flavors in that bad boy. Got any Abita Amber.
                    1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Fearless
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 03, 2015

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                      Koozie dispenser out of an old piece of PVC, Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! right its a shop hack. But how do you just dismiss an old Coke machine converted to slinging cold beers? What flavors in that bad boy. Got any Abita Amber.
                      No conversion, found the machine in an old bar I cleaned out once. Doesn't take money. Is set up for a remote.... you'd pay the bartender and she'd hit the remote to dispense one choice. Best part is I reprogrammed it to my 3 button garage remote on the bike when I got it home. Now:
                      Button #1 opens the garage door,
                      Button #2 dispenses a cold one, and
                      Button #3 opens the garage door and dispenses a cold one.... Nice after a long ride.
                      Now that I think about it, maybe Thats the Hack I should have posted...
                      Unfortunately, it only takes 12 oz cans and very few good beers are packaged as such.... thats why I keep a Dorm fridge in the other corner....
                      Fearless
                      '89 Grand Wagoneer slightly Modified
                      "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on Fire"

Comment

• WHSII
                        Hack-Priss
                        • Feb 06, 2010

I have a small shop, no garage, 13' by 24'. My wood shop in the main use, but I also have my mechanic tools in there and restored my J10 using this shop.

Drill holder from 3" stainless exhaust pipe.

My wife has worked as book keeper at our local NAPA since 1986, they gave me several racks that they displayed tools on.

The rack is mounted to pivot as it did at NAPA so I have more space to put the most used tools for mechanics and layout.

I also hung one of the racks by the drill press to have all needed tools as needed. Just starting to fill up the backside of this one.

I found some dense foam rubber, that came with a commercial camera, it is more dense than the usual foam rubber, but still can be collapsed. I left about 1/8" between the foam blocks on this one, and am pleased as to how it holds the tools.

They stay put but are very easy to remove, and put back. Same here with my metric and standard deep well sockets, I had a Rubbermaid set of drawer organizers that fit the sockets in length, I laid out the sockets and allowed about 1/8" crush at each slot. They can be held upside down and not fall out, cut the side open to the bolt side of the socket, to make it easy to remove the appropriate socket.

I have a set of eight exact o knife handles with different carving blades that I did this for also.

I glued the foam pieces on the first couple of projects with contact cement, and it worked well, a bit messy but they stay in place. For the sockets, I used hot glue, and it also worked very well.

Hope this helps!
                        WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                        Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Those are all great hacks! Question, what is the brake rotor thingy do, I need to know.
                          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• WHSII
                            Hack-Priss
                            • Feb 06, 2010

LOL!

The rotor is mounted to a cheap wood lathe headstock. Plans are to make a disk sander.

I cannot throw anything away...
                            WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                            Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• KilroyJC
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 08, 2016

Instead of using a wheeled creeper, sheets of cardboard on the floor give you a couple extra inches of clearance, and help absorb the inevitable spill. Go to your local appliance store, and you can get all the large sheets of cardboard you could ever want. Plus, they insulate you from cold concrete floors or paving.
                              1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
                              1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• KilroyJC
                                232 I6
                                • Feb 08, 2016

When making card adjustments

It is far easier to keep track of your screw turns/haf turns/quarter turns if you use a square-shaft screwdriver instead of a round one. It is even easier if you number the flats.
                                1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
                                1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

Working...
                                X