International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-08-2001, 09:39 AM

OK here we go. Just got 77 cherokee chief s. It runs well but stinks so bad I cant run with the windows down. It smells very rich? is that the problem, if so how do I fix it. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:08 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Does the exhaust system leak? Noisy? What shape are the floorboards in? Rusted with holes?

You need to check out how the exhaust is getting into the vehicle and be careful about carbon monoxide poisoning. Is there any BLACK smoke out the exhaust? Running rich may be caused by dirt in carb, float level incorrect or power valve blown. All corrected by a carb rebuild.

Give us more info to go on.

Kerry
87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...
Old 12-08-2001, 10:15 AM

Unhappy

Yes floorboards are rusted some, I am sure there is alot coming inside. I had one heck of a headache this afternoon after driving about 30 min. Do you recommend trying to adjust it firs before a rebuild? It starts and runs really well, no black smoke at all but the tips of the pipes have black residue on them. The exhaust is not noisy and I dont think it leaks, Just a tremendous smell from the rear.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:36 AM
Grease Monkey

Duckman,

Congrats on the purchase and youmight want to change your profile to indicate your vehicle type so that you don't have to post it each time.

Headache is from CO (carbon monoxide) which amazingly doesn't smell at all. It's a colorless odorless toxic gas which will put you to sleep, temporarily and permanently.

Rebuild the carb first. Check over EVERY inch of the exhaust from the Y pipe (if it's a 360) back to the tailpipe. Watch for holes on the tops of the pipes as well.

Also, be aware that the airflow dynamics of a jeep are similar to a brick. These things will suck YUGO's in behind their wake, therefore the exhaust just kinda flows in if anything is even remotely amiss.

PS everytime you think you've got a problem, even a minor one, do a search. Some of these guys know every piece of duct tape (factory installed!) in their FSJ's.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:47 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Sounds like it is running rich but the exhaust system should be blowing that stuff out the back. Even after a rebuild you will still be getting exhaust inside the Jeep. You MUST fix the reason your getting fumes inside as it is DANGEROUS!!

Ditto everything that Dan said!

Kerry
87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...
Old 12-08-2001, 01:41 PM
Perfesser of Jeepology

I agree with Dan, add some facts about the truck on your profile, and signature file. Keeps the explinations down to a minimum.

Have you got a four barrel, or 2 barrel? Is it stock or can you tell? Check the idle mix screws in either case, 1 to 1.5 turns open on each side is a good starting place, and look at ALL the vacuum hoses.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 12-08-2001, 11:17 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

Cool

a quick and easy test for exh leaks is to use a rag and plug the pipe with your hand. a perfect exh sys will kill the engine. less than perfect will at least make the engine falter. i'd remove the rugs and check out the floor. CO is a killer, the worst of it is that 1st it makes you stupid so you dont realize whats happening to you. congrats on your purchase
Old 12-09-2001, 12:21 AM

Do you still have the catalytic convertor? A poisoned cat can stink really bad! If you end up replacing it, make sure the engine is properly tuned. Incorrect mixture can ruin a cat fast.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:36 AM
Gear Head

A quick and easy way to see if its running rich is pull your spark plugs. If they are black and sooty it's running rich. They should be a nice uniform tan color.

As mentioned above I'd definitely find the source of your leak and fix it. Carbon monoxide in the cab is not a good thing.
Old 12-09-2001, 08:27 AM
Grease Monkey

Next purchase for you should be a Haynes manual. They're available at just about every parts chain store around.

Keep it next to the toilet and it's like a good novel you just can't put down.

Very informative, especially with the carb rebuild.
Old 12-09-2001, 08:55 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Question

Do the exhaust pipes/ pipe exit from under the vehicle? On my '65 wag the exhaust was almost unbearable, but my pipe didn't exit the underside. Also check for leaks in the tubing.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I am out of town this week so I cant work on it right now. The first purchase will be a haynes manual. Here is some more info, 77 chief S. a 360 I believe, 2bbl appears to be stock. The exhaust runs all the way out the back and I cannot hear any leaks anywhere It is going to be a handful I can tell already. She is sure pretty on the outside but I am already starting to find some gremlins!!! Such as 13 cents in the air cleaner I have no idea how, or why for that matter. And what appears to be vacuum lines plugged up with GOLF TEES Not to mention all the electrical tape and wiring crammed neatly under the dash! Well it appears the prior owner was the creative sort!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:20 AM

Thumbs up

Updated The profile, Will post pictures as soon as I get them.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:53 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

It's possible that the wiring nightmare under the dash is factory. They did in fact use duct tape to hold the cruise control module up on the heater plenum. Someone said that he found an AMC part no. for it.

For the good news? It sounds like the 2 barrel (it should be an Autolite 2150) is just horribly out of whack. There is a good tech write up, by Mike Baxter, on how to adjust the 2150, and what things to look for.

We'll muddle through with you, never fear.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 12-11-2001, 09:21 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

something else you may want to check is the fuel vent lines. I am not sure what kind you have but some have a one way valve the if goes bad lets fumes out, possibly being sucked into the cab. Also if you have lines running to a charcoal canister, make sure they are in good shape and no holes venting right into you wag. check all the fuel lines as well for leaks and such. Welcome to the group!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 09:26 AM
Grease Monkey

talking about adjusting carbs does some one know how to adjust the holly 4150 i just can't get it there
http://citaris.digicentro.com/vallehermosense/mula.jpg<br /><br />76 chero chief wt<br />360<br />TFI<br />holley blue fuel pump<br />Holley Truck Avanger <br />edelblock intake <br />SOA<br />chopt top<br />rino lining
Old 12-11-2001, 12:34 PM

Lindel, thanks for the tip on the duct tape... Now you have me wondering if the 37 splices in the wiring and the 13 cents in the air cleaner were factory options in 77.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:04 PM
Grease Monkey

No, no, no

The 13 cents breaks down like this,
it's my 2 cents,
and his 2 cents, etc. till we get to the last guy and you owe us all a million bucks.

It's called the IFSJA pyramid scheme!

But seriously, after the Haynes manual, replace ALL the vacuum lines. Remove all golf tees (they belong in the grass under a little white ball, not as vaccum hose plugs), and connect the lines up to the proper outlet. You should have a diagram under the hood somewhere for the hose routings.

Then, check ALL your wiring in the engine compartment. I had numerous problems with wires sitting on valve covers and manifolds being cooked thru and causing all kinds of weird problems, like stalling at high speed, etc.

It's an ADVENTURE!
Old 12-16-2001, 04:08 PM

If some kind of mod was done (like my '83s TCase swap), those lines may be plugged up for a reason. If vacuum routing seems unusual, the PO may have done something.