• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iflypropjobs
    232 I6
    • Nov 25, 2007

Mystery engine knock

Would a jumped time on an AMC 360 (1982 vintage) cause the engine to knock? I have a mystery knock & I've tried everything I know before pulling the engine for an indepth investigation. I thought it was a collapsed lifter at first - starting like it was fighting compression, knock would come & go - so I replaced all the lifters & push rods. No change

The motor will run, it will knock for about the first 5 seconds & then stop - run fine till you gas it - knock starts again. The engine never looses oil pressure, it never even fluctuates and it never gets hot.

If it was a bottom end problem, I would think the problem would steadily get worse & oil pressure would start going away, especially when warm. It can sound really nasty, but has got me confused.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by iflypropjobs; 10-31-2008, 01:31 PM.
    How many paths must a Jeep drive down?

Currently without FSJ - but looking!

Sounds like a rod knock.
    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
      Sounds like a rod knock.
      yup. pull the pan,and the rod/main caps. if you catch it early sometimes new bearings will buy you a lot of time. once the journal is tore up you're done though.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• iflypropjobs
        232 I6
        • Nov 25, 2007

If its a rod knock, then why am I fighting compression when trying to start? I haven't messed with the timing & it was running fine before. Like I said - it's a big mystery that makes me think I really need to pull the motor & find out for sure.
        How many paths must a Jeep drive down?

Currently without FSJ - but looking!

Comment

Working...
        X