• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fox
    232 I6
    • Sep 17, 2005

Pitman arm for a 1968 wagoneer

I'm almost done with my SOA on my 1968 Wagoneer. All I need know is a 6 inch drop pitman arm. Correct me if I'm wrong but won't a pitman arm from Ford work fine on the original steering box?
    Any feedback would be great.
    1968 Jeep Wagoneer
    350 buick
    Th 400
    Dana 20 Terraflex 3.15 ,Advanced Adapters 32 spline rear output
    Rear: Dana 60-2 with disk breaks
    Front: Dana 44 (1975 GM with Ford Hubs)

• Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

I've only heard folks tell of 6" DPA's never seen one myself.
    What front axle are you running?

I did come across a longer one doing my SOA that screwed me up for a bit.

Might have been a Ford application (we never really did figure out what/who it came from).
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

The BJ's (edit) 4" drop pitman arm is a Ford part.

Brent (aka TPICherokee) told me on the phone, but I forget what year/model...

You might try sending a PM to him?
      Last edited by babywag; 10-04-2006, 07:38 PM.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Fox
        232 I6
        • Sep 17, 2005

To answer Tab's axle question.
        I'm going to run a Dana 44 from a Dodge with J-10 steering gear.
        1968 Jeep Wagoneer
        350 buick
        Th 400

Comment

• Tad
          • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by babywag
          The BJ's 6" drop pitman arm is a Ford part.

Brent (aka TPICherokee) told me on the phone, but I forget what year/model...

You might try sending a PM to him?
          Tony, I may have missed something but they do not advertise a 6" DPA, they advertise a DPA that will work with their 4" or 6" lift kits, I'm sure they are the same DPA.
          Might be a Ford DPA, I don't know/never asked, I've had several here from BJ's and they were all 4" DPA's though, heck maybe they have something new, but I think they would tell us if they thought it was to become a common SOA component (we work with BJ's occasionally on international shipping to keep costs to the buyer down).

Fox,
          I do not know much about Dodge axles but I know they bolt up pretty well (Josh D has some good info in this same forum).
          How are you going to set up the steering?
          X-Over, Full High-Steering, Bent Drag link?

Many folks choose different options.
          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• bowtieman55
            304 AMC
            • Jan 09, 2006

found this today

Rusty's Off-Road is a leader in the 4X4 industry with our innovative line of Jeep specific products. Our in-house manufacturing and R & D keeps our products on the cutting edge. With our in house manufacturing we are able to control cost and sell retail at wholesale cost without sacrificing quality.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by tadsal
              Tony, I may have missed something but they do not advertise a 6" DPA, they advertise a DPA that will work with their 4" or 6" lift kits, I'm sure they are the same DPA.
              Might be a Ford DPA, I don't know/never asked, I've had several here from BJ's and they were all 4" DPA's though, heck maybe they have something new, but I think they would tell us if they thought it was to become a common SOA component (we work with BJ's occasionally on international shipping to keep costs to the buyer down).
              My bad, you're correct it is just a 4". Guess I should learn to read.

You could still try to find out the make/model, and see if anyone makes a drop for that model?
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• shackwrrr
                360 AMC
                • Mar 04, 2006

there was somebody here that had a 12" dpa it looked preatty freaky
                Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• Fox
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 17, 2005

Hey Tab

Originally I was going to run J-10 steering gear on a dodge axle with a six inch drop pitman arm. Know that I looked again there is no way it will clear the leaf pack so I'm going to x-over steering...

Fox
                  1968 Jeep Wagoneer
                  350 buick
                  Th 400

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

That's still just a 4" DPA.
                    Rusty's Full-Size Jeep Drop Pitman Arm gives 2" additional drop over the stock pitman arm. This will work with our 6" lift.

The Stock FSJ D44 pitman arm has about a 2" drop to it.

Fox,
                    There is a bunch of older FSJ SOA steering pic's in that link in my signature (the 1970 Wagoner - It's Time one) that apply to our older rigs. Most is in the first 2-3 pages.
                    As far as the Dodge axle goes something keeps bumping around inside my head, something to the effect that the TRE's are smaller like our older closed knuckle axles are/were. I'm not positive though. I just remember Josh D doing doing the swap on a Jtruck and having a very good writeup on it.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

Working...
                    X