• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b-crow
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 01, 2014

Old safety technology vs. new

It's interesting to see the comparison. I see a lot of comments on here that vintage American steel is superior to new flimsy American steel, crumple zones, and airbags.

I wonder how our jeeps would hold up in a similar comparison?

PowerNation TV is America's most watched automotive how-to programming. It is the most credible, highest-rated, longest-running tech content on television. The PowerNation consists of: Detroit Muscle, Engine Power, Truck Tech, Xtreme Off Road (XOR), PowerNation Daily, HorsePower, Muscle Item, Trucks!, and Xtreme 4x4
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

Just as bad, IMO.

I was stuck in traffic on a highway, and had a semi/trailer next to me on the left. I was in the right lane, and watched a car come up at 35 mph behind the semi with a driver not paying attention. He hit the brakes way too late and slammed into the back of the trailer HARD.

I thought the worst, but the guy was fine. I believe in modern crush zones and air bags.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• 8man
      304 AMC
      • Jan 04, 2011

I would have swerved. Yeah, engineering works.
      79 Cherokee S (current project)
      82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Billygoat
        304 AMC
        • Mar 16, 2004

It is pretty simple, the old iron (if not rusted up) holds up better in a crash, but the occupants do not...simple energy dissipation, if the vehicle absorbs the impact the occupants don't have to.

So your choice is old iron your truck fairs better, new steel you fair better.

Comment

• 86grandwagoneer
          232 I6
          • Oct 29, 2014

1979 grand wagoneer crash test video from youtube. its a pretty bad test but you have to remember that most other cars on the road are lower to the ground and crumple more easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdH_kI-seJs

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by b-crow
            I see a lot of comments on here that vintage American steel is superior to new flimsy American steel, crumple zones, and airbags.
            It's easier to be stubborn and argumentative than to admit that Daddy didn't know what he was talking about.
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Mikel
              • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by Billygoat
              It is pretty simple, the old iron (if not rusted up) holds up better in a crash, but the occupants do not...simple energy dissipation, if the vehicle absorbs the impact the occupants don't have to.

A 10MPH impact between those two cars will leave the new one with thousands of dollars worth of damage and maybe a scratch in the bumper of the 1959. That makes people think older cars are safer.

The video shows what really happens in a high speed impact.
              1969 M715 6x6
              1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• stonehengeheels
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 03, 2009

Originally posted by Billygoat

I think it may depend on the type of collision. I bought my high school son an 87 GW. He was t boned twice, both his fault. The second one totaled the truck. It wedged the drivers side front frame under the crank pulley. He was uninjured. My mechanic said it was the worst walk away wreck he had ever seen. But overall I agree with your point.
                Steve
                '87 GW (Totaled)
                '90 GW (Under renovation)
                '00 GC Laredo (Totaled)
                '02 GC Laredo (Sold)
                '67 Dodge Coronet Convertible 440/727/3.55

Comment

Working...
                X