Clear All
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Narrowed it down I guess

Howell $1300
    FITECH $995
    Hamilton $1400

I'm an intermediate driveway mechanic. Never done this before but willing to try.

I'm leaning towards the Fitech because of price and seems a lot less clutter and it seems you don't have to mess with the distributor. I've never timed a vehicle before but somewhat have the idea.

Upon reading and scouring for quite some time, Some say you need to mess with the distributor anyways and it seems there 100 mods that everyone argues about in lingo I don't really understand. I don't want to drill a hole in my distributor cap to make sure everything lines up right that I welded together and wired shut after I tap and die a screw that I ground down so it would clear the spinner mechanism. This just sounds like something I'd screw up really bad.

Howell and Hamiltons have a distributor with the kit already setup I suppose? Fitech claims will work with my stock one.

I'm also confused about if I need to buy a fuel sending upgrade. I'd like to upgrade but not sure what to buy here.
    They all 3 seem to have a new fuel pump with kit but all offer other alternatives.

Fitech has some fuel command center can thing. I can't figure out what to do with it they say it's a fuel pump but it looks huge. Where would this thing mount? Seems a good thing to have? Does it make noise? They sell another inline fuel pump separately too and a linkage for $29. Would I need all these? That would put it over $1600.

Gas tank and fuel sending unit- I just put in a newly engineered fuel sending unit piece of crap from TGW that I had to mess with 19+ times to finally get it to work right. Would I keep all that the same or do I need a new gas tank with an in tank fuel pump so it's quieter on the end of my sending unit? And a lot of talk about changing my fuel lines to bigger ones rated for hi pressure.

Also should buy the the Doug Thorlel headers they sell on BJs and have them installed first? Does Doug Thorley come with a pre installed bunghole? I was thinking to order them and have a muffler shop install them and put in a o2 bunghole so I could just screw in the o2 sensor, or should I attempt this install myself and drive down and have them install the bunghole. Seems easy enough to do but seems easy enough to not get a good gasket seal.

I'm trying to plan this thing out so that I can order everything at once and only have to do it once and not be missing anything, and get it right.Never done something like this so I could use some advice here on a list because I'm not quite sure all I'll need. I'll just go through their instructions step by step so hope they have good ones.

Thanks

Stock 87 GW.
    Last edited by ShagWagon; 08-06-2016, 10:14 AM.
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
  • BigOberg
    oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
    • Jan 20, 2015

Check out my build. I went with the Howell and it was well worth the money.
    Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

• asudchiman
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 03, 2016

I'd like to follow along. I too would consider the upgrade. At this point, it seems the Howell is one of the most popular. This may be because Wagonmaster uses it, but I am glad to hear all of the input.
      Current Jeep Fleet:
      1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
      ------------------------------------------------
      Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• asudchiman
        327 Rambler
        • Feb 03, 2016

Originally posted by BigOberg
        I have read your build thread many times. Good stuff!
        Are you still using your Jeep as a DD?

Do you have any "lawnmower" smells from your Jeep? I ask because the carb smell is triggering migraines for my wife. My hope is that EFI with a closed system will eliminate the smell and make it more like a modern car.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
        Current Jeep Fleet:
        Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• BigOberg
          oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
          • Jan 20, 2015

I haven't been using it as my daily driver now. Only because my new job came with a brand new company car. But I still drive the GW on the weekends and any chance I get. I went a good six months though driving her daily with no issues. As far as the Howell goes I do not have any fuel smell at all.
          Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

If your rig is truly stock w/ 2bbl carb?
            You can add a 4bbl intake, valley pan gasket, and misc. to $ total/list.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
              350 Buick
              • Apr 10, 2016

I read it before. Looks nice. I re read it again. Not too much on the process. Did you change your gas lines? They looked bad in the pic. You mentioned you were going to do a write up when you had the time about the Howell. How is the distributor they sent you? We're the instructions easy for it?
              87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• ShagWagon
                350 Buick
                • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                If your rig is truly stock w/ 2bbl carb?
                You can add a 4bbl intake, valley pan gasket, and misc. to $ total/list.
                I'm not too sure but I think so. Can you tell me what I got here?
                Last edited by ShagWagon; 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Yep 2bbl intake & carb.
                  If you go GM TBI they come with adapter to install on stock intake.
                  If you go fitech you will need a 4bbl intake manifold.
                  Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 10, 2016

Yep 2bbl intake & carb.
                    If you go GM TBI they come with adapter to install on stock intake.
                    If you go fitech you will need a 4bbl intake manifold.
                    Well that's good to know.

How hard is it to find an intake manifold? And is it hard to install? Seems simple if I'm already there if it's not to spendy.

