• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thecozmobile
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 24, 2001

REAR WINDOW STUCK DOWN IN COLD WEATHER

One week into a purchase of a 88 GW mostly stock. Rear window was working fine. Used key entry in tailgate, window went down but now is stuck down in 30 degree weather. I took off the access panals to the rear window, but the window is stuck almost all the way down so that I can not access the clips to release the window. The window WILL NOT MOVE. What else can I do????? To make matter worse the prior owner has the rear window tinted! So I cant see into the area. When I use the dash switch I can not hear any movement in the motor. How can I get the window up when I can not get to the pins to release the window. It's getting cold out here in Philly. Thanks guys
    Frank<br />1988 GW/STOCK<br />2002 LAND ROVER<br />1974 1/2 MGBGT
  • Freezer
    232 I6
    • Jul 25, 2001

Ouch! If you can't reach the clips to release the regulator arms, let's hope it is an electrical problem you can fix without removing the window.Consult the Technical Library, tailgate section. These articles have helped me many times.Good Luck.
    http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/snow.jpg

Comment

• graham
      350 Buick
      • Apr 29, 2000

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Thecozmobile:
      When I use the dash switch I can not hear any movement in the motor. <hr></blockquote>

Just a few thoughts... Do you have power to the motor? Also check the earthing to the motor. Very common prob with electric taigates.
      Graham
      Lifes to short ..... eat dessert first.

'82 Cherokee Sportsman II,360, auto. As it rolled of the Show Room floor. Except for; LPG conversion, On board air, O2 sensor, rear shackle flip and extended front shackles....Dual batteries on the way Model T timing.
      Bearhunters Home Page

Comment

• woodybeone
        304 AMC
        • Sep 02, 2001

You say the window worked fine with the dash switch and this is the first time you used the tail gate key switch ?
        Sounds like the tailgate key switch is the first place to look. The switch may have shorted out or is stuck/broke in the down position. Did you check the fuse ? If the fuse is good take out the key assembly. If you don't have a security Torx wrench you can get a cheapie at Autozone for about 3 dollars. See if you can disconnect it from the wiring harness.
        Also check your safety switch on the left side of the gate near the top (L shaped arm). Sometimes these switches go bad and will prevent the motor from running with the gate closed.
        Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

• Thecozmobile
          230 Tornado
          • Aug 24, 2001

Thanks for the replies. All were good. I believe it will be a short in either the electical or the switch itself. Im checking the fuses as I leave this posting. Now dealing with a Carb issue. The truck will turn but will not kick over. the manual says that the choke for the carb should be closed when you depress the pedal to the floor, however my choke opens up completly. It has been a bear to start in the morning, turning and turning until it kicks over!!!! MAN I THOUGHT MG'S WERE TOUGH. THANKS, FRANK
          Frank<br />1988 GW/STOCK<br />2002 LAND ROVER<br />1974 1/2 MGBGT

Comment

• andy d
            Shade Tree Shaman
            • May 06, 2000

sounds like a stuck safety switch. try this. push in on the upper left corner whilst operating the rear key switch. my 88 does this on occasion.oh,and back off the choke spring a little bit

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: andy d ]</p>
            \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Thomas DeBusk
              258 I6
              • May 08, 2000

My tailgate hinges are extremely tight and it's hard to close. So the left side often doesn't catch, even though it looks closed. We're talking about only a fraction of an inch difference. And that's enough to open the window cut-out switch so you can't move the window. Sure this isn't your problem?
              1983 Wagoneer Limited, 360, 229<br />1985 J10, 258 being replaced by multiport fuel-injected 360, 229

Comment

• Darin
                232 I6
                • May 20, 2001

Thecozmobile -

Same thing happened to me 2 months ago. It was the safety switch on the left side. Wasn't that it needed adjustment, the connection had worked loose and fell off. Only way to see this was to take it out use long hemostats to reach in with a piece of wire to complete the circuit, and then the window could be moved enough to reconnect.

I was certain that the tailgate hobgoblins were going to make things messy back there, but it turned out just the safety switch.
                89 GW<br />360/727/NP229<br />Ported TBI with all sensor options from Custom EFIS, Bored .030, custom cam and head work, Edelbrock intake, externally balanced, FlowKooler WP, TFI, K&N Filters, Rebuilt transmission with HD TC and shift kit

Comment

Working...
                X