X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CROCKETTBOONE
    350 Buick
    • Jan 14, 2005

My only suggestion it to let the oil drain overnight or longer. Nothing worse than oil dripping on your face.
    An opinion is just that, an opinion. A fact is a fact, and thought to be true. Please dont confuse an opinion with a fact. Life: Its sexually transmitted and always Fatal.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

Also, depending on our Y pipe configuration, plan on dropping the Y pipe in order to remove the oil pan AND access the rear seal. If they haven't been off recently, the manifold studs and nuts will be frozen together. PB blaster those suckers for a good week before you start. Otherwise, you'll be removing your manifolds to take them into the machine shop to have broken studs removed. AMHIK.

Watch your seal orientation and lube the seal with fresh oil when you install it SLOWLY.

Have fun!
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Lindel
        Perfesser of Jeepology
        • Jun 15, 2000

And bring LOTS of rags/cleaning supplies to the show! You'll spend more time cleaning before you put it back together than you did fixing it!
        Jeep Grounds
        RRV Homepage
        Texas Full Size Jeep Association
        1987 Grand Wagoneer
        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
        1999 Wrangler Sport
        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Driftwood
          350 Buick
          • Jun 12, 2000

"READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE JEEP SERVICE MANUAL AND FOLLOW THEM TO A TEE. SOMEONE HERE CAN POST THE PAGE FOR YOU."

Soooooooooooo, can someone please post the Service Manual Instructions. That way we can all be in the know!
          1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Casey
            • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
            what? you guys are making it sound hard! its not. your mechanic friends saying rebuild or get a new engine must think it has a one piece rear main seal and in that case you would need to pull the tranny or pull the engine, but AMC's are two piece seals so like most have said just drop the pan take off the main cap and loosen the next one. pull off the bottom part of main seal and then use a punch or something similar to start the top half of seal . then do the reverse for putting it back on. make sure u get the lip on the seal facing the correct direction and be sure to torque all bolts back to specs. the biggest pain is getting the pan back on for sure.
            Yeah...what he said. The pan removal and installation is the hard part.

DO NOT use a steel drift to drive out the upper part of the seal. Even if that's all you have on hand. Plastic or brass ONLY. If you knick the crank it will leak at the RMS forever.
            1994 YJ
            1986 Comanche
            '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
            www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
            "Go forth and be a tool".
            Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
            This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• JERSEY JOE
              304 AMC
              • Jan 15, 2004

REAR MAIN SEAL

Don't underestimate the importance of the application of sealer on the chamfer between the rear main cap and the block.

IF IT IS NOT RIGHT IT WILL LEAK.

Of you do it without the sealer it will leak.

I have done lots of these in the past 35 years and yes I have had to do some of them twice. The " in the chassis " repairs are the hardest since you need to get the block parting surface clean and dry. Do not put sealer between the block and the cap ot it will increease the bearing clearance.

Also when you complete the job try and let it sit overnight so that the sealer sets up. If you start the engine too soon after replacing the seal it will leak past the uncured sealer...
              1985 J-20 401 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck. CURRENT PROJECT
              1986 CJ 7 360 T-18 granny low Dana 44 , 4 inch lift 35's
              1882 CJ 7 360 727 auto Dana 60's 35's cage
              1970 AMX was SCCA B production. 390 cross ram. GOOGLE IT

Comment

• temps425
                327 Rambler
                • Nov 16, 2007

lol!

Originally posted by intenseimages
                these guys are halfway right on how easy it isnt. lol

here is the way it usually happens:

go to store buy parts,
                stop at next store pick up drinks of choice
                go home, drain oil
                drop pan
                drop rear main bearing cap

next step is to spend 3 days dropping crap on your face while trying to get the frozen in place rear main seasl out of engine.

once it is finally out though it is a matter of rolling new seal in and bolting it all back up (please remember te re-install drain plug) and filling wiht oil

eric

Comment

• Driftwood
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 12, 2000

FSJeep13
                  So did the rear main seal get replaced yet?
                  1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Mark Wilde
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 20, 2004

ONE FINAL NOTE

I'm surprised no one said this yet...

When installing the upper seal, MAKE DURN SURE you do it carefully and DO NOT "shave" the seal on the block. You'll know what I'm talking about when you do it. If you nick the top part of the seal and shave rubber off, it'll leak till you do it again. I did nick it, so I pulled it back out and siliconed the pi$$ out of it and put it back in. Got lucky, no leaks.

Good luck, it's really not as difficult as it is intimidating.
                    90 Grand Wagoneer, 401/727/229, TFI upgrade, MC4350 4V, Edelbrock Performer cam, All-Aluminum Radiator, Razor Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring, 31x10.50 BFG TA/KO's...much planned, little time/money, thus she's a PipeDream!

Comment

Working...
                    X