• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • immadrpepper
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 16, 2016

Finally running!

Its been some time since I was last on here! I bought a 76 wagoner for $800 in December of 2015, the tail end of my senior year in high school.

When it got home I threw it a new fuel pump and a carb rebuild to get her running to go round the neighborhood. The first corner around my block it was like in a movie, engine kick, puts, shuts off and 2 hub caps came off and went rolling down the street! Pretty funny at the time. Anyways I traced back the problems to wiring. Yep everyones favorite thing.

The fuse block was severely rusted and the amount of resistance on the connections going through it just made anything electrical poor at best. So I bout an EZ wiring kit. 21 circuit if I remember correctly, and just as I started ripping out the old and putting in the new I started working 70 hr weeks and well I figured that would be all she wrote.

I quit that job and took a summer gig and now I'm back in sunny Arizona with some money I finally got the time to finish the project!! woot woot. So I got the engine wired up and started her yesterday. The sound of the old v8 hum is hard to beat, I love the sound!

So Ill see about getting some photos up but basically so far Ive replaced

fuel pump
    rebuilt carb
    wiring in progress, but no problems yet!

Up to come:
    Ammeter to Voltmeter mod
    tranny rebuild
    Rust correction
    lift
    rear main
    dash (Guy I got it from screw a plate into it - I like the factory look with out holes in it better)
    Pretty much everything else haha

If y'all have any questions of what Ive done, maybe you're about to do it yourself, I may be able to shed some light. Thanks for looking!
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Sounds like a nice project, good luck with it. Looking forward to some pictures of the PEPPER.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Post up some pics! We love these kinds of stories but pictures always make it bette!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• immadrpepper
        230 Tornado
        • Sep 16, 2016

10-5-17 Update

Photobucket kinda sucks anyways so heres a link to the google drive folder I have everything in

Heres some photo bucket links

when I bought it

And here She is today

Heres some from the wiring Ive done

I used those cheap paper twist ties to group and regroup the wires till I had everything routed in the general area they needed to go. After that It was all pretty quick and easy snip and crimp plus some solder.

If I did it again I would have made sure to label the plug connectors when taking apart the cab harness.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

I kinda dig the headliner! looks like you put a lot of quality work in getting the wires figured out. I never thought of using twist ties! I have used binder clips in the past but it gets expensive. twist ties make MUCH More sense.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• immadrpepper
            230 Tornado
            • Sep 16, 2016

Body work

Long time coming, Im sure its got longer to go.

In the process of a full tear down, Theres so much rust everywhere that I've decided to let a sandblast man give it a go before going further.

Broke a screwdriver and several bits while taking these rusted screws out. Had to only cut 3 off so that was nice.

All of the windows in this jeep are an absolute pain to get out. I got pretty quick by the last one but seriously you thing they'd make it a tad easier. I thougt old trucks are suppose to be easier to fix not harder haha

Soon will pull the motor out, front clip off, dash off and apart, wiring (still not fully finished) and thats about it to go. Plus the quarter windows and windshield.

If theres any good threads on custom door panels a point in that direction would be nice. Those for sure are gonna need to be remade. Im thinking of a more sleek design with less bulky handles. Not too sure yet tho, still brain storming

I got a pretty slick hook up at a auto body/collision repair shop my buddy has so the idea is to get it blasted and treated with paint prep then send it over where they can just cut and weld in new metal as needed quick and easy. Fingers crossed sandblasting doesn't uncover too many problems.

Im thinking of using one of those pump bug/weed killer bottles to make sure I cover it well with the paint prep.

The headliner was absolute garbage, the PO or someone before him just screwed it into the roof with regular screws and threw some tar paper up under it. Needless to say theres lots a rust and its a PITA to get off that tar paper.

Also same person stuffed fiberglass insulation in everywhere on this thing. Im pretty sure thats not normal yeah?

Will be looking for Basically all new plastics when it comes to the lighting, everything I currently have is faded, cracked, or missing. Found a few online but if anyone knows where to get the backup lens with the white squares in the red, If you know what Im talking about, please send me looking for them.

Other than that, direction of this project is looking to be more a trail ready weekend warrior that still drives well enough for the freeways.

SOA and Shackle flip, high steer, clean body just base color and trim, Maybe a tire carrier cool bumpers for sure tho

Ive been toying with the idea of going to power windows and wiring them into an Arduino/raspi with integration into a touch command center in the dash kinda Tesla like almost. Ive found the circuit boards with relays to bridge the hardware/software gap so I may be contracting some fiver work pretty soon for some early prototyping. That'll be cool. Maybe a aftermarket a/c that'll integrate with the system more easily too who knows. Well see where that ends up probably later than sooner giving the current track record I have with staring on a schedule.

Other than that I think thats all I have for you guys enjoy some photos.

Comment

• Rusty76
              258 I6
              • Jul 15, 2018

Fantastic. I also picked up a 76. So far have the engine and TH400 rebuilt.
              Working on transfer case now. Good times!
              1976 Jeep Wagoneer
              Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
              Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• letank
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by immadrpepper
                Photobucket kinda sucks anyways so heres a link to the google drive folder I have everything in

Wooohoooo, great job, be aware that your 76 has the prestolite distributor/ignition system, the dual diaphragm is a give away, also know as Presto No Light, because it is a known system to fail, due to probably poor electrical, and is usually replace with either the duraspark of the previous years or a point distributor, converted to a pertronix ignitor.

One of the members here FSJunkie check his post #2 and #6 below , swear that it is a good system, but failed due to the failing electrical... so beware of the potential engine stalls...

Hey Guys i got a 1977 Cherokee stock 360 2 barrel N code,with 4 speed trans looking in the part stores (o'really. Nopa ) for cap & rotor and theirs two choose motorcraft or Prestolite distributor? hows a newbie tell the different between them i don't see any manufacture name stamped on distributor. can ya help a newbie out

As for rust, check the bottom of the A pillar and all around the windshield for rust
                Michel
                74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                X