International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
It seems kind of unfair for me to have two ...
NOPE! Not at all! You earned it.
A) You saved an almost unsaveable tailgate, then posted on how you did it so others who may come across a tailgate that is rough, may be able to save one
B) You turned an AMC tailgate into a Kaiser tailgate. Again, see A; in the future someone may come across an AMC tailgate but needing a Kaiser Tailgate they may buy it. Now it's doable because you have done/posted on it
C) FSJs have a way of multiplying. You may end up with another FSJ in the coming years and maybe it will need a tailgate. there is nothing wrong with keeping a spare tailgate. Heck, Sunbeam fanatic bought a NOS Cherokee WT body! That meant someone was hoarding a NOS body. That is WAAAaaaayyyy more unfair than a tailgate...
Sunbeam Fanatic's build
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-05-2019, 04:03 PM
350 Buick

Please slap some paint on that primer job! I would hate to see your tailgate begin to rust.

I have been using Automotive Touch Up paint on my wag. Its a bit expensive but I buy it in a aerosol can.

You can see my spray paint project at my Valance and Tailgate paint touchup project
Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Please slap some paint on that primer job! I would hate to see your tailgate begin to rust.

I have been using Automotive Touch Up paint on my wag. Its a bit expensive but I buy it in a aerosol can.

You can see my spray paint project at my Valance and Tailgate paint touchup project

I know primer is porous and should be sealed with paint and if I planned on leaving on there for a long time it would get painted but I don't plan on it being there for long and we are going into the dry season here. The metal underneath has been treated. The reason I stopped at primer was if I decide to sell I feel the new owner will prefer it to be in primer so he can paint it his own colors. If instead I decide to put it back I will finish the body work I started and paint it before putting it away.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:40 PM
258 I6

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

OK maybe not completely but it isn't a tailgate.

A while back I posted my plans for making my air filter housing a dual snorkel and did a little photo shop to show what it would look like. Well now that I have the fuel injection all taken care of I decided to proceed with making the dual snorkel happen.

I ran into a bit of a setback when I realized the 2nd breather I have was a little different from the stock one. different enough that it would be obvious, to me anyway, that it was made out of 2 different breathers whenever I opened the hood so that put the idea on hold.

Then when I went to pick up tailgate #2 there was an extremely rusty breather in the back of the truck that the tailgate seller let me have for my 2nd favorite price...FREE

It was pretty rough though but just what I was looking for

Since Monday is my Friday and I got the tailgates swapped out Sunday I didn't really feel like getting started on tailgate #2 so I started on the breather. I began by cutting off the snorkel from the junk breather. I took it apart and sand blasted it inside and out.

Because I am now running fuel injection I don't need the diverter to work and I didn't want to get blasting sand where it could do damage I removed those parts. I then tack welded the lower flap in place.

The actuator on top will be reinstalled once I get everything treated and painted but it won't be connected to anything.

That was as far as I got Monday.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 06-06-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 PM
258 I6

Today I took the breather off my truck after deciding where the 2nd snorkel should go.

I then cut the scrap breather up to serve as a temporary air cleaner and installed that.

It's ugly but it will keep the dirt and bugs out for a day or two.

I then began the process of converting. As luck, or AMCs design would have it the nipple for the oil breather is just to the left of where the snorkel works best so it didn't have to be moved.

I marked around where the I needed to cut the good breather.

and carefully cut it out

and carefully fitted the 2nd snorkel in place.

Then as luck had it our welder happened to walk in. He was working on a project for the company so had the TIG all set up and ready to go so I asked if he would tack everything in place for me.

A few minutes later and the 2nd snorkel was all welded in place.

So I now have a dual snorkel air cleaner but I still need to treat, prime paint and put the actuator back on which should be easy enough to do tomorrow.

I did notice that the engine seems to run better and smoother with the make shift open breather. I didn't expect that. I'm guessing the single snorkel is a bit on the restrictive side so I'm hoping the duel snorkel lets the air flow a little freer and helps the engine to breath better.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:18 PM
258 I6

This morning I got the air filter finished and back on the truck.

