Originally Posted by 61Hawk
Is there any reason to not go with an inline fuse over the fuseable link? It's easier to replace a fuse than a burned out wire. That's what I've done when I had a fuseable link go.
You could use a fuse or a circuit breaker for that matter. I'd think that ideally the fuse used should have a "slow blow" character and not go open in case of a momentary accidental short circuit.
Fusible links are crimped and soldered into the harness, avoiding the failure point introduced by the mechanical connection of a fuse or breaker. Not perfect, but more reliable than a spring clip or nut. Fuses can fail unexpectedly and are subject to corrosion.
Really, the fusible link is installed where it's only useful in case of a catastrophic short circuit, like you might have in a wreck. It should not need to be easily serviced. If you are blowing them regularly, there is something radically wrong with your wiring or how you use it.
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk