• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King Zarkon
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 23, 2020

An Interesting Story

Hey Everyone!

So I've had my 64 wagoneer for 2 weeks now, and I mostly love it. It had a runaway idle problem which seems to be fixed with the help of the gracious members here.

I took it on it's first long-ish drive yesterday; 3 hours to my cottage. All went well, but I couldn't help but feel like it was still running just a little bit rough.

I happened to have some seafoam top-end cleaner laying around, and I'd had good success with it on my '99 TJ, so I thought I would give it a try.

Warmed up the engine, revved it up a little with the help of a stick from the woods, blasted the whole can in there, let it hot soak for 15 minutes and then took it for a spirited drive as recommended on the can.

Made a noticeable difference immediately. Throttle response seemed noticeably improved, and it seemed to have just a little more pep than before.

Excellent... until....

I stopped to grab some quick supplies, came out of the store, and the wagoneer.... is on fire.

Smoke pouring out from under the hood.

I pop it open and the battery straps are gone, and the battery has jumped off it's moorings and landed directly on the exhaust manifold, which of course melted a hole in the bottom of the battery.

I had a bottle of water in the back so I extinguished the situation, but man what a smell.

I was stuck, so I did what any rational jeep redneck would do, and put the battery in a plastic bag, duct taped it on, and drove it home.

So... any suggestions on a new battery??

'Grande Verde' former Steamwhistle promo vehicle:
    70s AMC 360, 64 Wagoneer body & interior, 86 Cherokee frame
  • chubbinius
    258 I6
    • Oct 31, 2018

Holy smokes (pun intended)! That's crazy, but glad the smoke was only melting plastic and not a fully engulfed ride.

I have had good runs from several of the Interstate batteries I have had in my vehicles. Each one has run to the full time plus a month or more (6 years two months on the Commander, 6 years three months on the Pilot, and 6 years three months on Commander the second go round).

Plan to add one to the 70 Wagoneer when the battery it had at purchase dies.

Did you replace the battery tray and hold down?
    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
    -Dauntless 350 V8
    -D27 front/D44 rear
    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

I would also look for a battery clamp, or at the very least some bungee cords. I try to buy to buy batteries from a local source that will warranty them if the go bad early. Car battery's are getting spendy.

Comment

• King Zarkon
        230 Tornado
        • Mar 23, 2020

Yeah just replaced the battery and got a new rubber tie-down. Seems pretty solid. Jeep life always interesting
        'Grande Verde' former Steamwhistle promo vehicle:
        70s AMC 360, 64 Wagoneer body & interior, 86 Cherokee frame

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! (Chubbinius's pun)

I always buy my batteries from Costco for all my cars. They have, by far the best prices, and the warranty is really good too.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

Man, that could have gone much worse. Glad I am not reading about another one burning to the ground. I have bought a few Autozone batteries over the years. No complaints.

About the only thing worse than having this happen at the store is to have it happen on the trail. Witness...
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Interstate all the way. I have been torturing an Interstate in my CJ with severe draws winching trees and the occasional stupid stuck. The first one lasted 15 years with harder use, this one is fine and going strong after several years now.

You can get a original correct plastic coated battery hold down from partsdude4x4.com It is listed for a commando but is also correct for our wagoneers.
              Hopefully you still have the threaded rods.
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra
              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
                232 I6
                • May 31, 2019

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                Interstate all the way. I have been torturing an Interstate in my CJ with severe draws winching trees and the occasional stupid stuck. The first one lasted 15 years with harder use, this one is fine and going strong after several years now.

You can get a original correct plastic coated battery hold down from partsdude4x4.com It is listed for a commando but is also correct for our wagoneers.
                Hopefully you still have the threaded rods.
                Any idea if that will work correctly for a '65 J200? I'm missing mine as well-

Also- Glad your truck is okay! That's a scary moment!

Comment

Working...
                X