I think it looks pretty good and the engine is actually quieter and runs smoother which tells me the new fuel injection wasn't getting enough air with the single snorkel.

With that finished I turned my attention to tailgate #2.

There are a few things I don't think I mentioned about #2. One was the spot of rust where some moss had grown in the back of the truck

and the usual trailer dent that all of these have, but it had been filled with bondo.

So first order of business was to investigate those areas and see just what I have to do to fix them.

The rust is pretty straight forward. It will actually need a pretty significant area replaced

The trailer dent required removal of about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of bondo and this is what I found

Besides the dent it looks like there was a quarter size hole which had a plug brazed in place. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to approach this one but I will work it out.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman

it looks like there was a quarter size hole which had a plug brazed in place.
That looks like a bullet hole from a .45!

Your air filter looks amazing!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I think it is a bit larger than that but if someone were replacing a bullet hole I suppose they might make a plug the size of a quarter. The entire dented area is about the size of a tailgate latch. Since I've already done one of those I might just cut that out and do it again.

My neighbor said he has a stud gun for pulling dents that I can use if he can find it so hopefully he finds it and I can use that, otherwise I'm not sure, maybe cut it out, maybe weld washers to it and use that for a slide hammer or maybe cut a plate out of the back side and pound it out then weld the plate back in.

Quote:
Your air filter looks amazing!!!

Thank you. It was actually much easier than I expected. Of course it helps to have a welder who can make tiny welds on very thin metal. I'm actually surprised that there is a noticeable difference in how smooth the engine is and how much power it's putting out. I'm actually probably going to have to make an adjustment to the FI to compensate for the extra air. Looking at the data log it appears to be getting too much at idle now.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:58 PM
258 I6

Quote:

I might have spoken too soon on that. This morning I took a closer look at the tailgate with a die grinder and a sanding disc and discovered the back side of the tailgate also had bondo. Under that bondo was this

That is a bigger messier hole that has also been plugged with a brazed patch. I cant think of many things that go in one size and come out bigger besides a bullet. So I'm thinking maybe it has been shot. If it was it happened a very long time ago.

I would sure like to know the story behind that one.

Other things I did today was straighten out the dents in the main field and cut out the rust.

Then I cut a patch panel out of my old rusted out tailgate

I just need to clean up the hidden rust, trim it up and weld it in place on tailgate #2

My plan is to make up a batch of rust remover and soak the lower part of the tailgate over my weekend so I can weld the patch in next week.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 PM
258 I6

Today I made the decision to cut out an area on the upper back side of the tailgate to gain access to the bullet hole dent. I figure I need to replace the plugs that someone else put in there and want to be able to treat and seal the hidden rust I knew I would find. I figured I need to weld in a patch on the lower part anyway so I may as well do one on the upper part since that went very well on tailgate #1.

The rust in the upper part isn't really all that bad but my plan was to soak the lower section in home made rust remover so I may as well do the whole thing.

Before I made the patch to fill the hole I cut it a little bigger in order to beat out a second dent that was just outside of the original hole.

That done I took what was left of the new metal I had bought for tailgate #1 and made a patch. Tomorrow I will bring it home, make up some sort of tub to hold it, make a batch of rust remover and get it soaking to derust it.

Thursday I should be able to start putting it back together and hopefully get it on the truck withing the next 2 weeks.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM
258 I6

I got the back side of the tailgate pretty much stripped today.

It's actually quite straight, a few small dings and dents but nothing that can't be fixed.

The next step is to make up a tub and some rust remover and get it derusted.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:46 PM
258 I6

Today I made up a little soaking pool and 35 or 40 gallons of rust remover and submerged the tailgate in it.

I found the recipe online and hope it works. The recipe is 10 grams citric acid to 1 liter of water and a little dish soap. They said you can use as much as twice that amount with no problems. This sounded good to me since a few years ago someone gave me 150 pounds of citric acid. I gave 100 pounds away and kept 50. I have no idea how long it takes to go through 50 LBS of citric acid but I've hardly put a dent in it.

