• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deckroid
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2016

New Headlight wiring harness is awesome

A couple of weeks ago I posted about weird issues with my headlights on my 84 GW. The lights would be good for about 20 mins then start flashing randomly on and off and were very warm to the touch. The solution offered was to talk with Serehill and use his wiring harness. Well, my buddies and I installed said new wiring harness from Serehill yesterday. It went in as easy as everyone here says. Solenoid, ground, screw to frame, plug in. Ba-BAM. Easy as anything. It took longer to get the dang dash out and the headlight switch than installing the harness.

I would LOVE to show you the time lapse of me and my two friends taking out the dash, installing the new switch and then wiring everything up. I really would. I spent some time getting the camera, tripod and lighting set up so I could post a great time lapse movie and talk about what was done, what went easy, what I might have done differently... but I can't show it to you. The card I used, my favorite SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 card, has died. I spent a few hours trying to get the chip to read. I used every utility I have and a few that some people suggested. GAAA.

Anyway. A couple of months ago I installed my Gladiator grille and 2 2D1 Sylvania halogen CJ7 lights. When Serehill said, 'They will be much brighter' I was thinking 'Yeah, maybe a bit'. I live out in the sticks and was amazed at just how much brighter they actually were. I will have to take a photo of what just my brights look like on a trail. You'd swear I had my off road lights on as well.

On a weird side note, when I pull the plunger for my lights, the dash lights, radio light and clock all go out. I ordered a new switch first, as everything was working before the change. And it's a 20 dollar part as the new wiring harness for the switch is 45 dollars and could be a PITA to replace. The NAPA here in town is good about helping out testing in their back parking lot. Just got to pull the dash (AGAIN!) and connect the harness and plunger.

Hat's off to Serehill. And to everyone here as well as they all pointed me in that direction.

Next up... max air shocks and the oil pan gasket.
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

Kewel

Thanks George,
    We work to put together the best materials & information from you to obtain the best result. you know you can get just the headlight switch housing w1thout the Harness & save big $$$$$

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

Is it really that good?

Makes me want to buy it even though mine work fine already.

I'm just waiting for mine to do anything to give me the excuse.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• deckroid
        232 I6
        • Oct 05, 2016

I think it's worth it. But then, I had issues and this fixed it.

Still trying to suss out the dash lights/radio/clock lights issue. Talked with a buddy today and he suggested changing out switches, but this time with one that doesn't have a rheostat for brightness and also change the on-floor bright switch. Giving that a shot tomorrow.

I stopped by a pull a part today and lo and behold there was an 83 Wagoneer there. It's only been there 3 weeks and is pretty well intact. Steering wheel is gone as is the cluster. BUT I did manage to snip out the wiring harness for the headlight switch to save me 50 bucks. I also snagged the better part of a Valley Industries spare tire carrier. It was bolted and welded onto the frame, so I didn't get the brackets. This has a spot for a tire and a jerry can. So, win!

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

Certainly it seems like it should be the switch itself.
          1. The instrument lights etc worked fine before you changed it.
          2. They still work in 'park' but not full out?

If they don't work in either, then check the fuse. 3 amps.

FWIW, I just bought a new one. Airtex-Wells p/n 1S1734 (made in Taiwan).

'85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

• 61Hawk
            258 I6
            • Jul 18, 2009

Originally posted by ShagWagon
            Is it really that good?
            Yes

Comment

• deckroid
              232 I6
              • Oct 05, 2016

** Yet another Update **

Ok, I went to the pull a part to waste an hour in town while waiting for the wife and lo and behold there was an 83 Wagoneer. I couldn't believe it. There are ZERO FSJs in the Boise area yards.

I pull a few things off but then I look at the wiring. I thought, hey it's 50 bucks on line... snip it's mine. On the way home, I stopped and also picked up a floor high beam button. Changed out that and the wiring harness, which looked like it went to a Texas BBQ.

Now, everything works like it should. Yay!

George

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

Congrats George. Now it will never burn up again. Prime example of why I built the harness.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
                X