• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Distordera
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 18, 2016

Need help with door latch on J20

I really need some help with trouble shooting my door latch on my -81 J20.

When I open the door from inside the car the door latch "falls down" and when I try to close the door the latch has the wrong angle and I can't close the door.

The solution is to get out of the car, press the open button on the outside handle of the door and manually correct the angle of the latch.
    Then I can close the door normally.

Are there any solutions for this?
  • backroadin'
    350 Buick
    • Aug 11, 2004

I think there is a small spring that keeps the latch from doing that when you operate the handle? Just thinking out loud........
    It's kindof a pain to take off the inside panels, but if you took off two, you could compare.
    1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• Distordera
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 18, 2016

Originally posted by backroadin'
      I think there is a small spring that keeps the latch from doing that when you operate the handle?
      Yes! Thank you for the tip.

I have a pic with the defect spring.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new latch assembly and what article number? Preferably one of the large resellers (Jegs, Summit) because it's easier to import to Sweden.

Comment

Working...
      X