• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrjr5000
    230 Tornado
    • May 13, 2019

Best Spark Plugs to Use

All, I have an '88 I purchased earlier this summer and I'm performing a major tune up. It was converted to electronic ignition by the previous owner, and I am hoping someone can suggest the best spark plugs to use. I assume I need to use something a bit higher end than OEM. Also, any suggestions on distributor cap and rotor to use in this case?

Thanks for any recommendations.
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

Could you clarify a few bits? An '88....but what model....there were a few J-trucks made in that model year designation, but otherwise it was all GWs. I'm assuming GW, but please clarify so we know what we're talking about.

I would assume a 360 engine, but please verify that bit as well.

Also...what do you mean by "converted to electronic ignition". ALL '75+ models should have been electric ignition from the factory (74 and back were points style). But there were a couple different types used, and there are also modifications (TFI/HEI, etc.) that many FSJers have done on their Jeeps. There are also EFI modification (a very different animal) options as well. Just want to make sure we know what we're talking about in that aspect as well.

Then hopefully people can help you out more.
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

An 88 came stock with a Duraspark electronic ignition. Stock plugs work just fine. If some other ign has been swapped in you may want to increase the gap a bit. Cap choice is dependent on what dist you have.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

make sure whatever cap and rotor you get has brass terminals. The tin terminals SUCK. It is worth the extra money for the brass parts.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• jrjr5000
          230 Tornado
          • May 13, 2019

Sorry, should have been clearer when I posted; I have an '88 Grand Wagoneer with the standard 360. Still has carburetor but no coil; has been converted.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

So you have a gm hei distributor in then?

Comment

• jrjr5000
              230 Tornado
              • May 13, 2019

Not sure; how can I tell?

Comment

Originally posted by jrjr5000
                Not sure; how can I tell?
                Pictures say a thousand words. Snap a couple engine bay shots and post em up. That will help us identify what you've got.

For a quick ID, is the coil in the cap on your distributor? HEI distributors typically have a big square bulge in the cap where the coil sits.
                1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

I use NGK FR5 Stock No. 7373 on all of the AMC engines that I build. They have a 5/8" hex which makes them easier to install and they made a big difference on the dyno.
                  The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SC/397
                    I use NGK FR5 Stock No. 7373 on all of the AMC engines that I build. They have a 5/8" hex which makes them easier to install and they made a big difference on the dyno.
                    DAH!!! I just put plugs in last week!!! Now I want to swap for these! DANG IT!!!!
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Rod2
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 11, 2004

I use NGK IRIDIUMx GR41X 7149. They spark through oil and whatever other crud appears on plugs. They also work well with the Pertronix igniter.
                      Rod Skaggs
                      '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

i like NGK too. i run a heat range under stock. cant recall the part #.
                        Originally posted by Hankrod
                        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                          DAH!!! I just put plugs in last week!!! Now I want to swap for these! DANG IT!!!!

Me Too! Now I want new ones too. Wish I had read this before I bought the new ones.
                          '72 J4500

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
                            350 Buick
                            • Jul 04, 2006

Champion Copper.
                            Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
                            But it's free"
                            Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jul 18, 2003

I am running these and really love them. They had a very noticeable difference in the way it ran after I installed them. Still waiting to hear from someone who has installed them to see if they had similar results.
                              So I thought I would share a mod I did and get some opinions and see if anyone else is interested in trying the mod too. But first, a little back story on how this came about. So I have 3 other jeeps and they all have the 4.0. I have always wondered why the spark plugs in the 4.0 has a lot longer electrode than all other
                              79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                              Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                              93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

Working...
                              X