• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trickc
    304 AMC
    • Nov 29, 2000

Points replacement

I'd like to do away with the points on the 73, I've considered pertronix kit but have read some really bad reviews about how they fail and ultimately they go back to points for reliability.

Summitt racing has a house brand distributor that is very similar to the Davis Unified setup but alot cheaper. Anybody used one? Is this all you need or does it need some type of timing controller like the msd boxes?
    73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by trickc
    I'd like to do away with the points on the 73, I've considered pertronix kit but have read some really bad reviews about how they fail and ultimately they go back to points for reliability.

Summit racing has a house brand distributor that is very similar to the Davis Unified setup but alot cheaper. Anybody used one? Is this all you need or does it need some type of timing controller like the msd boxes?
    If you want electronic ignition, the points (Kettering trigger) will trigger a MSD module, and that will control the spark. This relieves the points of coil switching, and they would last a looong time, until the fiber block that rides on the distributor cam wears out. The MSD will give you a hotter and longer spark, and is a significant upgrade. The Delco distributor that came from the factory in these Jeeps is a very good distributor, and if you stay with the Delco you will avoid the possible mismatch between the distributor gear and cam gear that comes with a distributor swap. This mismatch can be bad...

You can even fit the Delco with a big cap and HEI wires if you want to.

Lots and lots of ignition options for these engines. Search "GM HEI" to find many threads.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
      232 I6
      • Nov 08, 2016

Having an msd set up is always nice. I have used Petronix in the past on three motors I had with no issues. A lot of people who write bad reviews do not upgrade the coil at the same time which will lead to the unit going bad. On all three motors I have used them on I upgraded the coil as recommended and loved it. I use msd on my Turbo Mustang and love it, but if I had a stocker I would use petronix without any hesitation.
      1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
      1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
      1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
      1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

I've never heard of a Pertronix Ignitor I or II module failing. I've used both and I ended up going back to points just because I got sick and tired of people telling me that points suck and are unreliable, so I set out to prove them wrong because I can be a spiteful a$$ at times.

I was also trained in how to properly diagnose points, so by running them in my own cars I keep my knowledge sharp and preserve that knowledge for the future of classic car ownership.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Nikkormat
          232 I6
          • Jan 03, 2015

I'll put in another vote for an ignitor 2.

Comment

• bufurd
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 13, 2008

I've also got 3 vehicals running Pertronix ignition, no issues. If you're worried, put the points unit in the Pertronix box and throw it in the glove box. Keeping that high quality distributor you have as mentioned is a huge step towards reliability.
            Current fleet
            Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
            Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
            Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
            Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
            07 JK Wife bought new...
            13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Something else to consider ... the Pertronix module can also trigger a MSD module just like the points can. Connected just the same way. In either case, if the MSD module fails, you can run on the points or Pertronix trigger with the coil until you correct the problem with the MSD module. "Defense in depth."

The Pertronix module is simply a big transistor that takes the place of the points opening and closing. The timing and spark intensity are no different from the points ignition unless you add other "high performance" parts.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• trickc
                304 AMC
                • Nov 29, 2000

[QUOTE=bufurd Keeping that high quality distributor you have as mentioned is a huge step towards reliability. [/QUOTE]

There in lies part of my problem, I suspect my distributor is worn as in the little part that spins and opens/closes the points, the edges are looking a little rounded. I have an old school craftsman tune up box that I use to set tach/dwell and such and was having a hard time getting the dwell up to spec according to the manual. The truck "feels" like its getting weak spark and sputters/misses kind of randomly. I know there are alot of variables in this but was thinking a better distributor/coil setup might be an answer.
                73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 08, 2016

That?s where replacing points with the Petronix set up would work well. I do highly recommend replacing the coil with a petronix unit as well. It doesn?t hurt to replace wires and plugs while your at it.
                  1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
                  1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
                  1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
                  1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
                  1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• bufurd
                    327 Rambler
                    • Apr 13, 2008

Correct when the points are new, but they (points) go down hill from there without maintenance. That's the advantage, the conversion is install and forget about it. Not picking on points, they are very reliable.
                    Current fleet
                    Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                    Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                    Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                    Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                    07 JK Wife bought new...
                    13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

If his distributor is worn out then it will never run right with points unless it is rebuilt.

Pertronix is much more forgiving of worn out distributor bushings, but they're still a good idea to replace since slop in the distributor shaft could affect the drive gears or oil pump. Eckler's Corvette sells bushings for Delco-Remy distributors.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Rod2
                        327 Rambler
                        • Apr 11, 2004

I have Pertronix in my truck and my '66 VW bug; they've been in each for years with no problems. On a side note, when I removed the distributor in the truck, I found a worn roll pin on the shaft that allowed a 5 to 10 degree slop in the gear that was promptly repaired before re-install.
                        Rod Skaggs
                        '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

Working...
                        X