Comment

• asudchiman
                      327 Rambler
                      • Feb 03, 2016

I haven't been using it as my daily driver now. Only because my new job came with a brand new company car. But I still drive the GW on the weekends and any chance I get. I went a good six months though driving her daily with no issues. As far as the Howell goes I do not have any fuel smell at all.
                      Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear.
                      Current Jeep Fleet:
                      Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• ShagWagon
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 10, 2016

I need this one? Not sure what I'd be getting here but seems like a good start. Not sure how much more I'd have to put into it to get it going.

Or this one? $275 seems reasonable price.

Designed for 1970-91 street 290-304-343-360-390-401ci V8 engines without EGR. Will not accept stock Motorcraft spread-bore carburetor. This intake manifold is a stock replacement/street legal part on 360-401ci V8s with OEM carb; 1970-72; except stock equipped EGR. Installation Notes: Port exit dimensions: 1.03'' x 2.07'' Recommended Intake Gaskets: Fel-Pro 375-MS96011 Manifold height: (A) 4.20'' , (B) 5.50'' Click here to determine carburetor pad height. Manifold has two center bolt holes offset Throttle cable adapter p/n 350-8034 required for 1979 and later vehicles. Carburetor Recommendations: OEM 4-bbl. square-bore carb carb will work with non-EGR system carb has no provision for evaporative canister requires p/n 350-8008 or p/n 350-8024 stud, nut & washer kit carb acceptable to factory cruise control Edelbrock Performer 600cfm Carburetor p/n 350-1405 . carb will work with non-EGR system carb has no provision for evaporative canister, requires p/n 350-8008 or p/n 350-8024 stud, nut & washer kit carb acceptable to factory cruise control carb has manual choke only Edelbrock Performer 600cfm Carburetor p/n 350-1406 . carb will work with non-EGR system carb has no provision for evaporative canister, carb acceptable to factory cruise control. Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 650cfm Carburetor p/n 350-1805 . carb will work with non-EGR system carb has no provision for evaporative canister, requires p/n 350-8008 or p/n 350-8024 stud, nut & washer kit carb acceptable to factory cruise control carb has manual choke only Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 650cfm Carburetor p/n 350-1806 carb will work with non-EGR system carb has no provision for evaporative canister carb acceptable to factory cruise control

Seems I have an 87 which is different. Am I pre pollution control? Not sure . Seems they made a change between 86-87 for Intake manifolds. Don't want to get the wrong one. What am I looking for here.

Maybe some other option for a manifold I don't know of like used or off another truck or something..

Thanks
                        Last edited by ShagWagon; 08-08-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Do NOT need 1st one. That is modified for MPFI.
                          You can buy new via summit/jegs, or used.
                          Post in wanted section or watch eBay and CL for used.
                          They run $100-$150 used, just be sure it is in good shape.
                          No stripped bolt holes or messed up gasket/mating surfaces.

If buying new I like this manifold.
                          Free Shipping - Offenhauser 360 Degree Single-Quad High-Rise Intake Manifolds with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Intake Manifolds, Carbureted at Summit Racing.

I think it would do well with FI.
                          But Edelbrock performer is fine as well.
                          Last edited by babywag; 08-08-2016, 10:30 AM.
                          Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 10, 2016

Do NOT need 1st one. That is modified for MPFI.
                            You can buy new via summit/jegs, or used.
                            Post in wanted section or watch eBay and CL for used.
                            They run $100-$150 used, just be sure it is in good shape.
                            No stripped bolt holes or messed up gasket/mating surfaces.

If buying new I like this manifold.
                            Free Shipping - Offenhauser 360 Degree Single-Quad High-Rise Intake Manifolds with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Intake Manifolds, Carbureted at Summit Racing.

I think it would do well with FI.
                            But Edelbrock performer is fine as well.
                            That one looks good but says not available till march 2017...

FITECH is starting to add up to about $1700 out the door with the $300 manifold and $400 In gas command add ins..

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Again just my opinions...

You don't need the $400 fuel command center, or the $250 fuel system.

A decent pump, and filter will do the job just fine.
                              You can get a walbro for ~$75 and a corvette regulating filter for ~$40(if going with returnless fuel system) .
                              Or you can buy an OE style pump for less.

The fuel command center has a 340 L/PH pump that is more suited for a 600-900hp engine.

IMHO the 600hp system is way overkill...4 80lb injectors.
                              The 400hp system is also mildly overkill, but not nearly as much.
                              Just like with a carb that is too big, a FI system that is too big will not perform optimally, but it will work.

You'll have to decide if a color touch screen, and timing control are worth the extra $$ to you?

Just don't get all sucked into the marketing hype.
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X