International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Vacuum question

Alright I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately but I am trying to get all my problems sorted out before I return home. I only have a short amount of time to work on the truck before I leave again

Anyways. Again I can't post pictures due to my super slow internet connection. 1980 J10 Auto NP208. My question is about the vacuum reservoir. Currently it has one line going through the firewall (to the heater controls I am assuming) and other than that nothing. There is one bigger hose on the right forward side if looking at the cab that is just dangling..not connected to anything.

Also the port on the maniforld by the PCV (which apparently had popped off at the in-line valve) which I believe goes to the vacuum reservoir is plugged with a standard vacuum manifold threaded plug. The vapor canister was removed but I want to add it back. Basically does anyone have a vacuum diagram for the reservoir? I see the ones going to all the emissions stuff but not exactly what I am looking for.
To Do: A/C, AFI TBI, fiberglass new fan shroud and install fan clutch, fiberglass console, hydroboost, repair body work and PAINT!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM
out of order

http://oljeep.com/gw/vac/GW_vacuum.html
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
snide. snarky. grease covered.

http://tc.wagoneer.org/2012/08/fsj-v...uting.html?m=1

Almost at the bottom of the page there's a highlighted evap canister and vacuum ball section.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:58 AM

yea I looked at those and still not 100% what I am looking for.

Since I have the NP208 should my vacuum reservoir only have 2 lines? 1 going to the intake to get vacuum and 1 going in the firewall for heater controls?
To Do: A/C, AFI TBI, fiberglass new fan shroud and install fan clutch, fiberglass console, hydroboost, repair body work and PAINT!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastGuardTruck
yea I looked at those and still not 100% what I am looking for.

Since I have the NP208 should my vacuum reservoir only have 2 lines? 1 going to the intake to get vacuum and 1 going in the firewall for heater controls?
Yes. There should be one to feed the vacuum signal to the canister and one that distributes the vacuum from the canister. So yes two lines. On mine the "output" vacuum line distributes the vacuum to both the 4x4 and the heater controls. Manifold vacuum into the canister and a "Y" out to the heater and 4x4. And there's a check valve on the way to the heater I believe.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 AM

Oh whew that is really good news. way easier to fix now. I will be removing that since I am adding a combined AC/heat system that gets rid of all the heating equipment. And my 4x4 is the np208 which is mechanical so I guess I wont be needing that anymore.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM

So the vent controls aren't vacuum anymore?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Just my two cents but what's the great need for getting rid of the vac reservoir?
Don't know what AC/Heat/Def system you're swapping to but unless it completely replaces all the stock duct work with it's own version I'd keep the reservoir until you're "sure" you don't need it. The stock vac has nothing to do with actual heating or turning anything on/off. The vac system controls (opens/closes) the doors on the duct work. It directs the heated air flow to either the floor for Heat or to the windshield for Defrost. Yeah I know you live in FL and think "hell I don't need heat down here". Which is correct to a point BUT rumor has it that it can get a bit humid down there. Trust me there WILL be times you'll really want the Defrost/Defog function of a a correctly plumbed and working HEAT/DEF system. Doan be afraid of the very simple vac system on a FSJ. It's not a parasitic hp/mpg robbing system. Years ago I used to fear dislike anything vac figuring what a lame old way to do things but since owning a few old diesel 240D MB 123 series that have vac pump system that controls the door locks, ign switch and eng shut down all running off the same single system If there was a vac issue anywhere plan on diving into the miles of vac hose plumbing inside all 4 doors. I've learned to appreciate the insanely simple vac system of a FSJ. Point being the reservoir isn't hurting anything even if not in use so don't remove it till you "know" it's not needed. If you're running cruise control you'll need vac for that too but those systems usually have their own separate reservoirs. Doan be tearing out stuff just cause you don't understand it's function.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastGuardTruck
There is one bigger hose on the right forward side if looking at the cab that is just dangling..not connected to anything.

What's up with this? Sounds like it's the brake booster hose or the powervalve. If it's just dangling, your truck must be running like poo.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaisle
What's up with this? Sounds like it's the brake booster hose or the powervalve. If it's just dangling, your truck must be running like poo.

Or is it from the cruise control? Vapor cannister?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 AM

Pretty sure looking at it now its the line that goes into the manifold from the vacuum reservoir. It has been cut by the PO. Definitely no problems with my brakes.

And also yes the system will be electronically controlled through the ECU. The servo can acctuate all doors and vents and valves. I know how vacuum works, I just won't need it.

I would upload pics if I could but cannot.