• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dusty
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 20, 2006

El Dorado Hydraboost Hydroboost want to get my facts straight

Ok my original post got lost in the computer wonder land so this one may not be as detailed as I had originally written.

I want to get some details straight on the El dorado HB swap

To give you my specs my rig is a 79 Cherokee chief w/401 being swapped from auto to NV4500 has 33?s and power steering. The Vacuum booster is in the way of my hydraulic master cylinder and Ive considered going to an earlier model vacuum booster mounting bracket and arm setup as it moves things further away but later in life this motor will have a larger cam coming its way and the less vacuum needed the better. I will not be running ram assist nor any other hydraulic accessories ever in the future other than these two. I do have a HD automatic tranny cooler mounted in front of my radiator that will work well for cooling the PS fluid. I want to keep the stock PS pump if I can and plan to route the lines as was detailed on several threads.

I believe mine being a 79 the existing pressure line from pump to PS Box is flare (but I haven?t had this apart yet) and from what I read I can use this Pressure line from pump to HB, (correct me if im wrong here) Then I will need to have a new line made for pressure from the HB to the PS box. For the return lines The PS box line will be in line with the T for a straight through flow and the HB line will ?T? in at a 90* ?T? fitting flowing to the PS cooler in front of the radiator and then back to the pump (with several threads suggesting a filter of some sorts)

I have read and printed out all the threads. And in most of them its gets very confusing as everyone starts suggesting the Aerostar HB ot the hummer HB or coupling a Chevy HB with 1 ton master cylinder, because usually the question is ?hydraboost ( hydroboost ) tell me what to do?. Tehn cutting and threading the rod so the eye length is correct comes into play. All great suggestions but so far every time somebody delves into the El dorado HB discussion it gets mashed in with the rest.

I would like to stick with my current Stock Master Cylinder It works really well with the stock brakes and was it not for the 5spd conversion I wouldn?t even consider changing things out, but the fact that im battling the 1" aluminium spacer and clearance from the clutch Master cylinder to the vacum booster im thinking now may be the time to clean things up, and i've got a second 77 chief to do this to so mine is the test child.

what I think I understand is the El dorado is any el dorado with HB from 74-79. And when mounting it I unbolt the aluminum spacer from my fire wall and don?t use it, (would use it if I was using a Aerostar EXT - HB unit but ive been advised not to) two of the 4 bolt studs on the El dorado HB mounting plate line up and two need to be drilled through the firewall, and you use the existing plunger indexing hole on the Cherokee fire wall but move the stud for the rod eye up 1? on the brake pedal arm. If I buy a new unit from napa or whoever what kind of plate comes attached to it does a plate come attached. Or do I need to scavenge the wrecking yards. Also when dealing with rod length 4.5? ??? I?ll get back to that thought in a minute. Gotta run but want to get this posted.

I saw BJ?s setup very clean nice setup I think I can build something similar for a lot less just want to be sure Ive got my facts straight.

Thanks in advance
    Dusty
    Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
    The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

We have a member on here running the Astro van HB and likes it. Were you advised against it? Why? (I don't think the Ford Aerostar came with an HB)

Your power steering pump (if it's the correct year) should be a flared hose fitting. To fit an Astro HB (or any '80+ HB you would need to adapt to the metric 0-ring fittings, but you can keep your master cylinder.

Just a couple minutes ago I listed an Astro van HB on ebay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hydro...spagenameZWDVW

If that's something you want to adapt hoses to I will fit a bushing for the rod end (which does not need to be cut) and I could sell you the 1" aluminum adaptor plate I made for practice fitting. You mount it directly to the aluminum firewall block you have now, nothing needs to be drilled and you can even mount the HB upside down for additional valve cover clearance.

There's more tech, tech sources and parts sources I listed over here: http://www.tfsja.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y...num=1170001857
    Last edited by Elliott; 03-03-2007, 06:03 PM.
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• wickedwagon767
      304 AMC
      • Dec 26, 2005

Just buy the new bolt-on Hydroboost conversion from BJ's www.bjsoffroad.com for $824!!!

