Wagoneer owners here in Montana are dangerous men!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hartman
    232 I6
    • Jun 13, 2010

Wagoneer owners here in Montana are dangerous men!

This was in today's local paper here in NW Montana.

Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:00 am |
    Updated: 8:39 am, Tue Jun 14, 2011.
    JIM MANN/Daily Inter Lake |
    1 comment
    The scope of a manhunt for armed fugitive David Burgert expanded Monday, including a warning that he might be headed to the Kalispell area.
    The manhunt entered its third day on Tuesday.
    The Flathead County SWAT team was set Monday to help search for Burgert, 47, a convicted felon and former Flathead County resident who shot at Missoula County deputies Sunday near Lolo, but the Flathead team was ordered to stand down later in the day.
    Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry said his counterparts in Missoula County had requested the SWAT team to help look for Burgert in the mountains west of Lolo. But the request was canceled Monday afternoon.
    ?They think they lost him,? Curry said. ?They do not necessarily think they have him contained in that area ... There is potential that he may have left the area in a 1987 Jeep Wagoneer.?
    Specifically, law enforcement has been looking for a red or tan 1987 Jeep Wagoneer with license plate number 4-26514A.

Burgert is described as 6 feet 2 inches tall and 230 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair. He was last seen wearing a bluish colored shirt and a fanny pack and is believed to be armed with a handgun and possibly a rifle.
    By late Monday afternoon, the search in a 30-square-mile swath of forest near Lolo was still active but the scope of the manhunt had broadened, with officers keeping an eye out for Burgert statewide.
    Tactical agents from the FBI and officers from the U.S. Marshal?s Service, Missoula police, Missoula County Sheriff?s Office, as well as law officers from the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and the Montana National Guard, were looking for Burgert in a rugged, sparsely populated area of Lolo National Forest west of Lolo.
    A National Guard helicopter and a police dog were brought in to assist the searchers, totaling 65 personnel in all.
    ?Needless to say, we are going to be looking very diligently for him in our area,? Curry said.
    An officer safety warning was broadcast over Flathead County law enforcement radio channels, urging officers to use extreme caution if Burgert is encountered.
    At about 2 p.m. Monday, a swarm of Kalispell Police and Flathead County Sheriff?s vehicles descended on a vehicle on U.S. 93 near West Reserve Drive.
    ?They were stopping a vehicle that fit the description, but it was not him,? Curry said.
    Last week, Burgert was stopped by the Montana Highway Patrol for a moving violation. He told patrolmen then ?he wasn?t going to be taken down like last time? and that ?it would take a SWAT team? to bring him in, Missoula County Undersheriff Mike Dominick said.
    ?He is extremely dangerous, and he?s a danger to anyone he meets,? Dominick said.
    Burgert fired at Missoula County sheriff?s deputies along a logging trail Sunday after leading them on a slow-speed chase near the town of Lolo on U.S. 12. The deputies returned fire ? no one was hurt ? before Burgert grabbed gear from the Jeep and fled on foot into the woods, Dominick said.
    Burgert may have planned the attack, Dominick told The Associated Press on Monday. Authorities found ammunition packed inside the Jeep?s engine compartment and in another vehicle associated with Burgert, as well as two stolen rifles and a magazine of handgun ammunition on the ground near where he fled, Dominick said.
    ?He was prepared for a confrontation,? Dominick said. ?It was not a high-speed chase, he drove purposely onto the logging road and he engaged the deputies with one to three shots.?
    Burgert served time in the Federal Bureau of Prisons on weapons charges before being released on probation last year. Before his sentencing, he was diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder.
    Burgert has a long criminal history in Flathead County, where he is considered a threat to some law enforcement and local government officials, including Flathead County Commissioner Jim Dupont, who was sheriff when Burgert had run-ins with the law.
    ?Are we concerned that he could be coming here? Certainly,? said Curry, who notified Dupont and a handful of other people about Burgert being a fugitive.
    ?There?s a few people he didn?t like very well and I?m sure he still doesn?t,? Curry said.
    Curry noted that Burgert fled to an area of his choosing, with Missoula County deputies in pursuit, and that could give him an advantage in escaping.
    ?He could have had a vehicle stashed somewhere,? said Curry, who noted that Burgert was known for hatching fairly elaborate plans. At one point when he was living in Flathead County, Burgert orchestrated the appearance of his own death.
    His pickup truck and fishing gear were left at Presentine Bar on the Flathead River in January of 2002, but there was no sign of Burgert and a search was launched. In the days that followed, Burgert?s wife accused law enforcement of killing her husband, but it was eventually discovered that Burgert had been camping in the woods north of Whitefish.
    In February of that year, Burgert was located with a girlfriend west of Kalispell.
    After a short chase, the woman was arrested but an overnight standoff ensued with Burgert. He surrendered the next day, and a large cache of weapons, ammunition and survival equipment was uncovered at the girlfriend?s house.
    The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Now, my first thought was, "how the hell do you lose a Wagoneer?!?!" They're not exactly fast. And even if you lost sight of 'em, just follow the freaking trail of oil the Wagoneer left behind!!!

I have a tan Wagoneer and live in this very area they are talking about. Should I stay off the roads for a little while?

Not a chance, the fishing is too good right now!

Lastly, if Mr. Burgert is a member of this board, then I am sorry for offending you in any way. You are obviously a very dangerous man, and I mean no disrespect to the antisocial. Please accept my apologies.
  • jbentley
    232 I6
    • Feb 28, 2008

If he left in a Jeep..... He certainly won't be fleeing via the highway..

