• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks everybody for the help. It nearly took me all day monkeying around
    mocking things up this way or that way. I was nervous about welding that bracket in the wrong spot. Got frustrated and walked the dog. Was able to come up with a different plan. Got back into the garage and it seemed to work.
    Funny how it took me sooooo long to figure it out. Anyway I attached the spring to the new front shackle then used the "indicator' knob of the new leaf, lined that up with the female knob taker (wait what am I describing here)
    on the bottom of the axle. Stuck my jack under both and raised it up into position with the new bracket already mounted. I think I'm pretty darn close.
    The picture is a little dark but you can see the old revit and the spring eye are
    at a nice angle like the original.

Welding was tricky. My Miller 135 will not Mig weld 1/4 steel. So I needed to switch to fluxcore. The problem I realized right away was that the bracket is 1/4 steel and the frame is only 16g steel. Had to sit on the bracket and whip the puddle up onto the frame. Its not pretty but its solid and I will probably try to brace is some more. With weight the front shackle angle seems good.
    Onto the drivers side. Thanks again
    IMG_0579 by , on Flickr
    IMG_0580 by Colin McArthur, on Flickr
    Last edited by Rusty76; 01-31-2020, 03:15 PM.
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• rws31
      258 I6
      • Dec 10, 2016

I'm gonna say you pretty screwed already cause of that serious hack job someone already accomplished.

IF you haven't already cut the mounts off, here's what I would do.

Put everything back together and set it on the ground. IF you like where the axle is centered in the wheel well, place a plumb bob on each side of the frame and let it be centered on the axle tube. Leave it be.

Take everything off and cut all that crap out.

Put new hangers on the springs and install springs on the axle and get the axle tube lined up under the plumb bob or slightly behind the plumb bob cause when you put weight on the springs the axle will slightly move forward.

Tack weld the rear holders onto the frame and then put the jeep weight back onto the springs and see where the axle center is compared to the plumb bob. Adjust accordingly.

It's a guessing game at this point cause all your factory locations are mute cause you don't have factory spring brackets.

As far as squaring it, good luck. Nothing on these vehicles are square to begin with. I would measure from the rear spring hanger to the front on each side and get it close. Remember, a slightly out of square front axle won't make you go crooked down the road but a crooked rear axle will.

Good luck. You have lots of ciphering to do.
      89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
      1988 Ramcharger
      1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
      2003 Durango 4x4
      1982 CJ7 4 banger
      2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rws31
        258 I6
        • Dec 10, 2016

I typed all that only to post after you fixed it.
        89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
        1988 Ramcharger
        2003 Durango 4x4
        1982 CJ7 4 banger
        2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rws31
          258 I6
          • Dec 10, 2016

But I do agree with Rang on the location of the Spring center eye. Looks to be perpendicular from the frame to the old mount rivet. Picture might be deceiving, but you might be slightly off.
          1988 Ramcharger
          2003 Durango 4x4
          1982 CJ7 4 banger
          2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• Rusty76
            258 I6
            • Jul 15, 2018

haha sorry..Thanks for the input. I do see what you are saying in regard to the eye.
            The picture is taken a little to the front. Its really close. We will see how the drivers side works out.
            1976 Jeep Wagoneer
            Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
            Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• rws31
              258 I6
              • Dec 10, 2016

It was pretty funny.

I only suggested all that cause you don't really know what the PO had done. When I put the 89 together from the old 82 stuff I found out that my front axle was slightly off due to a spring center pin being off. And I was the one that did it lol.
              1988 Ramcharger
              2003 Durango 4x4
              1982 CJ7 4 banger
              2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

Is: If you haven't done the other side yet you could get a bar and drill it to match the factory front shackle pivot hole and rear spring mount hole of the side you've done. Then use the bar and the other front bracket to locate the rear.

Was: If you haven't done the other side yet you could get a bar and drill it to match the front spring hole and rear shackle pivot hole of the side you've done. Then use it and the other front bracket to locate the rear.

I did something similar on mine to get the holes through the frame rails for the shackle pivots on my reversal.
                Last edited by SJTD; 02-01-2020, 12:10 PM.
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Rusty76
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 15, 2018

Morning. rws31 thanks for the suggestions. As always I'm open to all advise!
                  SJTD I have not started the drivers yet. I've cut out the old just need to clean up the area and get to it.

SJTD do you think you could explain your idea a different way. Cant wrap my head around it. Maybe if I drink some coffee it will come to me. I'm thinking if I follow the same steps it should workout the same. Mating the leafspring Knob to the female on the axle. Lifting them both up into position.

Thanks
                  1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                  Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                  Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                    Sorry, that's wrong, you need to use a weighted string and drop straight down from original spring mount hole and locate the new spring mount hole in that location, then measure to the front spring mount on both sides so they are the same and then across to each side to make sure there are square.

Yup. What he said. I'm going through this right now and although he's right, it's not easy to get good measurements sometimes. I have to go through all this, this morning.
                    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Rusty76
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 15, 2018

Ah man.... Bummer. If I get the other within 1/2inch would it work?
                      Going to be tough cutting it out and redoing.
                      Last edited by Rusty76; 02-01-2020, 11:18 AM.
                      1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                      Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                      Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• SJTD
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 26, 2012

My understanding is that the front shackle mounts are still in place on yours.

My assumption is that the factory installation of the fronts is accurate.

So you make a bar that picks up the front and rear holes on the side you've done then use it to locate the mount you have yet to install. I hope that makes sense.

I think you want to be way closer than 1/2" side to side. If you mean can they both be 1/2" of I'd think you'd be ok. I'd tack the other side where it needs to be then put the weight on the axle to see how the shackle angle looks to be sure before finish welding it.

Just realized I worded my post like you're doing a shackle reversal. I'll edit it but the idea is the same.
                        Last edited by SJTD; 02-01-2020, 12:21 PM.
                        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Rusty76
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 15, 2018

Ah. Ok that makes sense now. Yes no change to the front spring mount position.

Thanks!
                          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...
                          X