• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 77_chief
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2009

79 Chief build

Figured I would jump on board with a build thread. I purchased the rig last summer for $600. 360/T18/D20 with on board air. It would not start, but owner stated it ran descent before it quit but needed a water pump. After messing with it, I determined it had a bad coil and was not getting enough spark. Once I replaced the coil and the screw drive let me know that there was now plenty of fire as I could not let go of it quick enough, I figure it should start right up. Wrong! It would turn over, but not start. I give it a shot of start fluid and it would fire. From there I took the top off of the carb to check float bowel and as I suspected it was empty. I remove the float and made sure the needle was not stuck and everything looked good. I reinstalled and had the same thing, nothing Not one to give up so easy, I removed the top of the carb again and was looking for anything that may be out of place. I removed the float and needle again and hit the key to see if there was fuel to that point. It soaked the hood and motor in about two revolutions of the motor. (time for a beverage and let things evaporate)As I was reassembling the float, and ready to put the top of the carb back on, I noticed a crease/indention in the top of the gasket. Then I looked at the tab on the float and noticed it was bent up at a 90 degree angle upward. This was actually hitting the top of the gasket which was forcing the float to the closed position. Once I bent the tab down it allowed the float to operate like it should. Hooked everything back up, hit the key and it started up immediatley and went to a smooth idled just like it was supposed to..... as the water was runnig out of the water pump LOL. Swapped in a new pump and been runing great every since.
    This is not going to be a full blown show rig build, just kind of a refresher. Going to just make a cheap dependable dd/weekend warrior. Main things I want to get done on phase one is get the floors replaced, line the floors, replace glove box, replace the key cyl and key, change interior color, repair some boogered up wiring, rattle can the outside, and build some bumpers and winch. Phase two will be a clutch, SOA, high steer, 37's, 4.88 gear and probably lunch box locker in rear and ARB up front.
    Here are some pics

77 Chief..donor rig now..r.i.p.
    79 Chief, 360,T18,D20
    79 Chief, 366, Holley TBI, th400, part time kit, rancho lift, razor grill
    89YJ 350/700R4, Stak, d60/d44,4 link
  • Logans Run
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 10, 2011

Nice looking rig. I like the 2 door look.
    The Falcon ... 73, 360, TH400, D20, D44 3.54 (F&R), 6" BJ's spring lift, 35"

"I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when."

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
    P.S. those are some beeftastic bumpers!
    My Build Thread:
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151753

Comment

• 77_chief
      232 I6
      • Oct 05, 2009

Removed the carpet and insulation and found this

cut out real bad places and put down some rust nuetralizer

Replace metal on both sides

79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• 77_chief
        232 I6
        • Oct 05, 2009

Did some grinding and scuffed up new metal.

Stripped all parts off of body, mirrors,grill, lights, bumpers, windows ect

Going to remove the ac unit and start on the wiring next.
        79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• Strode
          1st Chair, Cowbell
          • Nov 08, 2011

Looks good, keep posting. I like your lift too!
          Brad
          (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• 77_chief
            232 I6
            • Oct 05, 2009

Originally posted by Strode182
            Looks good, keep posting. I like your lift too!
            The lift was the best purchase ever! I could kick myself for not getting one sooner. As you get older it gets harder to get up and down off the ground and it makes working on Jeeps so much more enjoyable

Been kinda busy lately but got to get some parts off of Haltrac on Friday. Got a tilt steering column, glove box door, door handles, heater temp control cable, and some windo crank handles.
            got the dash tore apart...I hate other folks wiring! When I got the rig, the key had been bypassed and had a toggle switch for power and a push buttom to start, not to mention the gages in the glovebox area. I hope to go back the key if I can get the wiring sorted out. here are a few pics

new tilt wheel

wiring nightmare

glove box door

wiring nightmare

new key switch

Now I just got to figure out how the power gets from the key to the starter relay
            Last edited by 77_chief; 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM.
            79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• robert_hollis
              258 I6
              • Jul 28, 2010

Light blue wire from the ignition switch, down the column, to the neutral safety switch, through the firewall, splits with one lead going to ignition module, and the other running across firewall to passenger side (in split loom) all the way to the starter relay (should be a little rubber boot sitting on relay). If you look for the wire on the bulkhead connector from the engine bay, it's on the left half, at the very bottom row.

