• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swclemons
    232 I6
    • May 26, 2000

87GW Electrical Problems

I recently installed a set of KC daylighters on my GW. I used the foglight wiring and upgraded the stock switch to a higher amp one. The problem is when I use my new lights in conjuntion with the headlights,it seems as though the alternator starts humming, and the dash lights go a little dim. I take it I am drawing to much?? Alternator problem? Wiring problem??
    Steve<BR>87GW<BR>Stock 360
  • ClarkGriswald
    350 Buick
    • Jul 03, 2000

Sounds like you should run a big fat wire from the battery, to a relay. Then out of that to your KC lights.. then the relay handles the power and use your switch to control the relay.. this will provide optimul power to the lights. (dont forget a fuse in there somewhere). This way your not using power from the dash area or fusblock to run those KC's.. hope this helps..

------------------
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    D44's front\rear
    AMC 360
    TF 727
    NP 229 (Funky)
    Bone Stock (for now)
    NO RUNNING BOARDS!
    88 Rusting mound
    79 Rusting mound

Comment

• swclemons
      232 I6
      • May 26, 2000

There is a relay in that line from the factory, and it is fead from main power. I also tried it straight from the battery, with the same results, under a heavy electrical load it causes the alternator to whine??? Voltage regulator maybe?? Its a integral part of the alternator?? Right?
      Steve<BR>87GW<BR>Stock 360

Comment

• JERRY88GW
        232 I6
        • Jun 09, 2000

I would not trust those factory relays and wires. Those products were manufactured for specific amps. If they have too much current going through, you could find your GW sitting on the side of the road engulfed in flames. You should consider ClarkGriswald's sugestion.

Yes, you probably are drawing two much current. Upgrade to a hight amp alternator. $60 with core from autozone.

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
          350 Buick
          • Jul 03, 2000

Yes if it still did it when connected directly then your alt is not cutting the mustard.. the battery is only a storage facility. When your engine is running the alt does all the work (as well as charge the batt). I agree with the previos message, you need a bigger alt. And or a new battery if it is old and funky. Ok now I'm am not entirely sure if I have the right info here but I read a post once about how you tell what alternater you have. bye the size of the bolts that hold it onto its bracket.. I belive that if you ahve half inch bolts you have the smaller alternators. if the bolts are 9\16 then you have the higher amp alt.. and can upgrade to even higher.. (but if you have the small setup you cant upgrade {easily} to the larger size alt's without new brackets or whatever.
          Remember there is a welding system out there that I belive is a really high output Alternator and the associated hardware to interface it and weld with it.. I will probably go for this someday as such that it gives you a ton of power for all your stuff. and serves a second purpose.. I have a hard time fixing things without modifying them or upgrading them. Might as well get the most bang for the buck especially when your bucks are RARE and precious.

------------------
          88 Grand Wagoneer
          D44's front\rear
          AMC 360
          TF 727
          NP 229 (Funky)
          Bone Stock (for now)
          NO RUNNING BOARDS!
          88 Rusting mound
          79 Rusting mound

Comment

Working...