• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kam0327
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2015

Tailgate Chains

Hi guys. I'm in the midst of rebuilding a 65 J200 and have started work on the tailgate. The unit that came with the truck is in decent shape, with the exception of a row of pinholes about 4 inches down from the top, on the outside side of the tailgate. I'll cut that section out and weld in a new strip, no big deal.

My question is, have any of you done anything to protect the paint on the tailgate from the chain bracket, when the tailgate is closed? I'm using a single stage paint, so no clearcoat protection. It seems like a bummer to clean the tailgate up and add a fresh coat of paint, only to have wear marks from the chain bracket. This won't be a show truck, but I'd like it to look nice. Any suggestions?

On a related note, I finished the bed last summer (no heat in the pole barn, so I usually work on it in warmer weather) and it turned out great. After paint, I used a spray on bed liner and it looks awesome. I'll check out how to post pics and put some up for review.

Thanks.

Last edited by kam0327; 06-24-2020, 05:09 AM.
  • kam0327
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2015

It took a few tries but I finally figured out how to load pics. That's a win
    Last edited by kam0327; 06-24-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• chubbinius
      258 I6
      • Oct 31, 2018

Wow, that bed really came out fantastic. The bed liner looks great.

It may not be the best way to go, but possibly using a plastic or vinyl coating on the chain and bracket will help keep some of the tailgate wear down (plasti-dip or the like)?
      1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
      -Dauntless 350 V8
      -D27 front/D44 rear
      2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• kam0327
        230 Tornado
        • Feb 05, 2015

Thanks Chub.

Comment

• wylder
          232 I6
          • Jan 01, 2015

How about clear chip guard film. Most vinyl wrap places can install it, or you can look for the 3M stuff and do it yourself.
          Wylder

Comment

• FleetFox
            258 I6
            • Apr 04, 2018

might try an old bike tube. Or the vinyl tailgate chain covers for GM/Ford step sides. plenty of repops out there for them.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

I kinda think the wear from the chain/bracket are cool. Makes the truck look "appreciated" and driven. I get why you would not want those there after spending that much time and effort making it look that nice, but I wouldn't be scared of having them nick up the paint during usage.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• kam0327
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 05, 2015

Thanks guys. Several good ideas offered.

Comment

• FleetFox
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 04, 2018

I bought chain covers that fit a Commando for my sport side. They were a little short maybe 1 or 2 links but were the right dimensions for the original 5/16 chain. They were nice and flexible and gave the chain sets the right hang and dangle.

Fleet Fox

Comment

Working...
                  X