• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirtfarmer
    232 I6
    • Aug 14, 2012

j10 power steering gear question

My steering gear on my 1986 jeep j10 is leaking at both ends and needs replaced or fixed. The number on it is 5689010. My question is should I just replace it with a rebuilt replacement or is there a better alternative. For instance does a j20 have a heavier box and will it easily replace the j10 one.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

J20 box (late '86-88s) has a bigger piston and they are wanted by the big tire crowd.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
      232 I6
      • Aug 14, 2012

how much change would there be to put a j20 gear on
      "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

The only difference would be in durability, I presume. I'd have to check the book to see if the in/out shaft sizes are the same.

If you don't want a generic reman, these are said to be good: http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/ - do a Google search about them. The response seems quite positive.

There's also the Blazer/S-10 4x4 gear, which is variable ratio. Lots of old threads about these. These have a slow ratio near the center so they are not twitchy on the road, then speed up as you turn the wheel, to make turning easier. As well as being from newer vehicles, they are also a newer design than the conventional gears, and are said to be more durable. Unfortunately they are secured with 3 bolts instead of 4, so attachment to the frame is somewhat weaker. Redtop may be able to build a variable gear in a 4 bolt case, if you ask.
        Last edited by tgreese; 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Bolts in. Just slightly bigger outside
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
          X