Got a cam and timing set that lines up correctly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nikkormat
    232 I6
    • Jan 03, 2015

Got a cam and timing set that lines up correctly!

Hey thought you guys would be interested to know, I've had two cams and timing sets in a row now with perfect oil hole alignment.

First I had the higher end Cloyes true roller (3118) line up perfect on a speedpro/melling MTA1 in my 401 way back in 2015.

And today I have a Cloyes street true roller timing set (1118) line up dead nuts on with the hole drilled in my Summit K8600!

I thought this was very interesting, but I'd like the group's opinion on why this has occurred. I know there have been alot of issues with this alignment in the past. As well as issues with extra oil slots in the front of the cam gear bleeding of oil before it reaches the distributor gears. The Cloyes sets only have the two factory slots!

Does this proper alignment have more to do with the cam blank manufacturer? (CWC Textron?) Or with the manufacturer of the timing sets?

It's worthwhile to also mention that Cloyes lower end non roller set did not align correctly with the summit cam! And I couldn't find MADE IN THE USA stamped anywhere on it like the true rollers!
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

Great! I have been using Cloyes and have noticed they line up better as well. I just used them with a Crane and Comp cams and they lined up pretty well. I still touched them up a little to correct them.
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

pretty sure they're all SA Gear.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SC/397
        Administrator
        • Feb 01, 2010

No, the Cloyes are not SA Gears - at least they don't even look the same. The Edelbrock and Comp brands and many others are SA Gears for sure.
        These are a couple of SA Gears.

The Cloyes on the left, SA Gear to the right, Stock one on the bottom
        Last edited by SC/397; 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

yah cloyes might still make their own. i like that cloyes doesn't have all the oil slots for the pump cam. sa gear goes a little nuts on those oil slots.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SC/397
            Administrator
            • Feb 01, 2010

Yep. I braze them all shut. I have been using Cloyes and leaving the two slots open. If they get crazy like True Roller did and make the slots too big, I will start welding them shut again. You not only got to check every brand, you have to check every part.

Comment

• cma
              350 Buick
              • Jan 26, 2012

Last edited by DarkMonohue; 05-25-2017, 08:39 PM.
              Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
              X