• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockrat
    232 I6
    • Oct 31, 2008

Body Mod question

I know some of you will explode at this;but, would someone on here give me some pointers on "dovetailing" my chief. I'm looking at having a better departure angle as well as the tires having clearence. I'll be running rockwells and 44's, axles stretched as far out as I can get them, trying to keep a low COG. The roof will be cut and moved forward with 2 tailgates. Granted the back one will have to modded, toolbox and shorter.
    The crew I run with bobbed and tubed their rigs (mostly rangers and broncos), and I'm the only one running a FSJ. We run tight and twisty trails, bogs and rocks, that's why I'm building this way.
    "I reject your reality & substitute my own"

1988 Grand Wagoneer

---President----
    Busted Knuckle Offraod Club

Thanks for the update.

edit: I read it as someone had already told you. excuse me. I've looked into this but I never went through with it. is your rig 4 door? if it is I suggest the break be there behind the door. I think it would look best that way. essentially you are cutting large triangles out. I haven't done it so I can't give you anymore info. I would however search pirate for info. Some people have done it in the past and it comes out looking like crap. I'd take my time, measure twice, cut once. You might also do some research of your own with a piece of large poster board so you can scale it out and make your first cut the best.
    Last edited by orangecherokee; 02-04-2009, 08:47 AM.
    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• jaredfreeman
      232 I6
      • Jul 18, 2007

id say break out the sawzall and make sure you take lots of pics never seen it done but would like to. id say have at it and have some fun doing it remember =
      79 Cherokee Chief
      4 ince superlift
      33 interco thornbirds.....there going away soon

74 J-10
      buildup in progress

Comment

• Blue & Gray
        258 I6
        • Feb 08, 2007

I bookmarked this some time ago. Gives a pretty good idea of the deal.

tennesseeoffroad.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tennesseeoffroad.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I hope to see pics of how yours comes out, sounds like a sweet build.
        1976 J10 258/T15/D20 , Dana44's w/4.09's 31x10.50 Super Swampers BP's. HEI an otherwise stock. Runs Great. SOA/SF and 2brl soon

1976 Cherokee NT 232/SM465/NP205, Dana44's, w/3.54. 35x12.50 Mud Chain Saws, SOA/SF, HEI. MSD, 2 brl, Wag seats etc. Hard Spanked but in work now.

Comment

• rockrat
          232 I6
          • Oct 31, 2008

Originally posted by orangecherokee
          Thanks for the update.

edit: I read it as someone had already told you. excuse me. I've looked into this but I never went through with it. is your rig 4 door? if it is I suggest the break be there behind the door. I think it would look best that way. essentially you are cutting large triangles out. I haven't done it so I can't give you anymore info. I would however search pirate for info. Some people have done it in the past and it comes out looking like crap. I'd take my time, measure twice, cut once. You might also do some research of your own with a piece of large poster board so you can scale it out and make your first cut the best.
          it's the 2 door version. The rear seat is coming out with racing seats going in, so the break will be just inside the front of the wheelwell. I know I'll have to weld some plates to the inside bulkheads to strengthen the body. The floor will be the tricky area. I hope to keep the body lines somewhat proportional.

1988 Grand Wagoneer

---President----

Comment

• rockrat
            232 I6
            • Oct 31, 2008

Originally posted by jaredfreeman
            id say break out the sawzall and make sure you take lots of pics never seen it done but would like to. id say have at it and have some fun doing it remember =
            I'll be taking my time, cause I don't want a full on truggy just yet.

1988 Grand Wagoneer

---President----

Comment

• rockrat
              232 I6
              • Oct 31, 2008

Originally posted by Blue & Gray
              I bookmarked this some time ago. Gives a pretty good idea of the deal.

tennesseeoffroad.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tennesseeoffroad.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I hope to see pics of how yours comes out, sounds like a sweet build.
              Once I get started, I'll be keeping a photo journal and a thread as go along. I like to different; besides, why shouldn't the FSJ get represnted in the "Dovetailed" look?

1988 Grand Wagoneer

---President----

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                350 Buick
                • May 25, 2005

I don't know about a huge dovetail, but I removed my taillights and pushed mine in quite a bit that way, it looks like rough because my quarters have already been beat to :o:o:o:o on the rocks. Good luck
                77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

Working...
                X