I measured 1/4 cup of citric acid which came to 50.5 grams so I figured 1/4 cup per gallon. Then I heated up the water, added the citric acid and soap and poured it into the pool until the tailgate was covered. I used black plastic to make the pool because it's best to keep the solution hot. The weatherman says our temps will be in the high 80s to around 90 degrees over the next few days so I figured I'd let mother nature do the heating for me. After I finished filling it I then covered it in clear plastic figuring that will let the sun in and make everything nice and hot.

Now I just wait and see how it turns out.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM
258 I6

I took the tailgate and a few other parts out of the solution this morning and power washed then. I'm actually very impressed by how well it worked.

There are a few spots that may need just a bit more attention but for the most part it is now completely rust free

I do expect a bit of flash rusting which can be taken care of easy enough. So the next step is to treat the bare metal, encapsulate what's hidden and start welding it back together.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM
258 I6

Very nice work. I wonder if your fruit punch there would clean up some really nasty greasy things like my transmission cross member?
'19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21
Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman1
Very nice work. I wonder if your fruit punch there would clean up some really nasty greasy things like my transmission cross member?

Thank you,

I don't know how well it would work for degreasing but it worked great on derusting and only removed paint where there was rust or it was kind of loose already. The guy who had the recipe said you may need to put it back in the solution a couple times and that the solution works best hot. I was concerned about melting the plastic so my water was probably only 170 or so when I poured it in but it started working right away.

One of the things I really like about it is it isn't really environmentally unfriendly or acidic. I was reaching in with my bare hands to remove the parts and it didn't burn or anything, although it might have gotten my hands nice and clean. It's cheap too, especially since I already has 50#s of citric acid. A while back someone told me I needed something called evap-o-rust which is expensive and didn't work well. This stuff is cheap and worked great.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 06-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 PM
258 I6

Today I got the inside areas treated and continued stripping paint on the front side (technically back side) of the tailgate. I almost have it completely stripped.

Tomorrow the plan is to encapsulate the hidden areas. Saturday and Sunday I should be able to start welding everything up and next week begin on smoothing out the few dents that remain.

There is one area between the two Es that is oil canning and I need to see if I can somehow shrink that area a little bit to tighten it up.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 PM
258 I6

I've been trying to keep everything on tailgate #2 on a schedule but since I'm using the shop at my work and other things tend to have to take priority it can cause real setbacks. Today however was not one of those days. I didn't have a lot planned for today, I wanted to get encapsulating coat inside done which I did first thing. Then I managed to get the rest of the paint stripped off the front. This was where I planned to stop for the day but I found I had enough spare time to fit the lower patch panel then found myself welding it in place. I tend to have better access to the welder on Saturday and Sundays and don't have to worry about people thinking it's funny to mess with the settings and mess up my welds so I had planned on only welding on weekends.

After much thinking about it I decided to remove the center support. I don't think it is really necessary for what I do with my truck and it gives a place for water and debris to get in and rust things out. Last week I bought new electrodes and welding rod to replace what I had used on tailgate #1. I think what I got actually works better than what I used on gate #1, or perhaps I'm just getting better at welding. In some spots I managed the nicest tiny little welds I've ever done, they rival the ones done by our certified welder on the air filter.

I still have a lot of welding and grinding to go but things are actually looking well on their way. My hope for tomorrow is to get the bullet hole filled and the big square patch at least tacked into place and hopefully get all the welding done. Before I get started on the filler work I will need to try to get that patch between the Es shrunk so it doean't oil can. It is pretty straight but still has some waves and will need a bit of filler if I can get that bit shrunk. My hope is to also get something done with that this weekend.
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
258 I6

It was another super busy day for me at work but every time I hade 10 minutes to spare I was in the shop welding.

I got the lower patch finished

got the bullet hole all welded

and ground down

and actually got the big patch behind the bullet hole tacked in

On a couple of the spot welds on the lower patch I got it a little hot and got some warping that I will now have to deal with but I will do that once everything that needs welded is complete.