I wonder if they frisk Bambi at the forest head road block?

Otherwise, they need to set a 100 mile radius and look within there.. That's about as far as it will go without a gas station/shop.
    '82 limited edition Jeep Wagoneer
    "The Stock Beast"

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

I dunno, but I saw a red GW with MT tags on it in Mesa Verde National Park just last week. I waved from my GW, he waved back, we waved.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Eaglefreek
        232 I6
        • Oct 19, 2010

I saw the Jeep on the news on a tow truck. It was a Cherokee not a Grand Wagoneer. Here it is at the 1:30 mark but it's green http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNrVIIX5abU
        Last edited by Eaglefreek; 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM.
        86 AMC Eagle 258/4.0 head
        87 AMC Eagle 5.3L, 4L60E, Explorer 8.8, Dana 44 on 35's

Comment

• serehill
          Gone,Never Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2009

Flathead county

How appropriate. Can't tell red from green A wagoneer from a cherokee. Stores his ammunition in the engine compartment? He didn't lose them in a jeep chase he lost them on foot. Wearing a blue collored shirt & a fanny pack sounds very dangerous.

?Needless to say, we are going to be looking very diligently for him in our area,? Curry said.
          If it was needless to say then why did he.

If he did all this in Febuary what the heck is he doing free??? Do they practice catch & release with the flatheaded fellas?
          Maybe only the ones who wear fanny packs??

80 Cherokee
          360 ci 727 with
          Comp cams 270 h
          NP208
          Edlebrock performer intake
          Holley 4180
          Msd total multi spark.
          4" rusty's springs
          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Tin Medic
            Loose (lug)Nut(s)
            • Mar 21, 2011

Originally posted by Eaglefreek
            I saw the Jeep on the news on a tow truck. It was a Cherokee not a Grand Wagoneer. Here it is at the 1:30 mark but it's green http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNrVIIX5abU
            I guess we should at least be happy they knew it was a jeep.
            Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
            Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• 3nellieb
              232 I6
              • Jan 09, 2010

well tech it was a wagoneer but not a grand wagoneer. 86 was the first year of the wagoneer aka the cherokee we all know today. think they only for a few years. then when chry. took over they dropped the grand waggy and chaged the name of the wagoneer to cherokee. I know there are poeple on here that know more than I about jeep and will hopefully be corrected if wrong.
              Stupidity is often rewarded with pain.

86 waggy fresh 360 big bore tbi and all the works fresh727/208 4:27s front locked rear spooled 4'' bjs springs and 2'' body 37s irok(as of now) lots of cuttin.

Comment

• Tin Medic
                Loose (lug)Nut(s)
                • Mar 21, 2011

Originally posted by Hartman
                Now, my first thought was, "how the hell do you lose a Wagoneer?!?!" They're not exactly fast. And even if you lost sight of 'em, just follow the freaking trail of oil the Wagoneer left behind!!!

I have a tan Wagoneer and live in this very area they are talking about. Should I stay off the roads for a little while?

Not a chance, the fishing is too good right now!

Lastly, if Mr. Burgert is a member of this board, then I am sorry for offending you in any way. You are obviously a very dangerous man, and I mean no disrespect to the antisocial. Please accept my apologies.
                Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
                Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

Originally posted by Hartman
                  ..Specifically, law enforcement has been looking for a red or tan 1987 Jeep Wagoneer ...
                  Color blind much? How can you not know if its RED or TAN?!?
                  Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                  Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• HerrKooled
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 18, 2010

He has two. The base cherokee he drove onto the logging trail and exhaged gunfire, and abandoned.

The feds state there is a modified 87 grand wagoneer hidden deep in the woods with gear/food/weapons/ammo.

Since they have not found him in the designated area, he may have reached the vehicle and is traversing terrain. If that's the case, my guess by is locked front and rear, 2" lift and 35's.
                    '77 J truck.

Comment

• tazjeeper
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 05, 2010

a Wagoneer would not be a great vehical to flee from the police in here... everyone would know it was you as their are about 4 on the road out of a few million people...LOL I think if it were me I would have fleed in a honda
                      JEEP Why did they make so many??? I just don't have the time to buy them all...LOL

Comment

• duncanstives
                        304 AMC
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by tazjeeper
                        a Wagoneer would not be a great vehical to flee from the police in here... everyone would know it was you as their are about 4 on the road out of a few million people...LOL I think if it were me I would have fleed in a honda
                        Honda is not good on the logging trail. Probably is staying off the roads except maybe short distances and conceals the waggy when not in use.

Being an ex marine I'd give him a good shot at evading authorities indefinitely.
                        88 Waggy
                        Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• tazjeeper
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 05, 2010

Originally posted by duncanstives
                          Honda is not good on the logging trail. Probably is staying off the roads except maybe short distances and conceals the waggy when not in use.

Being an ex marine I'd give him a good shot at evading authorities indefinitely.
                          maybe but I would bet being in the USA alot of the police are ex Marines aswell...
                          I was just making a joke about if you tryed to out run the law here in a waggy woods or no woods it would not take long to be found... noone has them..LOL
                          JEEP Why did they make so many??? I just don't have the time to buy them all...LOL

Comment

• joe
                            • Apr 28, 2000

The LEO's are prolly hoping he's in a FSJ. Makes their job easy all they gotta do is stake out the gas stations and wait.
                            joe
                            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Brizio
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Apr 11, 2008

brizios.com
                              Small Scale Jeeps
                              Brizios

Comment

Working...
                              X