• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matthew W. Woodruff
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 13, 2002

Washers for tailgate window regulator

Putting the lock washers back on the tailgate window regulator arms is a *lot* easier if you:

1. remove the window side channels

2. unbolt the regulator itself

3. leave the motor plugged in and lower the regulator arms as far as they will go

4. move the regulator assembly to the right (facing the tailgate) as far as possible. This should expose the left hand stud of the arms in the access panel.

Definitely do this side first because you want to have the most freedom to move the motor around.

5. By tilting the window, you should be able to mount the washer (use a narrow regular screwdriver to get the last tab over the stud).

6. Now, straighten out the window, move the regulator to the *left* as far as possible and use the motor to *raise* the regulator arms.

7. Twist the regulator assembly until you can expose the right hand stud in the access panel. Attach the bottom window mount as above.

8. Grease everything really well, You should be able to lower the regulator arms (this time with the window attached), wrestle the regulator back into place and screw it down.

9. Replace the side window channels.

This worked for me; about 45 mins total time. Without unscrewing the regulator there is no way I could have fit my hands inside the tailgate door to snap the lock washers on.
    Matthew W. Woodruff<br />[email protected]<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

uhhmn, i can do it in about 30 seconds with a 1/2 socket as a tool. i have drilled a pair of 2" holes in the panel. i duct taped the cut outs back on and the panel covers them up.
    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Working...
    X