• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • icavdiv4fun
    232 I6
    • Feb 11, 2002

Holley or Edelbrock?

Just about got my engine back together. New edelbrock manifold will be picked up tomorrow. Now for the tough decision. Do I put a holley or edelbrock on it? Cam is edelbrock, stock ex-manifolds right now. I am considering headers but suspect that stock manifolds well help with torque. Suggestions & advise welcome.
    Thanks
  • Marvin Gates
    304 AMC
    • Oct 22, 2001

I havent tried a Holley on a Jeep yet, always had good luck with them tho. I have the Edelbrock 1406 on a J20 and one on a 75 Wag and they run flawless all the time. I'm sure I haven't helped any but everyone says the Holley works better for wheelin. Good Luck MG
    Regards Marv
    #1881 just for the record.
    FSJeepless for a short time.
    Need a J10 tho.

Comment

• Gwamp
      High Tech Redneck
      • Mar 08, 2002

The eternal arguement! I am running Edelbrock w/the offroad needle kit. Works fine for me. I have never had any problems with it. If I was loaded with cash, I might get one of the Holley Truck Avengers.
      Roll up on you like Eastwood...

Comment

• 1BADJP
        232 I6
        • Jun 05, 2002

I ran a Holley and it caused a very big fire!!!!
        I now run an Edelbrock and have had no problems, even at extreme angles....hope I helped
        83CHEROKEE,35\" goodyear mtr\'s on stock 7\"aluminum wheels with no lift, 360/727/DAILY DRIVER, CHOPPED TOP<br />89 YJ 454/TH350/300/Rockwells/<br />HS9500I/FULL CAGE/44\" Boggers/coil spring susp/RS9012\'s

Comment

• icavdiv4fun
          232 I6
          • Feb 11, 2002

Edelbrock seems to be ahead so far. Holley seems to be taking a beating. (I have a holley on my Shelby so I cannot knock it to bad.)

Comment

• Stolen76
            350 Buick
            • Dec 13, 2001

I have a 600 holley, wish I had an edelbrock. I bought a rebuild by "Quick Fuel Technologies" flows way to much fuel, can't get it back far enough to burn right. Go edelbrock, easier to adjust.
            76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

• icavdiv4fun
              232 I6
              • Feb 11, 2002

What is this off road needle kit I keep hearing about?

Comment

• Gwamp
                High Tech Redneck
                • Mar 08, 2002

It's an $8.95 needle kit that corrects the problem that Edelbrocks have with steep angles. It is availible from Summit Racing
                Roll up on you like Eastwood...

Comment

• Oracle
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 07, 2002

I saw an article recently on the new off road holley carb. According to the rag's editors, it performed VERY well at both front to rear and side to side extreme angles. When they showed a picture of this soon to be released carb,the principal change appeared to have been connecting the two opposing float bowl vents with an aluminum tube which had a series of very small holes drilled in the highest part of the tube where it arc'd over the air horn. I'm thinking of modifying the Holley I have in this manner to see if similar benefits accrue [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

• icavdiv4fun
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 11, 2002

Let see. Two vents; a piece of shrink wrap; small drill bits; wander if shrink wrap is fuel resistent?

Comment

• porkchop
                      Master of B.S.
                      • Apr 17, 2000

I had a holley and an edelbrock and didn't have luck with either one. The holley just never ran right and the edelbrock would bog down on hills and then it wouldn't run right for about two days. Could never figure it out. I had the off road kit in it also. I am trying a Q-jet right now. I have not had the chance to run it to long to test it good. My t-case adapter went out on me the first test run !

[ July 01, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: porkchop ]

Comment

• 64Trvlr
                        Traveler
                        • Nov 28, 2000

Originally posted by 1BADJP:
                        I ran a Holley and it caused a very big fire!!!!
                        I now run an Edelbrock and have had no problems
                        How did the Holley cause a fire?
                        41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• Lindel
                          Perfesser of Jeepology
                          • Jun 15, 2000

My own personal opinion is to go with Holley, and yes, I've had both. I can set the Holley up, with little difficulty, and the Edelbrock that I've got is VERY sensitive to any changes that I make to the engine.

It seems that I've got to retune, everytime I do something, not much fun, let me tell you. Makes tune ups a true joy

The truck avenger can be made simply enough, with Holley's off road needle set, the side hinged float bowls, and a vented tube between the slosh tubes (or fuel hose).
                          Jeep Grounds
                          RRV Homepage
                          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                          1987 Grand Wagoneer
                          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                          1999 Wrangler Sport
                          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• PhilSine
                            304 AMC
                            • May 25, 2002

No experience with Edelbrock carbs. But, I successfully rebuilt my Holley without any prior experience. If I can do a complete rubuild and full adjustment with no background, then if nothing else, I can say the the Holley is easy to work with.
                            I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• icavdiv4fun
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 11, 2002

The holleys are pulling up from behind. Maybe I will try the holley first (I have one off my other car). Then the edelbrock. I guess I will find out. I appreciate the advise and sharing of experience.
                              Thanks
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X