• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruner1981jpce
    350 Buick
    • Apr 23, 2011

Capability/General Questions about Cherokee

I've seen threads like this regarding the 360 engine, but have't found any regarding the 258. I'm fairly new to the FSJ's (my Cherokee is my first 4x4 as well) and I don't really know where to start. Its a 1981 Cherokee Laredo with a 258 I6, Carter BBD, Model 176 transmission and Model 208 transfer case. Dana 44 front and AMC 20 rear, both with 3.73 gear ratio (or so the plate on the 44 says, like I said, I'm new to this and don't know too much or what to believe). Stock height as far as I know (any way for me to check?). 31x10.50 tires. So basically bone stock. How capable is this setup for minor offroading (no crawling, but some small rocks)? This is my DD, so I don't want to damage the body. Should I look into buying/fabbing some kind of skid plates?

Also, this Jeep sat for 15 years before I bought it and got it running again. Any upgrades/fixes I should look into, any parts to check on (without tearing apart the entire engine/rebuilding)?

Lastly, it started to run a lot colder today than it ever has before (in the green, but almost at the line separating the black from the green; normally runs about halfway in the green). Didn't build up to this, just started running like this. I think its the thermostat, but my dad says its not a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it. What do you guys think?

Sorry for so many questions all at once. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Andy
    '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
    Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12
  • jeepjseries
    350 Buick
    • May 30, 2009

Minor off road it will do great and beyond. Trust me you will be surprised. To protect your body skid plates is one thing there is all kinds of after market items and tricks. But what I suggest and do is just be a little cautious off road take things easy and your jeep will take care of you.
    -2000 Volkswagen Jetta diesel
    -1976 Wagoneer 401/Turbo 400/QT with 4 low/Dana 44s

Comment

• austinaubinoe
      360 AMC
      • Aug 08, 2010

Replace ALL of the rubber (both rad hoses, both heater hoses, fuel lines). I would go ahead an flush the block/ rad and throw in a new t stat. The PO of my wag was left stranded when he blew a heater hose, and it killed the original hood liner.

And I assume you did the cap/rotor/wires/plugs/air filter if its your DD. Maybe unplug electrical connectors under the hood and spray em out with electrical cleaner. My Ignition module left me stranded recently. Picked up some NOS ones on ebay and now I also keep a spare in the jeep. The ones I bought were listed for a 258 CJ/YJ so Im pretty positive all carbed 258's and 360's use the same one.

OH and
      Last edited by austinaubinoe; 05-29-2011, 01:25 AM.
      Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
      5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
      SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
      -1994 Baby Grand
      -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
      -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
      i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
      i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
        350 Buick
        • Apr 23, 2011

Thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out how to post my pictures but I can't figure out how to get a separate URL for each of my pictures. For now I'll just post the link to my cardomain site. Got lots of pictures there.

Andy
        '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
        Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• Rich88
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by bruner1981jpce
          Lastly, it started to run a lot colder today than it ever has before (in the green, but almost at the line separating the black from the green; normally runs about halfway in the green). Didn't build up to this, just started running like this. I think its the thermostat, but my dad says its not a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it. What do you guys think?
          Technically, your dad is correct. It's a "medium size" deal. But its not good in the long run. Engines are designed to run at a given temperature for optimum performance. Too cold leads to delayed warm-up and less than optimum fuel vaporization (= less MPG!). Further, if you have coolant temperature operated (CTO) vacuum valves that are supposed to open or close at given temperatures, then this can booger up emission control and engine efficiency.

However its possible that you have a gage or sensor problem too. Tape a glass meat thermometer to the discharge hose as close as you can to the T'stat housing. After a good ten minutes of driving around, pull over, get out and see if its greater than 190. If it is, the T'stat is OK and its a gage/sensor issue. If your gage is telling the truth, the temp will be around 160 or so,a nd time to replace the T'stat.
          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
            350 Buick
            • Apr 23, 2011

Thanks Rich88. I'm, pretty sure its not going to be the sensor since I just replaced that a couple months back (couldn't even find it before then, it was at the very back corner of the intake manifold, hidden by a bunch of hoses and wires). I'll have to try the meat thermometer test once my dad stops blocking our driveway with his truck.
            Andy

Comment

• austinaubinoe
              360 AMC
              • Aug 08, 2010

Originally posted by bruner1981jpce
              Thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out how to post my pictures but I can't figure out how to get a separate URL for each of my pictures. For now I'll just post the link to my cardomain site. Got lots of pictures there.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391681...-jeep-cherokee

THAT sat for 15 years!!!!! ONLY in california man. You should find the rest of that tire carrier, those look great on Cherokee's. Where did you get that CB/fm radio? When did the Laredo trim start on those?
              Austin

Others:
              -1994 Baby Grand
              -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
              -1955 Willys Pickup

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
                350 Buick
                • Apr 23, 2011

Yeah, it sat for 15 years. Bit of a shame. But on the plus side its only got about 106K miles on it now. Didn't take too much to get it running again. The gas that they left in it became some nasty stuff. Some liquid, but a lot of sludge. As far as the tire carrier goes, I'm planning on going up to my grandpa's house sometime this summer and he's gonna help me weld one together and I'm gonna try to put a jerry can rack on the carrier as well. We're also gonna try to make a front receiver hitch. I don't know when the Laredo trim started, but the AM/FM/CB radio was stock. It would've been cool if the transmitting on the stock CB function worked, but I was getting a new stereo anyways.
                Andy

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                  360 AMC
                  • Aug 08, 2010

Might want to take it to a CB shop and see whats wrong with it. A clean working AMC CB factory radio is worth some good money!
                  Austin

Others:
                  -1994 Baby Grand
                  -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                  -1955 Willys Pickup

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 23, 2011

Thats good to know. If only I knew where to start looking to find a shop like that.
                    Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X