• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 350 Vortec
    232 I6
    • Oct 17, 2014

Another 6BT

Hello all,I'm pretty new in here and a European but anyway my little project may still interest some,I picked up a J20 a little while ago,it's a Right hand drive (I nearly fell over when I seen the system used!!)it's pretty rotted around the cab,a pillars gone and floor a mess but tub ain't so bad and wings,front ,bonnet,doors are all salvageable,I believe it's a 78/9 and in a nice metallic green,at first I thought someone had resprayed but a dug a little and seems factory....it's got the 6cyl engine with 4 speed manual box(auto originally-crude conversion)..soooo my plan from the start has been to convert this into a usable general purpose truck,good for hauling when necessary and cruising also,first part of the puzzle arrived last wk from US, a ZF s5 42 gear shifter!!!!and just yesterday I purchased a 99 6BT,
    Rotary pump model complete with Daf truck!!6 bt's are actually very common over here and very cheap,the complete truck cost about 1750$,it is mated to a ZF 5 speed which is forward control(reason for standard gear shifter purchase,cannot be sourced over here)this truck was an x government telecoms vehicle and also has a hydraulic pump,2 small hyd winches,a hyd driven compressor and a hyd generator plus aux hyd outlet,it's tatty but all working,170k on clock,I may try use the hyd system in the J,at least leave pump and have it so I can throw generator/compressor in back and plug in if ever needed,I'm also toying with the idea of using the air brakes and clutch system from the truck,definately clutch,brakes will take a bit of thinking but I think It would be cool and save some space,I would obviously need to build a safety into possibly the handbrake,the next hurdle is to figure out a transfer case,I believe I have a dana 18 or 20 so I either divorce it somehow,mate it somehow or spend a heap on importing a bolt on transfer from a US dodge truck,these engine/box combos were never put in pickups and 4x4's over here so as with the shifter-transfer's are just not available here,any suggestions welcome,I'm determined to have all main parts aquired before I start chopping and beating!!so that's basically it to date,my donor will be here next wk so I'll take pics of that and the J and try post here
  • ivecowaggy
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 29, 2015

I'd love to have a hydro winch on my wagoneer, that would be a unique addition. Sounds like you've got a good idea behind the project, can't wait to see it in progress!
    1984 white wagoneer
    Iveco diesel swap
    727/229

Comment

• 350 Vortec
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2014

Originally posted by ivecowaggy
      I'd love to have a hydro winch on my wagoneer, that would be a unique addition. Sounds like you've got a good idea behind the project, can't wait to see it in progress!
      Thanks 😁 ..not much progress so far,my donor arrived and after some test runs I've found that the ZF S 5-42 is noisy in 3rd and 4th gear,briefly under load so I picked up another and will try it in truck before transplant

Comment

• 350 Vortec
        232 I6
        • Oct 17, 2014

Comment

• 350 Vortec
          232 I6
          • Oct 17, 2014

And the Cummins donor

Comment

• The PIG Smith
            King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Looks like a nice project!
            Bryan Smith
            2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
            - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
            1986 Jeep J20
            - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
            1982 Jeep J10
            - Has become a Long Term Project.
            1981 Jeep J20
            - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
            1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
            - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
            ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
            Originally posted by Lindel
            Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• TexasJ10
              360 AMC
              • Jan 03, 2002

Sounds like a great project. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the swap.
              * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
              * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
              . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
              * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                232 I6
                • Oct 17, 2014

Thanks all,NP 205 arrived today,slowly gathering bits and pieces and its next into my little garage so hopefully I can start showing some actual work

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                  Shakes hands with danger
                  • Jul 01, 2012

Not a bad start. Sorry I missed it when you joined up. Welcome!

For some reason I never associate Ireland or the UK with Europe proper. Always think of it as North Atlantic rather than Yurpeen. But then, most of my knowledge of that area comes from Little Britain and Father Ted...
                  '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                  High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 17, 2014

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                    Not a bad start. Sorry I missed it when you joined up. Welcome!

For some reason I never associate Ireland or the UK with Europe proper. Always think of it as North Atlantic rather than Yurpeen. But then, most of my knowledge of that area comes from Little Britain and Father Ted...
                    Thanks,yes we kinda think the same here mostly,English speaking and with mass emigration to USA etc during english occupation (lumping us in with UK won't earn you any points though lol )
                    I've had a little progress on the J,I've sourced a complete cab in the Netherlands a friend has helped me out a lot with it over there,mine really is bad and would take a lot of time to repair so hopefully it works out,just gotta get it home now!!hope to actuall start at it soon

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                      Shakes hands with danger
                      • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by 350 Vortec
                      lumping us in with UK won't earn you any points though lol
                      Understood. That why I said Ireland or the UK - I have a friend from Cork and he made it very clear long ago that they are not the same.

Glad to hear you found a new cab. Share some pics of the carnage when you can!
                      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

Working...
                      X