• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • energyhutch
    232 I6
    • Nov 27, 2007

What do you use for soundproofing?

I have been driving the 78' Cherokee alot since I have gotten back from Arizona with it and am wanting keep driving it more than my 94' DD ... but the noise is horrendous! that being said, what have you guys had success with in the past, what have you had bad experiences with? Pics and websites of products would be great help - thanks in advance!
    -Hutch

----------------
    1994 Cherokee, the daily driver ...
    1976 Wagoneer, 401 complete with original vacuum disaster and electrical nightmare, both of which have been fixed prior to the sale of this rig
    1978 Cherokee, " Roadie " recently driven back from Phoenix to Texas ... no trailer involved!
  • misfittom138
    350 Buick
    • Dec 19, 2007

I turn the radio up! LOL
    81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• chrisnsarah
      360 AMC
      • Sep 24, 2000

Thick carpet and sound deadening padding. Use it over the rear wheelwells too. Some people swear by rhinolining the floor, wheel wells, and firewall, but I can't vouch for this.

Also, inspect your firewall and seal up any small hole you can find. Engine noise travels through any little hole that's missing body caulk or a grommet.
      '64 J200 thriftside
      '67 J2000 townside custom cab
      '68 Jeepster Commando
      '69 Super Wagoneer
      '75 J10
      '79 Cherokee S WT
      '75 Cherokee
      '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

• SnowShoe
        350 Buick
        • Feb 24, 2008

Sound Deadening

I have had great success using DynaMat on all the interior floors, wheel wells, side and door panels. I also added 1" foil faced insulation on the bottom of the roof (held with 3m) spray glue. I'm am adding same to the back of all exterior side panels that are accessable.

The benifits are both sound deadening to the near max and super insulation from the outside climate. My heater absolutly cooks and my A/C works great here in the summer Texas heat. I think ihave spent around $400. Money well spent for the dual benifits.

Hope this helps....

Comment

• energyhutch
          232 I6
          • Nov 27, 2007

I think I would definately pay $400 for strong insulation with climate control. So dynamat is a good option along with think carpet. As far as the carpet are yall using something like the BJ's setup or fabing your own? Any pics of homemade carpet fabs? $205 just seems kind of steep for a pre-molded kit, although that must be nice to just drop in !
          -Hutch

----------------
          1976 Wagoneer, 401 complete with original vacuum disaster and electrical nightmare, both of which have been fixed prior to the sale of this rig
          1978 Cherokee, " Roadie " recently driven back from Phoenix to Texas ... no trailer involved!

Comment

• Eugene 1
            304 AMC
            • Feb 04, 2006

Molded carpet is worth it to me. I had a couple of kits on different vehicles..as far as sound deadening goes i use is called Thermo Shield from Pepboys It works great! you have to glue it down yourself ! but it is worth for the price,Ithink it was 20 bucks for a 4x6 roll
            Last edited by Eugene 1; 03-07-2008, 03:42 AM.
            JEEP
            2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• funwheeling
              350 Buick
              • Nov 21, 2004

I used this: http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr works very well and cheaper then dyno.
              1991 Grand Wag "The Phoenix!" IS back from the ashes!!!
              My Yahoo
              BJ's 6" lift
              Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
              Mickey Thompson Wheels
              Dick Cepeck FC-II
              Killer 32 Nurf Bars
              Comp Cam 260H
              MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
              Edlebrock Headers
              Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's

Comment

• TexasJ10
                360 AMC
                • Jan 03, 2002

i like b-quiet Cheaper than dynamat and a better product

B-Quiet Ultimate Sound Deadener helps break up unwanted stress-causing sound waves and vibrations to improve the acoustics of your vehicle. Order it now!
                * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                  All Makes Combined
                  • Jun 30, 2003

I bought a bunch of this http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=51 and put it over some aluminum/foam insulation I got from Home Depot. I also lined the doors with it. I haven't done the rear or the roof yet, but I noticed quite a reduction in noise. I used Dynamat on the tranny hump.
                  Rob
                  1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                  Click for video

