• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Josh D
    360 AMC
    • Jan 17, 2002

Back in the game........pt2

Here's the backstory:

Bought the '71 J2000 from the western slope of Colorado back in late '01. It was cheap, but very rough. Ran on 6 of 8, springs shot, interor trashed, grill bashed, most guages didn't work, etc. Truck had been used as a plow truck, trash hauler, and hunting rig. It ran and stopped, had decent 31" M/Ts, and the owner assured me it would make it back over Monarch pass to Colorado springs. I was skeptical.

Deal was struck and I was on my way with the buddy who's inlaws I had bought the truck from following behind in a newer S-10 ZR2. At the first fuel stop, I popped the hood to try and see if I could figure out why it was running so rough. Turns out two plug wires weren't seated. After that, it ran like a raped ape! The ZR2 (4.3 vortec) couldn't keep up going up Monarch pass!

Not only did the truck make it back to the Springs, but I fell in love with it. Original plan was to just use it to haul brush off the property and then use it as a parts truck in my '48 Willys pickup build. Needless to say, that 3.5 hr drive back changed this trucks fate........That and finding this site and learning about the (1st) 2002 Fullsize Jeep Invasion in Ouray that next summer. I had my work cut out for me to get it ready.

The initial build was more of a "making the truck right" kind of thing. The local pull n' save, FN Jeeps, and this site contributed to a lot of parts that went on the truck to get it ready for the Invasion. Here is what it looked like at the crest of Monarch Pass on the way to Ouray back in '02:
    '71 J2000 Gladiator
    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
    '80 911 Super Carrera
  • Josh D
    360 AMC
    • Jan 17, 2002

The first Ouray invasion was a blast........but didn't go off without incident. A motor mount broke on the right climb on Poughkeepsie. The fan hit the radiator and promptly damage the fan and radiator beyond repare. Raider (Bill Thomas, RIP) and his family towed me up and over Poughkeepsie, California Pass and into Silverton. I'll never forget their hospitality and their efforts to get my truck fixed and back on the trail. Truly a Jeeper and Jeeping family in every sense of the word!

Anyway, the truck continued to get "fixed up" and became my daily driver to keep miles off my YJ, whick was starting to become more of a trail rig. After a year of a 70 mile round trip of I-25, I new that 360 was getting tired and i better start looking for a builder core. It was just about that time that Dome (yep, our administrator) was looking to junk a 360 out of his waggy. The price was right (free) just needed to drive up to Denver to get it. A trip down to my step dads machine shop in southern NM over a 4 day weekend and I had a fresh 360.

Then life got in the way. We had our second daughter in May '03, and my company said I had to move to Albuquerque, NM on their dime or face a layoff. We took the move.

With 2 young kiddos, neither my YJ or J-truck were practical. I spotted a clean, unmolested, rust free, 100K mile '88 GW in a parking lot for sale. I picked it for $3K. Added a lift, wheels, tires, razor, eddy intake, TA carb, and I had a new daily. The truck got put on the backburner.

'71 J2000 Gladiator
    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
    '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Josh D
      360 AMC
      • Jan 17, 2002

Sometime around '04 it was time to show the J-truck some love. I was tired of working on the front drum brakes. I had overheated them too many times to count and they pulled, sometimes left, sometimes right, everytime I pushed the pedal. I started looking for a swap candidate. After some research, I found a '80-'90 Dodge truck would fit the bill, matching width, bolt pattern, and pumpkin orientation. I picked one up with Warn hubs locally for cheap, had the original axle gears installed in the Dodge axle, then swapped the axle in. A vast improvement! But that was the last real work I did to the truck until a couple months ago.

Life got in the way again. Wife didn't care for NM much and wanted to get back to AZ where we started. She got a job transfer and we moved back to AZ in '06 on her companies dime. We decided to build a house so we could have space. Our rental house had an RV gate and the truck got parked, only getting started a few times in the 2 years following. I daily drove the GW until it came time to register in AZ. I knew it would not pass emissions because I had removed all the smog gear in NM. I sold it to a member on here and bought something more suitable for commuting, a 5 series BMW (used, of course)! I loved driving it and the outstanding gas mileage. But owning a BMW out of warranty isn't for the faint of wallet! Needless to say, again, the J-truck was at the bottom of the list.

