• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remdog
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 28, 2006

Post mount ??'s Pixs front

I have a 72 j4000, and am replacing the front springs. I found a spring company near youngstown oh who claimed to have new replacements. They wanted to view the old spring. I spent several days to get one side off, took it to them and it looked like it matched (arch & length). Question I have is, there is a metal bushing inside the rubber of the new spring (back). The posts on the truck appear the same diameter as these bushings... or is the old bushing from the old spring left on the post. The post od = 1". The id of the new spring is 7/8". Are the posts 1" or 7/8" (and i need to get that bushing off the stud bolt on the frame). Or are the springs not the right ones? It looks like if I could press out the bushing on the new spring, they could slid over what I thing is the post. Pix's would sure help. Bad news is I left the old spring there.... I just came up from the shop dissapointed that I can't get the spring on. I need some help & guidance.
    Last edited by Remdog; 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM.
  • PlumCrazy
    360 AMC
    • Oct 07, 2003

Yep, there is a metal bushing inside the rubber and if you don't see it, it is probably stuck on the post...just use liberal amounts of PB Blaster or WD-40 (along with a pipe wrench) and it should come back off.
    I have yet to find a set of front springs for the 71J that match and a re-arch will only last about a year according to most shops.
    My license plate says "Crazy" not stupid

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
    *STATUS Down as a summer project*

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Couple of mine have come off that way on rear posts over the years.
      Is there a piece stuck on the posts with a slight knurl to it?
      Or, can you see a seam?
      The post has no seam so if you see one. that's the section from the bushing.
      Wayne's way will work just fine, I usually break out the air chisel, get it lined up on the seam and blast away.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Remdog
        230 Tornado
        • Mar 28, 2006

The piece has knurls on it. Looks exactly like the bushing inside the rubber of the new spring. I really didn't look for a seam (yet). It just looked like it was part of the frame bracket. I'll look for the seam tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure before I started hacking on it.

Thanks for the quick response from both of ya's ! I'll post an update after I get back to it tomorrow, after the yard is mowed.. thanks again fellas.

joe

Comment

• Remdog
          230 Tornado
          • Mar 28, 2006

Old bushing off no problem ! New spring on, no problem. On to the other side. Thanks again !

Comment

• PhilG
            258 I6
            • Apr 27, 2006

what did it turn out to be? Do you have the contact information for the place you got the springs and bushings?

Phil
            1971 J2000
            In the sticks in Central Louisiana

Comment

• Tad
              • Nov 30, 2001

Joe, that's great to hear.
              If you can read a part number off those bushing it would make some folks mighty happy in the future.
              2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
              X