Comment

Retro93 was one of the 1st to install an Eldorado Hydro Boost into his 79 Cherokee. All he did was bolt it in. Bolted up to his aluminum spacer, used all the Eldorado Lines and the original Jeep M/C. He did lower the pedal assy by adding spacers between the pedal bracket and dash. Maybe he will see this and confirm the how to do it.
        I also added Hydoboost to my 86 though I went about it in a different manner............it is not a hard upgrade to do, and I went with everything New (Rebuilt) Power Steering Pump, Hydroboost Unit, Master Cyl, Presure lines, Return line and filter................. It came in at around the 300.00 mark
        Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
        Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
          Retro93 was one of the 1st to install an Eldorado Hydro Boost into his 79 Cherokee. All he did was bolt it in. Bolted up to his aluminum spacer, used all the Eldorado Lines and the original Jeep M/C. He did lower the pedal assy by adding spacers between the pedal bracket and dash. Maybe he will see this and confirm the how to do it.
          I also added Hydoboost to my 86 though I went about it in a different manner............it is not a hard upgrade to do, and I went with everything New (Rebuilt) Power Steering Pump, Hydroboost Unit, Master Cyl, Presure lines, Return line and filter................. It came in at around the 300.00 mark
          What HB unit did you use, Pete?

aa
          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• dusty
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 20, 2006

Someone else in a thread mentioned that he had dropped his pedal assembly, another person in response asked why he didnt just move the pivot shaft down on the pedal arm.... too much travel then with the pivot lower? moving mine down isnt an option as my hydraulic cluth hole is already drilled and all of that is installed .

its just i must have had a major brain fart i measured everything got pictures from several who had done the clutch conversion just to confirm everything i was thinking and oding and totally missed the aluminium spacer on mine compared to the linkage and bracket system all the other rigs had which put thier vacum booster further away. I'll check out pick and pull today see what i can find take the tape measure with me
            Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• dusty
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 20, 2006

Can you guys please help me,and post some pics and directions to properly do the hydro boost brake booster.i have no brakes and my wife swears she's going to kill someone!please help :confused: I would need patrs, numbers, hose lenght,fittings etc.... Thanks guys Jason

found the thread i have been searching for, i saw this thread a few years ago but couldnt remember who posted it. riverbeasts page is no longer linked but this thread had part numbers ect

it outlines exactly what i kept getting confused
              Thanks
              Dusty

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

• Retro93
                Junk Collector
                • Nov 02, 2001

Dusty,

It looks like you have sorted out most of the details concerning the Eldo hydroboost swap.

1. You want to use an Eldo hb unit from a '76 +/- model year.

2. The hb unit will bolt directly to the stock Jeep aluminum spacer.

3. To line up the brake pedal pushrod, you will need to raise the mounting holes EXACTLY 1". You'll need to add 2 spacers under the steering wheel mount to ensure the the brake pedal bracket sits level. The clearance between the passenger side of the bracket will be real close to the end of the windshield wiper power arms. I just clearanced the side of the bp bracket about 1/4" to ensure they didn't hit. I recommend redrilling the upper hole in the brake pedal mounting bracket. I don't like drilling too many extra holes in the firewall.

4. You can use all of your current hydraulic hoses. They are long enough, so no need for a custom made hose.

5. The stock Jeep master cylinder works just fine.

6. The routing for the return line you posted is correct. Just be careful on your selection of coolers. You want to minimize the line restriction, so I'd shy away from a transmission type cooler. I used a simple loop p/s unit from an early '70's Ford.

I think my total installation cost was less than $100 with a wrecking yard hb unit. I did buy a new one later to eliminate a slight leak that developed. This is a super easy upgrade that is well worth any money spent. I got real tired of trying to haul my Cherokee down from speed with the stock 'brake' booster. It took me about 3 hours or so complete.

If you need additional information let me know.
                79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil14
                  What HB unit did you use, Pete?

aa
                  I bought one for a 76 Eldorado, as well as the Master Cylinder, since I have 4 wheel disc brakes, and the Eldorado M/C is for 4 wheel disc

Comment

• Mikel
                    • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
                    I bought one for a 76 Eldorado, as well as the Master Cylinder, since I have 4 wheel disc brakes, and the Eldorado M/C is for 4 wheel disc
                    Are you using the Eldorado's combination valve as well?
                    1969 M715 6x6
                    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Originally posted by Mikel
                      Are you using the Eldorado's combination valve as well?
                      No I am using a Wild Wood adjustable Prop valve. I have set up 3 trucks plus mine now with this setup............Stops 39" Boggers like they are stock tires

Comment

Working...
                      X