• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • la_leo
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 22, 2020

1982 Wagoneer good buy?

For about 200 bucks I'm looking at an 82 wagoneer with the 360 and 4x4. The inside is trashed, carpet and headliner will have to be removed. The seats are torn and tattered. The dash is kind of busted and it's got 200k miles on the dash. The door panels are torn up pretty good, and i have no idea if the electric windows work. But, it runs. The engine looks unmolested. I didn't see not a leak on the diffs, engine, transmission, or otherwise. The frame is solid, just surface rust. The body has no rot. The paint is poor, no clear coat left. But the lines are straight and doesn't appear to have been wrecked. Good tires, but not the orginal wheels. It has factory ac but I'm sure it doesn't work. What yall think? Anything to look for in particular?
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Seems like a good deal to me if you're looking for a project.

To me a good body is worth way more than good mechanicals.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

Holy thread creation batman.

For $200 you could piece it out and come out way ahead, so I say get it.
      I bought mine in similar shape for $1200, though it sounds like mine may be in slightly better shape (most woodgrain vinyl still in good shape for instance), and I could hear it run.

I got lucky with 3 of 4 windows working, and I needed only the kit of 4 springs for each door lock to stay up. New complete carpet and cargo area kit, lots of paint, new expansion plug on the driver's side of the 360, etc. Sure I've had to sink 2 or 3 thousand into resto thus far, but it's not difficult if you take your time and do things right.

I agree with SJTD, if the body is in good shape, and you have most/all the mechanical bones, and it doesn't look like much is missing anywhere, then you're already in good shape. You'll likely come out even, maybe a bit ahead if/when you get it put back together and eventually need/want to sell it (if you do all the work yourself).
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• la_leo
        230 Tornado
        • Jul 22, 2020

Thanks guys. My photos aren't posting on here. But the body is almost rust free, just surface rust in a few places. Mostly just the clear coat is gone.

Comment

• MysticRob
          350 Buick
          • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by la_leo
          Thanks guys. My photos aren't posting on here. But the body is almost rust free, just surface rust in a few places. Mostly just the clear coat is gone.
          Use Flickr to link photos from, it's one of the only sites that works here.
          --Rob--
          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• jeepman42
            232 I6
            • Mar 13, 2019

Re: 200$ GW- saw good tip from Desert Jeeps suggesting lifting carpet on front passenger side to ck floorboard rust .Pan is doubled here & often severe rust is not seen on the underside. trust that when you disassemble you will find more rust than you thought.
            Less you pay, the more you will spend,but for parts ,what a deal!
            Opinion(worth what you pay?)- Spend more to start. It will usually pay off in less total work& cost. My experience says there is much to do even on a good shape Wagoneer. Oh, you will spend more than you think on parts!
            LOL. My 2 GW'S are my favorite things to work on!!
            Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

I think it all depends on what you want to do with it. A $200 running rig like that would be a PERFECT trail rig starter but a waste of time if you want a nice clean daily driver with all the creature comforts. OR it would be a great parts rig if you get another rig with nice interior.

Me personally, I would buy it. Like others have said, you can part it out for more than $200 or just drive it as is, fix the things that bug you in the order that you want. I agree 1000% with:
              Originally posted by SJTD
              Seems like a good deal to me if you're looking for a project.

To me a good body is worth way more than good mechanicals.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
              X