• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geminiroq
    258 I6
    • Apr 06, 2007

How hard and time consuming is replacing intake manifold gaskets

Hi Everyone,

Since non of the local mechanics want to work on my jeep....I am tempted to do it myself...with limited tools.

I need to replace the intake gaskets because of a leak.

I did a search and really didnt find anything that gave a difficulty or time rating.

How hard and time consuming is it to do?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

P.S. If anyone wants to help me wrench this....pizza and chicken wings are on me
  • tenoverthenose
    we don't know what he wants.
    • Jan 12, 2017

I've done it twice on a 258 and it's not that tough so long as everything comes loose. I needed some flexible extensions that I didn't have to reach all the bolts, but I got it all to seal up properly on my first try

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Cherokee Outlaw
      • Jan 10, 2006

AMC V8? Buick V8? Or I6?
      -Jonny B.
      1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
      7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
      AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
      NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
      F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
      R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Wagoneer - Sold
      1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• deckroid
        232 I6
        • Oct 05, 2016

The only trouble I had was reaching all the bolts... I'm 6-4 and had to use a milk crate as a step ladder. I can't even imagine a 6 inch lift or more

Comment

• johnsonic
          258 I6
          • Mar 12, 2015

It's pretty easy - did it a few times on my 360. Only tricky part is to lower it exactly so you don't have front/back movement when letting it drop.

Also - you can choose to use the end seals, or drop a 1/4" bead of RTV. I just used the RTV & it's been fine (read that seals can un-seat over time?).

If it's a V8 and a stock manifold make sure you have a helper - they are heavier than you'd think!!!

Total time with cleaning off old gasket material, pulling carb, draining coolant figure a day on the weekend.
          1984 GW
          Comp 260H
          Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
          Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
          Performer Intake
          Holley SA 670
          MSD 8523
          Dakota Digital custom cluster
          Serehill headlamp harness
          NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
          ...but the parts live on

Comment

• Geminiroq
            258 I6
            • Apr 06, 2007

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            AMC V8? Buick V8? Or I6?
            Sorry....AMC 360

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Remove the hood I made a contraption to hold the hood up with a saw horse type frame, scribe the position on the hood of the stud to allow for easy reinstallation, it is a lot easier because the intake is so heavy.

I did the RTV bead in the back,

check carefully all the surfaces on the head, I had some pitting, but it is doing well.

I pop the cover of the PCV to clean 40 years of caked oil

Check my links below for any useful picts
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• TexasJ10
                360 AMC
                • Jan 03, 2002

Everything seems to take longer than I think it would. There is a lot of stuff to clear out of the way before you can start. I was fortunate that all the bolts came out without trouble, but my old manifold did not want to come off after the bolts were out. The darn things can really adhere themselves to the heads and block. I tapped on the thing forever trying to get it loose and ended up using a screwdriver on the end to get it to release. I was worried that any screwdriver marks would keep it from sealing, but I haven't had any problems. It is ridiculously heavy making it a challenge to lift out and more importantly to set down straight so you don't disturbe the thick RTV bead on the ends or the metal gasket that seems to want to move around as well. I used a little high temp rtv around the water openings of the metal pan, but I think the jury is out on doing that. If I remember right, I think one of the manifold bolts needed to have thread sealant applied because it was tapped into water jacket. There is a torque sequence that should be followed when installing the manifold bolts. I followed the sequence, but couldn't use a torque wrench due to space issues. Just a few thoughts.
                * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Geminiroq
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 06, 2007

With the OE head being so heavy....would going to an aluminum intake a better option? Do know if there is any benefit but I thought i would ask.

Thanks for all the input

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Geminiroq
                    With the OE head being so heavy....would going to an aluminum intake a better option? Do know if there is any benefit but I thought i would ask.

Thanks for all the input
                    The weight factor difference will make a difference to your back but not your car. There are better aftermarket manifolds that marginally perform better for normal street use but to spend the money "just to save weight" isn't a good economic plan.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• TexasJ10
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 03, 2002

The darn manifold weighs 74 lbs and is hard to lift when you are standing on your tip toes. If you want an aluminum manilfold you might as well install it now, but since you probably will want to figure out a lifting devise anyway, the original works fine. I've included a link to a past discussion on the weight issue and possible ways to deal with it.

Turns out my poor idle is coming from a intake manifold leak, just for info before i get into it what does the stock manifold weigh? It's lifted 6 inches and doing it all solo might be a little difficult if it's real heavy. Thanks.
                      * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                      * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                      . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                      * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Where are you in LA? I did my intake about a year ago and will be doing another one in the next 4 months or so. If you want to come up to Camarillo we can park next to each other in my garage and do them together...

There are Edelbrock Torker intakes (aluminum) on LA Craigslist often but they are not smog legal. If you have a 76 or later, the only aluminum intake you MIGHT be able to pass smog with is Edelbrock 3171 Performer (it has provisions for EGR).

If you are 75 or older, you can run a Torker but it may not be the wisest choice for a daily driver and you would have to get a different carb.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Geminiroq
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 06, 2007

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                          Where are you in LA? I did my intake about a year ago and will be doing another one in the next 4 months or so. If you want to come up to Camarillo we can park next to each other in my garage and do them together...

There are Edelbrock Torker intakes (aluminum) on LA Craigslist often but they are not smog legal. If you have a 76 or later, the only aluminum intake you MIGHT be able to pass smog with is Edelbrock 3171 Performer (it has provisions for EGR).

If you are 75 or older, you can run a Torker but it may not be the wisest choice for a daily driver and you would have to get a different carb.
                          Sorry for the delay....I would be open to that but my rig is on non op right now and would not be able to get it out there.

If anyone wants to wrench from start to finish....I would greatly appreciate it

Comment

• letank
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 03, 2002

Sorry for the delay....I would be open to that but my rig is on non op right now and would not be able to get it out there.

you can get a day pass... from DMV or AAA if you are a member, not too sure if you have to pay for the pass, at some time they had 1 month pass for smog visit, but for a non-op, not too sure...
                            Michel
                            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

what city are you in? I might be able to come down there...

I wont be able to until about late Dec though, if you can wait that long.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X