• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • del
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2006

cam bolt

Greg, did you just buy a bolt with a thicker head and grind it into the dome shape? I cant remember if the stock bolt is thinner than a usual bolt. And if so, did you mock up the housing to check the clearance?....Del
    1987 Wagoneer
    4" BDS Springs, 31"x10.50's
    401/727/229

Comment

• Ghinmi
      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I just bought a regular grade 8 bolt. I think the head might be a little thinner than stock. I used a washer as a shim to set the play. I held the cover on and checked play until I got what felt about right, knowing that I'd be adding play with the gasket. If all goes well it shouldn't ever touch the timing cover anyway. I would've used the factory bolt but it has a deep criss-cross pattern on the head so you can't grind it smooth. I chucked up the bolt in a cordless drill and ran it against the belt sander. Super easy way to do it.
      Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
      http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• del
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2006

washer

great idea, didn't think about using washer to shim bolt. So how far out are you from driving the beast? Need to start planning my fall road trip!
        1987 Wagoneer
        401/727/229

Comment

• Ghinmi
          Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I'm honestly hoping to have it installed, running, and racing this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to keep you and everyone else in the loop.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project

Comment

• 04ltz400rider
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 09, 2012

Can you still buy Indy intake manifolds like that?
            78 J-10 AMC 360/t400/QT/Dana 44s with 4.10s/4"suspension lift and 2"body/33/12.50r15tires.

73 J2000 on a bagged 65 C10 chassis cut down 11" AMC 360/Tf904.

1950 Ford f100 cut down to fit 79 cherokee chassis AMC 401/t400/QT/Dana 44s and 32/12.50-15s.

Comment

• Ghinmi
              Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Sure can. Indy part number 401-I4-3, price is up to $399 now, ouch! The plenum and runner design is way wrong for all but the highest horsepower engines.

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

looks good. like the main bearing oil modification. looks a lot better than the oil line.
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Ghinmi
                  Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Yeah, the idea came up on the AMC forums once. It was generally frowned upon, people said oil under the bearing would make it spin, etc. News flash, it gets done to all 5 mains of pretty much every big block Buick that gets sent out of the shop and it's never been a problem.

I think I push this motor harder than most and have only had one bearing problem that was the transmission's fault. But you have to have the oil line or it'll fail...

Comment

• 04ltz400rider
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jan 09, 2012

Originally posted by Ghinmi
                    Sure can. Indy part number 401-I4-3, price is up to $399 now, ouch! The plenum and runner design is way wrong for all but the highest horsepower engines.
                    Thanks, I'd like to build a twin turbo 401 in the near future it will work for that right?
                    78 J-10 AMC 360/t400/QT/Dana 44s with 4.10s/4"suspension lift and 2"body/33/12.50r15tires.

73 J2000 on a bagged 65 C10 chassis cut down 11" AMC 360/Tf904.

1950 Ford f100 cut down to fit 79 cherokee chassis AMC 401/t400/QT/Dana 44s and 32/12.50-15s.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

For most, the torker would work better and be a ton cheaper. Probably be better on this one too. I just had this one laying around in my parts collection and used it because it mounts the carb straight and not an angle like the torker.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                        Shakes hands with danger
                        • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Ghinmi
                        For most, the torker would work better and be a ton cheaper. Probably be better on this one too. I just had this one laying around in my parts collection and used it because it mounts the carb straight and not an angle like the torker.
                        Oh, but the twisted carb orientation on the Torker looks so cool!

Well, I think it does, but maybe that's just because I saw so many of them in Hot Rod and Car Craft when I was an impressionable young kid. They also featured a lot of Candy Brandywine paint jobs and crushed velvet upholstery, but those haven't held up quite as well.
                        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                          Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the angled carb. It was just more convenient to have it straight in this application because of the carb hat that I run.

Comment

• del
                            327 Rambler
                            • Apr 13, 2006

hat

you running a carb tux with that carb hat? Maybe that's why your engine looks so good!
                            1987 Wagoneer
                            401/727/229

Comment

• Ghinmi
                              Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

It needs shiny shoes to go along with it Del!

Motor is home and pretty much ready to be bolted onto the trans and dropped in. Getting close. The cam is 235/248 with a 113 lobe separation and .574/.534 lift.

Got to do a few things to the trans before I can bolt it to the motor.

Ugly empty engine bay.

Comment

• jeepin87
                                232 I6
                                • Nov 27, 2007

Is that a stock bell housing? Looks different.
                                Lots of rigs, parts, and lost knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X