Comment

• energyhutch
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 27, 2007

PlasticBoob: That looks like a really good option, I think that might
                    be what it comes down to.
                    FunWheeling: Are you using the ensolite or the RAAMmat BXT?
                    I am really thinking about cutting some cardboard to shape for a template
                    and then cutting a piece of auto carpet to match, then finding
                    a piece of strong material to fold over and sow across the edge to prevent unstitching. This would be accompanied with some sound deadening device beneath. I feel that I might be able to do this for cheaper (not counting my time of course). But think about that, if we included "our time" into the equation for our projects?
                    All of our projects would be worth millions!
                    -Hutch

----------------

Comment

• Crossbones
                      258 I6
                      • Feb 05, 2006

I bought some stuff from menards, it comes in rolls and is similar to aluminum foil on both sides and is like bubble wrap in the middle. I cant vouch for it yet because my truck isnt running but I am optimistic.
                      Jeremy

1963 J-300 Thriftside

Comment

• energyhutch
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 27, 2007

We dont have a menards here in Lubbock, I am guessing that it is some kind of home improvement store?
                        -Hutch

----------------

Comment

• james1414d
                          350 Buick
                          • Oct 08, 2002

do not use dynamat. it is lead impregnated rubber. it cost 20 dollars a square foot. and it will improve nothing unless you listen to a lot of bass. that is its ONLY purpose. there are plenty of noise dampening mats that actually SERVE their purpose and are a lot cheaper and don't weight 10 lbs. plus per square foot.
                          Super wagoneer gone!

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
                            350 Buick
                            • Jul 04, 2006

Originally posted by james1414d
                            do not use dynamat. it is lead impregnated rubber. it cost 20 dollars a square foot. and it will improve nothing unless you listen to a lot of bass. that is its ONLY purpose. there are plenty of noise dampening mats that actually SERVE their purpose and are a lot cheaper and don't weight 10 lbs. plus per square foot.
                            Like what?
                            Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
                            But it's free"
                            Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• cntryby
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 08, 2008

Carpet

Guys,
                              I can't too much with insulation because my brother gets big round pieces of insulation from his work, that looks just like the insulation on the back of auto carpet.

The carpet though, is another story. I have two options,
                              1. The best for durability and good looks, I have an account with ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) I think everyone knows about thier carpets. With the right installation technique they look like factory.
                              2. Flex-form carpet. This carpet is amazing! It comes rolled up with no molding anywhere, but has no backing bonded to the carpet, so it can be stretched and form to the contour of just about anything. It will even form to those deep corners of the rear floor pans. The draw back to the flex form is that it is not as durable!! I have had good sucess by using a heavy coat of glue on the backing prior to installation. (Let it cure for 30 min bbefore install.) As long as you use a quality floor mat, and keep them in position, the carpet will be fine. But if you have your boots or shoes on the carpet, like under the gas pedal, it will roll the fibers out of the carpet like big fuzzy balls ya find on sweat shirts. It won't happen right away, but over the course of a year or two...it will. The best thing about flex form is it only cost 1/3 of ACC carpet. The two applications I would recomend it would be for cleaning up a vehicle to sale, or for a vehicle you want to look nice but doesn't have to be show room perfect for ever.

I mentioned this on the gfsj site, but I don't think I've mentioned it here...I've been doing automotive upholstry and trim work for close to 30 years, I supported my family for 7 years or so with a shop in winder, and have been doing it as a side job every since. If anyone has questions about triming a vehicle I'll be glad to help if I can. If your close enough and want hands on help, I'll charge for my labor, but most are shocked at the reasonable prices. I try to be fair to both the customer and myself. For example everything includeded a headliner for a 87 GW would run $70 with a written 1 year warranty. $20 more for visors.

I'm not look'n to pedal my trades, I've got a job...a good job, but if someone needs some help, and I have the time, I'll be will to help.
                              Grey haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X