• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivantheigor
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 16, 2020

Electrical Woes

See if anyone more electrically inclined can help me out.
    After years of coveting and asking, my neighbor gifted me a 1979 (I’m pretty sure) Jeep Cherokee Chief on the condition I get it off his property. He only visits here a couple weeks of the year and he tired of spending so much time working on it. It usually gets run a couple days every year. Never had any electrical problems previously other than an always running heater fan.

Put in a battery and turn the key to accessory. Got lights on the dash. Tried turning it over. Nothing.
    Now no more lights on the dash, no power to anything.
    Replaced the starter solenoid as a Hail Mary, but no luck. Re-charged the battery, no luck.
    I hate electrical problems

I have been looking over the electrical schematics and cant seem to find anything that would result in a systemic problem.
    I am not electrically inclined, and have only a very basic cursory knowledge. Any help is much appreciated.
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

I'd check all the grounds.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• Heep-J4000
      350 Buick
      • Feb 09, 2014

Check the battery for having enough power when starting!
      Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
      73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
      80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
      70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
      85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
      83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

look at the fuseable links at the battery to starter solenoid area, also did ou hook up wires correctly when installing the new parts.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Go buy a test probe light. Clean all the grounds. Remove the terminal and sand it. I have even put dielectric gel on the fresh sanded metal to stave off more corrosion. Corrosion is usually what causes issues. The test light will tell you where power is. And where it is not. Funny how you would think lack of use would make stuff last longer. Not so as cars like to run and running them makes them last longer. You will get it. Free is a darn good price that warrants your time. The payoff will be great.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

Clean and tighten the battery terminals. Clean the connections to the solenoid and the starter. Try a different battery.

Still not good, use a jumper cable between the battery (+) post and the starter post on the solenoid. The starter will crank if the battery is not dead. Be careful - it will crank regardless of whather it's in gear of the key is on or whatever. Don't let it accidentally start and run you over.
            Last edited by tgreese; 06-19-2020, 09:16 AM.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• ivantheigor
              230 Tornado
              • Jun 16, 2020

Originally posted by MysticRob
              I'd check all the grounds.
              I think this was it.
              I removed, wire brushed, and cleaned all the grounds I could find, and now it works. Wish I could have isolated it to a singular problem, but working is enough for now.
              Found lots of unconnected wires, which certainly isn’t a fun endeavor to ameliorate

Comment

Working...
              X