• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarriverarms
    232 I6
    • Apr 21, 2016

Radiator change out

I am looking at changing out the radiator

I see a few all aluminum ones, which I like, but they seem to be a universal fit and can be quite pricey. Are they easily installed? I would like to find an all metal one, that is OEM compatable that just bolts right in. Do most of these work or is there a bit of custom it work required?

I also see a brass aluminum one which I like as well and is very affordable.

What have you guys used and have you had any issues?
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by tarriverarms
    I am looking at changing out the radiator

I see a few all aluminum ones, which I like, but they seem to be a universal fit and can be quite pricey. Are they easily installed? I would like to find an all metal one, that is OEM compatable that just bolts right in. Do most of these work or is there a bit of custom it work required?

I also see a brass aluminum one which I like as well and is very affordable.

I had the radiator in my J10 recored. For that, you'd need to find a real radiator shop nearby that still solders radiators, and it won't be the cheapest option. I put an all-brass/copper radiator from Spectra in my CJ-6, May no longer be available from retail channels. I tried an all-aluminum radiator for my J20 from a well-reviewed online source - it did not fit. Expensive to send it back. Instead I bought the plastic and aluminum offering from Spectra through RockAuto and it fit perfectly. Been a couple of years, stays cool fine.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

If you've got a real radiator shop near you, checking into getting yours recored is a good option. I personally don't care for alum rads and don't care much for anything "Universal/One Size Fits All" AKA fits nothing well. I've replaced a couple rads in V8 J-trucks. Don't know if still avail(was 10 years ago) I went with the OEM spec copper/brass from Napa. Made by Modine. Worked great and no install issues.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Any correct application replacements will most likely be fine.
        Good luck finding a radiator shop that can recore for less than a new brass radiator these days.
        Around here VERY few and $$$$ like 2x cost of a new brass one.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by tarriverarms
          Had issues on every replacement radiator but the copper repop sold by BJ's Off-road. This for my '85 GW. YMMV.

Long version:
          Most of the replacements are not good copies or made well. Where the replacements are most off is the lower hose angle. Until I got BJ's, I'd get a few years out of the replacment and then have to swap in the patched original for a few weeks. For the last attempt to salvage a replacement was by intalling the oem outlet onto using a cardboard template to match the angle as best possible. It couldn't be exactly the same because the lower tanks themselves were not quite the same.

If you can't find a local place to fix (and that depends on what is needed) and really want it fixed, try Glen-ray. They can fix just about any radiator. It won't be cheap, but not stupid expensive either. They do charge more for numbers matching all that jazz.

To be sure, BJ's lower hose angle was not the same as the presumable original out of my Waggon. However, clearances and stresses seem OK, so still going with it. Photos here:

More detailed reviews and experiences starts here
          Then more here, pictures in post #30
          Last edited by nograin; 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM.
          '85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

I am installing an aluminum rad in mine and have my copper/brass radiator that is in awesome shape I would sell for fairly cheap (say $50 plus shipping?). Only problem with it is the overflow tank nipple points the wrong direction and shipping will probably be bucks since it has to cross the US.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• tarriverarms
              232 I6
              • Apr 21, 2016

Thanks Rangastang, but I think I am going to go the same route you are.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                • Jan 09, 2011

Some of the new brass radiators seem to have durability issues. They last a while then crack their tank seams. I have a Visteon that has been really bad about that. Spectra seem to do a little better but Murray seem to be the best. I've had no problem with Murray radiators.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• ShagWagon
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 10, 2016

We are the Largest Full Size Jeep Parts Seller in the World, Specialize in Grand Wagoneer & Full Size Cherokee! We ship Worldwide!

I bought this one over a year ago.

Bolted right up and no problem whatsoever. This HD radiator and a HD water pump they sell perform flawless.
                  87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    Cherokee Outlaw
                    • Jan 10, 2006

If you're going to go that route, save yourself some money and the headache of dealing with TGW and buy this one.

JEEP CHEROKEE WAGONEER J10 J20 5.9 V8 1972-1988 automatic / manual. Radiator cap included. All aluminum core and tank. Core size25.2" × 16" × 2" 3 rows. The core is welded in vacuum brazing furnace, no epoxy.

All TGW does is sell Chinese crap at jacked up prices. That is, if you ever even get your order. Some say they've never had a problem with them, but many others have been royally screwed over by TGW. Check the customer corner section on this site before dealing with them and then make your decision.
                    -Jonny B.
                    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• tarriverarms
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 21, 2016

That's the route I am going to go Heavy Metal. However a rust sot in the rocker panel has moved itself to the rear tire well. Going straight to the body shop first.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        If you're going to go that route, save yourself some money and the headache of dealing with TGW and buy this one.

JEEP CHEROKEE WAGONEER J10 J20 5.9 V8 1972-1988 automatic / manual. Radiator cap included. All aluminum core and tank. Core size25.2" × 16" × 2" 3 rows. The core is welded in vacuum brazing furnace, no epoxy.

All TGW does is sell Chinese crap at jacked up prices. That is, if you ever even get your order. Some say they've never had a problem with them, but many others have been royally screwed over by TGW. Check the customer corner section on this site before dealing with them and then make your decision.
                        X2 and same goes for WP less $ from pretty much anyone than TGW.
                        Autozone or similar sells GMB aluminum water pump w/ lifetime warranty.
                        They?re good pumps and actually fit properly unlike cast iron aftermarket poo.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• mx71
                          230 Tornado
                          • Mar 04, 2018

I got an original replacement from BJs, and it bolted right in with no issues. I did have to swap the drain plug though. the plastic one it comes with is trash. I just re-used the original metal one.

Comment

• gpcl16
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 02, 2016

Another vote for the BJs offroad standard replacement radiator. Fits perfect and no issues over 4+ years and 15,000 miles. I also replaced the drain plug with a brass petcock. I also highly recommend their fan shroud if yours is missing or destroyed as most seem to be.
                            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                            4" BDS Suspension Lift
                            Tru-Trac Rear
                            Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

• mwood65
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 17, 2017

I bought one of the Aluminum radiators off eBay for my Corvette and was worried about quality. The thing was beautifully welded with good materials.

It was pretty cheap (scary too cheap) but have had zero issues with it and it cools like a beast.

Those Chinese can sure Tig weld I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X