• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigblack'74
    304 AMC
    • Dec 05, 2000

Trans to transfer case gasket and the space in which fluid flows

My jeep ahs been to the Ammco Trans. shop two times in the past week to have this leak fixed and they cant NOT get it right.

They put the new gasket in and it is good for about a day then i jump on the highway to go to work boom...leaking like a siv. *So my first question is how has everyone else solved this leaking problem?*This time they are going to use the gasket plus gasket in a can(not rtv) and then let it sit for 12 hours before any fluid goes thru.

Next question. Should transmission fluid be going back into the anaular bearing, located in the very back on the tranmission where the output shaft is?? I know there is a seal(s) located in the front of the quadratrac that keep the fluid in the transfer case but do these seal(s) also stop the flowing fluid from the transmission from going into the transfer case.

Following Question: is there a seal in front of the anular bearing that is supposed to keep the fluid away from the transfer case and in essence away from the anular bearing?!?! Such as it would be a bearing that is supposed to be packed with grease...

My jeep has had this problem since the day i got it(which is almost three years) so i am wondering if there is something that isn't rite at the rear of the transfer case?? thanks alot
    Wagoneer-less
  • seabell
    232 I6
    • Dec 08, 2001

RTV works for me!

The QT housing has two seals back to back which will effectively separate the fluid in the two cases. You should be able to see the "spring" around the outermost one - if not, it's in back to front.

The tranny fluid lubes that big output shaft bearing.

Can't answer the third question, as I've never been into the tranny, but there *shouldn't* be a seal in front of that bearing, because it wouldn't get lubed if there was.

Check the condition of the TC seals, and make sure the shop use two guide studs to fit the TC without damaging the lips.
    Charlie<br />79 Chief - RHD!/2V-360/TH400/QT/4.09s/31x11.5 LTs - Ex-Daily Thrasher - Down Feb 2003 for major work<br />79 Chief - Parts donor<br />91 S*z*ki S*mur*i - Daily driver - Oh, the humiliation!<br /><br /><b>-oO FORM FOLLOWS</b> (MAL)<b>FUNCTION Oo-</b>

Comment

• dnixon
      360 AMC
      • Jul 28, 2002

i have fluid leaking from around where the Shift linkage is.. but I can't seem to spot where it is coming from.. anyone had this problem???
      All It Takes Is Money.
      I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• The Preacher
        350 Buick
        • Apr 29, 2002

Well, my tcase was leaking in the same spot. I changed the front seal on the tranny 2 mo. ago and the tcase began leaking at the junction with the tranny a couple weeks ago.

Just today I dropped the tcase and noticed the seal is shot on the tcase. Previously, I used rtv and figured it was the cause of the leak but now I need to replace the seal also.

My leak was likely caused by using rtv instead of gasket material. There isn't much pressure back there so it really should not be a hard one to solve. Seems odd that the shop would not be getting it right.

I bought the rubber gasket material stuff and will cut out my own for the gasket and see how she does.

As for the the leak around the shifter. If you are referring to where it goes into the tranny pan, there is a small seal that goes around the shifter hole from the inside. Some filter kits come with it and some you have to buy the seal separately. Sounds like you need a new one.
        Much Obliged,
        John

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

PO: (in order)
        '77 Cherokee
        '81
        J10
        '73 J4600

'64 J200

www.fbcyuba.com

Comment

• jode
          JB Welder
          • Apr 08, 2002

Here's a thought....
          afew weeks ago while doing my t-case chain, for resons I dont want to get into, I had the whole Tcase off. I noticed that the surface between the tcase and the adaptor has a notch and hole in it so that (despite your best efforts) sealing the case to the adaptor will be fruitless in stopping leaks. That's right, there is a drain channel in there that lets any fluid that manages to get into that little space drain. If you are leaking fluid out of the rear output shaft of the tranny, then the fluid can leak out onto the ground instead of being forced up into the QT unit. So, all the RTV in the world aint gonna help (unless you fill in that drain channel...which would be bad)
          So I think the solution is to tell the SOBs @ AAMCO to replace the rear seal in the tranny...if it is tranny fluid that is leaking...
          if it is QT fluid that is leaking, then you need to have the QT unit rebuilt....if it is both, then both need being rebuilt. Anyway, I hope this helps.....
          summary...dont seal the drain hole....find (and fix) the real problem.
          No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• bigblack'74
            304 AMC
            • Dec 05, 2000

that is very interesting..i rebuilt and converted mine to parttime so it uses atf now so it is hard to decifer which it is coming from but the tranny is always low. they also replaced all the seal in the transfer case with a kit i bought..so my guess is that is going thru that channel but i know fluid has to go back there to lubricate that anular bearing...these guys are clueless...i am to the point where i told the manager today, look jack im coming down there and do it myself..i did it before myself but it leaked that is why it is at a shop now...very ironic....
            Wagoneer-less

Comment

Working...
            X