• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pman
    350 Buick
    • Apr 24, 2004

Rear Driver window lift bar rusted to pieces

Long time, no post! Glad to see some of the same familiar names still active on here.

My 82 is still running strong and I circulate it through the rest of my Jeep herd regularly. However, last week I heard a crunching sound in the driver side rear window. Pulled the door panel and the lift bar that is attached to the top of the regulator is completely rusted out and fell away from the bottom of the window. I'm guessing this part can't be replaced by itself, so in my search for a replacement regulator, I see listings for the front doors. So my question is this: Are the rear door regulators the same as the front? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance!
    Pearsall Smith
    82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
    88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
    81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
    82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

They are Left and Rights--not interchangeable. BJs used to have them but I believe its been 2 years now without any replacements available. I thinks of making a composite replacement or something simular. A question for all the other SME's: doese Chevy use the same part and if so LMR or the other restoration hoses would have them

Comment

• 80Limited
      232 I6
      • Feb 19, 2015

Is it the one that?s attached to the glass itself? It?s like the tailgate glass with the big clips holding it together. My passenger side was the same way, I just bent up a channel for the glass and welded that bracket for the pivot on it or I think 40?s or 50?s Ford truck ones might work with a little fabbing.

Comment

• Pman
        350 Buick
        • Apr 24, 2004

Rocklaurence- Yes, I figured the left and rights would be different, just wondering if the front and rears are as well. I would assume they are different. Too bad BJs no longer has them! I'll have to peruse the junkyards I guess..

80 Limited-That's another good option. I'm running tons of MIG wire and fabbing up things on my Scrambler restoration, so I might as well tackle this, too.

Interestingly, my Wagoneer is pretty much rust free, except for this piece!
        Pearsall Smith
        82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
        88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)

Comment

• backroadin'
          350 Buick
          • Aug 11, 2004

This just happened to me last month, kinda. On mine, the part that attaches the arm to the bottom metal window frame rusted and broke off. The way Jeep was, I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's the same front and rear, or at least the mechanical parts are. I'd like to know too.

Anyway, btt....
          1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• COJEEPBOY
            232 I6
            • Oct 23, 2009

Had the same problem on mine. Ended up going to home Depot got a 90° piece of metal and a flat stock. Welded them together to create a channel then welded the slotted pieces on and boom new channel.

Comment

• Pman
              350 Buick
              • Apr 24, 2004

Backroadin'- Thanks for the bump! It got another good answer from COJEEPBOY.

I think I was able to find a post on here where someone fabbed it together as you and 80limited did. That seems like a good route.

Once I get my Scrambler welded back together I think I'll do this, take loads of pics and post it on here (unless I utterly fail in which I'll go in hiding).
              Pearsall Smith

Comment

• backroadin'
                350 Buick
                • Aug 11, 2004

LOL - please do! (succeed that is...)
                1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 18, 2001

Somebody really needs to start re-producing these. I just had to buy 2 NOS ones at a premium to fix my window. More and more people are going to start having this failure, and not many are able to just fab a new one...
                  Ben
                  1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

Working...
                  X