International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-22-2007, 04:20 PM

advice on parts after 4 inch lift install.

I lifted my wag 9 years ago with a Skyjacker 4 inch suspension lift. I was just in high school and didn't know :o:o:o:o:o about what else I should have installed to complement the lift. Well, I was looking at another wag in town and realized I probably should have done some other things.

- Correct me if I am wrong , but I think I need; track bar relocating brackets, drop pitman arm, longer sway bar end links (if thats what their called?).....
My sway bar is horizontal right now, the other lifted wag had one that was pointed up more.
trying to make the Wag the way it should be.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Did you leave the track bars off, after the lift? Absolutely need the drop pitman arm, and longer brake hoses.

1983 Cherokee Pioneer
1988 Grand Wagoneer
Old 12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
BJ's Off-Road

with 4" kits, I typically recommend DPA (usually about 50% of folks need them), sway-bar quick disconnects, steering stabilizer shocks, and track-bar extensions (if your rig came with them). Although everyone might not need them, I still recommend them as they keep the rigs more safe once lifted.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM
FSJ Maniac

Drop Pitman arm would help.

Sway bar...trash
Track bar....trash.

I ran mine as a daily driver on and off for 3 years....just my opinion.
Stak 3 speed
44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually
Old 12-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey watch this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Drop Pitman arm would help.

Sway bar...trash
Track bar....trash.

x2..

Unless you are just looking to throw money away, get under there and throw the sway bar and track bar away instead..

DPA's are worth it though..
Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM

My brake lines are taught(stock ones). Not really any movement in them. Longer ones are on the list.

We just put the track and sway bar back on after lifting it. I dont do any crazy articulating of the wag, so I am unsure if I will benefit from removing them. How would the ride change after taking them off?

-is the consensus that quick disonnects on the end links better than just longer ones? How should the sway bar look when the truck is sitting still?, should the curved ends be horizontal or pointed up?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey watch this...

The ends of the sway bar should be pointed up just a little..

If you dont plan on flexing it, then you dont need to spend extra money on QD's.

I am sure that you will not notice any ride change after removing the track bar. In fact, if you mounted it back in its stock postion, you may see a ride improvment since its no longer pulling the axle to one side.

And, regarding your sway bar.. IMO you dont need it either. You might notice a slight difference though since you are used to it now. BUT, with the stiffer lift springs, you will still be plenty stable.. I would at least disconnect them for a bit, and see how the ride is before you spend money on new links.

Oh yeah, you can get some extra slack out of your lines by dropping the bracket that holds the line to the frame down to only the bottom hole. Then, put new lines on top of your list. Thats the last part that you want to fail you on the road. BJ's has some VERY nice lines, and I reccomend buying the ones for a 6-8" lift. That way you will have extra just in case you ever decide to go bigger..
Old 12-24-2007, 09:21 AM

I was just browsing the BJ's site. I was thinking that longer brake lines would be good also.

- The Jeeps suspension after the lift is pretty hard. It has those Skyjacker "soft ride hydro" shocks. Maybe its them or the sway bar. OR just the nature of the beast after a lift.