Ok, bear with me, I'll get to the point of the story eventually (with pics).
      We finished our house we built on an acre of orange orchard. Aside from the plummuting home value, i couldn't be more happy with what and where we built. The truck helped us move into the new house, expired tags and all. It has always been reading for work, without exception, but unfortunately, thats all it's been used for the last 5 years. The motor was getting tired and wouldn't pass the smog sniff test (no visual for '74 and older) so it just sat and got dirtier with every dust storm that blew through. So I thought I'd try collectors insurance and register it as a collectable (no smog test required). I cleaned it up and sent some pics to the insurance company:

'71 J2000 Gladiator
      '95 YJ on Waggy axles
      '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Josh D
        360 AMC
        • Jan 17, 2002

I was denied!! I guess old beat up J-trucks aren't collectable (yeah, tell that to some members on here who have quite a collection of beat up J-trucks!).

So, not being able to register it, it just sat. All this time I have had a new motor on the engine stand in the garage. I just wasn't motivated to do anything with the truck. I even offered it up for sale to a local jeeper looking for a J-10. then I had an epiphany. I was back in NM for Christmas and my stepdad had acquired a '58 Chevy Apache with 48K original miles, rust free, NM truck. I wanted it bad!! He would let me have it for what he had in it, $3500. I stewed over it the entire 7 hr drive back to AZ. I had the reluctant approval from the wife, but she asked the question "what are you going to do with the truck you already have?". I thought long and hard about it. And you know what, THERE IS NO TRUCK LIKE A J-TRUCK! That's all I needed! Motivation!!

Off with the clip!

Wiring mess!

Everything with fluid in it leaked!

Fender wells looking pretty nasty!
        '71 J2000 Gladiator
        '95 YJ on Waggy axles
        '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Josh D
          360 AMC
          • Jan 17, 2002

A lot of cleaning and rustoleum with an HVLP gun

Transfer case got new seals, gaskets, and fresh coat of paint

Motor, tranny, and T/C in! Setting up brackets, exhaust, etc. Rebuilt steering box and new hoses. So much easier to install without the from clip on!
          '71 J2000 Gladiator
          '95 YJ on Waggy axles
          '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• gas4blood
            327 Rambler
            • Sep 29, 2009

That looks really good!!!!
            Currently FSJ-less. For the second time...........

Comment

• Josh D
              360 AMC
              • Jan 17, 2002

As of yesterday. Getting real close. A few more things to hook up, add fluids, and fire it up!!

New valance to replace original that had some cancer

Seat bracket I whipped up for the Cherokee seats

Seats installed

Steering wheel I got from Tad and painted
              '71 J2000 Gladiator
              '95 YJ on Waggy axles
              '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• gladman
                232 I6
                • Jan 16, 2010

This is a great story! You tell it well! Keep goin'!
                44's/Automatic

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

Nice Josh! You gonna get this in JP?
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Josh D
                    360 AMC
                    • Jan 17, 2002

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                    Nice Josh! You gonna get this in JP?
                    Shhhhhh! Now Cappa gonna jump in this thread and give me Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley for stealing Hazel's seat bracket idea!!
                    '71 J2000 Gladiator
                    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                    '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• jaber
                      Dragin Az
                      • Oct 17, 2003

That is looking awesome. Very nicely done.

I cant wait to get a garage to be able to work when the weather gets crappy. It seem to be raining on my parade a lot lately.
                      Jeff

'43 cj2a
                      '51 Willys p/u
                      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                      '68 Panel Delivery
                      '74 CJ5
                      '75 J-20 Wrecker
                      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                      '77 J-10 p/u
                      '79 Cherokee
                      '88 Grand Wagoneer
                      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• jeepskater433
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 26, 2009

Very nice story, glad you didnt give up on the J10, it looks great
                        CURRENTLY FSJLESS

Happiness is just a downshift away
                        2009 Ford Mustang GT-DD/Track Car
                        2006 Jeep Wrangler-DD/Trail Rig
                        1999 Jeep Wrangler-Dads Trail Rig
                        1989 Jeep Comanche-Project Truck
                        http://www.txfsja.org/forum/

Comment

• PCDAD
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 06, 2010

Verry nice. Great job.
                          If it doesn?t fit use a bigger hammer, .
                          '79 Wagoneer (Colonel Brandon)
                          '06 Silverado Crew (Mayter)

Comment

• Tad
                            • Nov 30, 2001

Looking real good Josh!
                            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Mikel
                              • Aug 09, 2000

VERY nice! I've always loved your truck.
                              1969 M715 6x6
                              1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Working...
                              X