International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 09-02-2019, 09:49 AM
230 Tornado

FITech Street 400 Hard Starting

Has anyone installed a FITech Street 400 system on a stock AMC 360 V8? Mine was recently installed by a shop with a good reputation. I am able to start it when cold, but once warmed up, it is really hard to start. Cranks over and almost catches, but won't fire up.

My Prime Fuel Mult is set at 259.
Crank Fuel 20F is set at 0.8
Crank Fuel 65F is set at -21.1
Crank Fuel 170F is set at -40.6

Has anyone had success with different settings on a stock 360?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM
230 Tornado

Wow - 60 views and no responses...guess I'll keep tinkering with the settings.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 PM
327 Rambler

Sorry -- this forum is getting less and less traffic by the day. Sad result of the "instant satisfaction" people get from posting on social media forums. Only problem with that is there is no way to archive -- or really search -- for the information. So the same questions get asked over and over.

Not much experience here on the forum with the Fitech from what I've seen through the years -- mainly guys with GM TBI, Howell, and Holley.

Problems with warm starts may be timing related. What is your base timing?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 AM
230 Tornado

Well, thanks for the reply! Interesting observation on the reason for less traffic on the forum. I don't use social media, so I'll have to keep resorting to other ways to learn!

My mechanic said Fitech is owned by Holley, but I have no way to confirm that.

Anyway, we've tinkered with the settings and the car is getting easier to start.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM
350 Buick

I think the mention that there was limited experience with FiTech on here is spot on. I have no knowledge about their products really, so couldn't be of any help to you directly. And gather many others are in the same boat.

Have you tried contacting the company directly? It looks like this is their website:

https://fitechefi.com/

Other than continuing to tinker as you are, and probably searching elsewhere online for suggestions, that is probably going to be your best help. Feel free to post back when you get things working better as it could help others down the line.

What do you think of the system otherwise? They seem to have a lot of options on their site and I couldn't see an easy way to narrow down choices to what might be needed for a FSJ. Why did you go with the Street 400 over any of their other options?
Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 PM
304 AMC

No harm in asking here, but you will have better luck at Fitech forums. I have the Holley Sniper and have used Holley Sniper forums. Good luck.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM
230 Tornado

I had the system installed by a local performance tuning shop. They recommended the Fitech system and I followed their advice. As it turns out, they were ill-prepared to "dial in" the system properly.

I did contact Fitech's tech support. After a couple of days waiting, they basically told me to keep tinkering with the settings.

I took it to a shop I trust and they have been working on the settings. It's hardest to start after the car is completely warmed up, shut off, and a re-start is attempted shortly thereafter. I have it back there now to fix the A/C. They will continue to tinker with it.

Once it's started, it runs beautifully. That alone is encouragement to keep trying to get the start up settings right. Once we have it dialed in, I'll post the settings for the next brave soul who dares to go down this path.

Having said all this, I am really enjoying this car. One of my big concerns is the people who are following me taking photos of it while they drive!

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 PM
258 I6

I have the Fitech 2 barrel on my '72 J4500. It's off getting body work right now so can't look at what I have the fuel set to. It has a 360 that was rebuilt to stock and I have never had problems starting it, although it doesn't start as fast as it did with a carburetor.

I've found this website very helpful
https://www.fitechefituning.com/

but it's one of those things you have to play with, at least warm starts can be done multiple times a day, dialing in the cold start is a pain. I should have my truck back next week and should be able to give you the exact numbers but I don't think it was ever hard to start warm even with the factory settings.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:07 PM
327 Rambler

Unfortunate to hear -- since one of the benefits should be instant starts. Has to be an issue with fueling settings during start, or again possibly a timing issue. Shouldn't be having issues with fuel delivery itself... but what are you using for fuel pump, etc?