X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophman
    232 I6
    • Mar 05, 2015

$10-15 on eBay, had one on our waggy for a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by gophman
      $10-15 on eBay, had one on our waggy for a year now.
      You get what you pay for.

aa
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• gophman
        232 I6
        • Mar 05, 2015

Yup, a working full harness.

Comment

Originally posted by gophman
          Yup, a working full harness.
          Yup, if you're fine with cheap parts, the ebay harness is perfect. Some people want better parts. Never going to get more than the absolutely cheapest parts available for $10-15. Just isn't going to happen.

If you don't have an issue with possibly (probably) replacing relays and connectors, hit up ebay.

aa
          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Mass
            232 I6
            • Sep 26, 2017

yup,
            Always going to be those diehard harbor freight buying, coupon toting, bald tire jalopy driving, toilet paper rationing, water ordering, lunch packing, bargain buyers out there.

Guilty!
            I usually go cheap till I see a need to go "better".
            This harness was the result of needing to go better.

I bought a cheap eBay harness and after having issues with the expected quality I took a minute to think about it... Do I want to chance it on such an important safety item?

The answer for me was no. I swear I stood there with the cheap harness in my hand I heard in my head "The Darwin is strong with this one".
            I actually feel really stupid for buying it in the first place especially since I've had my headlights go out before on the highway.

Imagine driving 70 on a pitch black rural highway going into a slight turn or cresting a hill and your headlights go off. Poof! No low beams, no high beams. Lights out.
            you'll experience a diamond-making pucker effect. Or worse. I was lucky AF to have moonlight.

This all boils down to the individual.
            Quality or price. We all tend to lean towards one or the other

No judgment.
            You know who you are.
            I am here if you want a quality harness.

P.s. Thanks tripwire! Glad you like it!
            89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• ZackN920
              350 Buick
              • Nov 18, 2015

I'm cheap, but not dangerously cheap-lol

Ya know, I've been wanting to build one of these kits myself for a year, but whenever I go to look for/at the parts... I'm just blown away with all the choices and don't know what to go with. I also have no clue where to find headlight sockets, or the adapter that you attach to one of the old sockets (to use as the trigger). So, I never get to it. May just have to get a kit from you Mass. It looks good. I do wonder though- how much does the whole thing cost YOU before building? Just curious. I know you need to (and I believe you should) get something for all the time you spend on these, but I'm just curious.
              1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
              Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
              ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Mass
                232 I6
                • Sep 26, 2017

Thanks Zack
                In parts I'm in it right at $56. Then add $10.65 for the flat rate shipping I'm at $66.65. Then add the 2 hours to make it.
                Not making a killing lol
                89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• gophman
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 05, 2015

Originally posted by Cecil14
                  Yup, if you're fine with cheap parts, the ebay harness is perfect. Some people want better parts. Never going to get more than the absolutely cheapest parts available for $10-15. Just isn't going to happen.

If you don't have an issue with possibly (probably) replacing relays and connectors, hit up ebay.

aa
                  Good deal if you ask me, ceramic headlamp connectors all wiring is at least double minimum requirements for the amps good soldered and crimped connections... Cheap relays but well worth the money, in fact I've bought a few as I can't buy the components for anyway near what these cost.

Comment

• Mass
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 26, 2017

You're right. It is a good deal if you stick with the stock 35w/65w sealed beams and you're fine with cheap everything including questionable relays. Free country have at it.

But it's kinda like a Mitsubishi driver going to a Lexus dealer and telling everyone what a great deal the 2018 $11,000 78hp Mirage is.
                    Different strokes for different folks.

Hey you know what else is a good deal? ...a house in Detroit.
                    89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• ZackN920
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 18, 2015

Originally posted by Mass
                      Thanks Zack
                      In parts I'm in it right at $56. Then add $10.65 for the flat rate shipping I'm at $66.65. Then add the 2 hours to make it.
                      Not making a killing lol
                      Hey, that's not too bad. Equals to $16.67 and hour. More than the $15 an hour I charge for manual labor hmm, should up my rates...

Well, I'm interested-even though I'm still running the stock headlights. No current plans to change that part. What I want to change are the so called fog lights. Want to make them driving lights and add some real fogs under the bumper, maybe built into the spoiler.
                      Side note: There must be a reduction in voltage, as my GW isn't as bright as my XJ, and that has the same exact same lights in it! So there's room for improvement... Gotta wait though until I get some extra funding.
                      Last edited by ZackN920; 01-16-2019, 11:48 PM.
                      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Mass
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 26, 2017

I'm actually much lower than $16/hr if you factor in the forum time, research/development, and part procurement

That would be kinda interesting mounting fog lights in the spoiler. I agree though, definitely a problem if the lights aren't as bright. I had a sizable voltage drop on mine. My low beams were marginally better than daytime running lights. Well if you're low on cash you can try making a harness based on the diagram I posted in the vendor section. Maybe you have some parts laying around to make it work
                        89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• SkylinePCG
                          258 I6
                          • Jan 11, 2005

Mass, no need to defend. The research, development, tweaking, retrying, getting parts, boxing and shipping the finished product, that all takes time away from family, friends, work, other projects and hobbies... thank you for taking a stab at it. And if you make a buck, good for you. Charity is all well and good but it doesn’t typically put food on the table. Certainly not a narrow niche like this.

If someone’s got an issue, they can just make their own or buy a pos on eBay.

I can’t believe this is even being discussed. Gimme a break.
                          1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
                          Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

• Mass
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 26, 2017

[quote=SkylinePCG]Mass, no need to defend. The research, development, tweaking, retrying, getting parts, boxing and shipping the finished product, that all takes time away from family, friends, work, other projects and hobbies... thank you for taking a stab at it. And if you make a buck, good for you. Charity is all well and good but it doesn
                            89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

Working...
                            X