You check out oljeep.com for the wiring schematic? it's not 100% accurate, but helps. If you have any wiring issues with your 79, feel free to PM me. I've pulled out, fixed up, and reinstalled both my interior and engine bay harnesses.

On second thought... maybe this will help. My schematic is not 100% accurate either (but closer than the original), and I eventually started altering stuff, so abandoned that schematic, but I digress... https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr...eat=directlink
              Last edited by robert_hollis; 02-13-2012, 01:48 PM.
              360/TH400/D20
              3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• 77_chief
                232 I6
                • Oct 05, 2009

Robert,
                yes I have checked out olejeep diagrams and they are of some help. I do not have a neutral switch being it is a 4 speed I guess. I have located the the blue wire, just got to figure out what the PO did to bypass the column switch. The link to your pics is awesome! I was questioning some of the plugs I located in the mess and you pictures describe them perfectly. I to find out more this evening. Thanks
                79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• robert_hollis
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 28, 2010

Originally posted by 77_chief
                  Robert,
                  yes I have checked out olejeep diagrams and they are of some help. I do not have a neutral switch being it is a 4 speed I guess. I have located the the blue wire, just got to figure out what the PO did to bypass the column switch. The link to your pics is awesome! I was questioning some of the plugs I located in the mess and you pictures describe them perfectly. I to find out more this evening. Thanks
                  Since you have a standard, you should have a clutch pedal sensor switch instead of the neutral safety switch. It essentially does the same thing, by completing the starter circuit when you have the clutch pedal depressed. Not sure what it looks like on these old rigs, but I'd just check the clutch pedal for any switches wired to it. Just like the neutral safety switch, it can be bypassed with a simple jumper wire, or some splicing. I've done that on my TJ, because I ALWAYS put it in neutral and step on the clutch before starting.

I have some more wiring pics on My Cherokee page (the link in my sig), but none of them are labeled.

As far as the PO bypassing the column switch, start with the relay. Where the blue wire attaches to it, there may be another wire that the PO has attached to the same terminal. If there is, then he totally bypassed the starter circuit. If there is only the one blue wire on that terminal, then he has spliced the push button switch into the blue wire somewhere along the way (most likely under the dash). The other end of the push button switch could be wired into any always hot wire, and will just have to be traced back.

Hope that helps.
                  360/TH400/D20
                  3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• 77_chief
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 05, 2009

Robert,
                    You have inspired me with you pics..... so I yanked the entire wiring harness out Gonna sort out the mess and retape the whole thing. The wife said "what is that!" I told her I needed to sort it out and rewire a few things. She just said good luck

My helper Roxie
                    79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• robert_hollis
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 28, 2010

It's not too bad once you sort it all out. I used a fancy label maker to label everything, then taped it all back up nicely. You may just want to do the masking tape and sharpie method. Depending on what features you care about, you may even be able to yank or add a few circuits. On mine, I removed the seatbelt buzzer, cruise, most of the courtesy light stuff, 3 stereos worth of added crap wiring, all remaining heater stuff, and rear window defrost wires. All because said items were long gone. Now's a good time to do a quality job of wiring in any gauges you wanna add like tach, voltmeter, temp gauges, etc.

Oh, and the duct tape wrapped splices are factory splices, so don't freak out when you see 'em.
                      360/TH400/D20
                      3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• 77_chief
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 05, 2009

Been slow going lately with other side items going on. Anyway, got the wiring done and ready to install. PO had cut out the starter swittch and by passed it. Got new one installed Still have to find a couple of cut wires under the hood, but hope to have things working by weekend. here are a couple of pics. Thanks to Robert hollis for the awesome wiring pics and diagrams.

Last edited by 77_chief; 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM.
                        79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• robert_hollis
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 28, 2010

It's looking good. I'm glad those pics were of some help.
                          360/TH400/D20
                          3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• 77_chief
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 05, 2009

Got some more goodies today. I made a major purchase and splurged on these items

for a total of $20, I got a Razor Grill, bezels and good interior dome light.

Should be more progress this weekend!
                            79 Chief, 360,T18,D20

Comment

• 3rdelement
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 25, 2009

awesome build! i love that you persevered and got it running.
                              Richard Ricketts
                              build thread: click HERE
                              1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks

Comment

Working...
                              X