International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 02-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Gear Head

Many options for TBI ignition control

I feel like this may be flogging a deceased equine but could I get some input on the options for ESC on a TBI system. First, I have been reading.... a lot. Seems there are several ways to do it. Duraspark conversion, Large cap HEI, small cap HEI, breaker points dizzy converted with a pickup, custom built, Chinese built, MSD (both dizzy and box) and the famous but expensive DUI. What I have not found is a thread in one place addressing these options. I like the thought of the coil and module in one place under the cap (seems reasonable). Is this a bad thing? It seems that not many are using it. Cheapest, I think would be the duraspark conversion from Bill at Binderplanet. Here are a couple of the highlights I've been reading. Please compare/contrast the available options. I have a fuel only Howell system right now and am leaning toward buying a harness from Bill for the ESC conversion.- Thanks

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=69158

Look at post #10

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/lo...gines-1336849/
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM
258 I6

If you've been on BP then you know that all the listed options are already there.

The best one is the one you have.
The large cap distr was an upgrade to the old points and like the 1 wire alternator from GM, it was easy and convenient. But that didn't make it better or the best.
It's like jeep guys trying to say that the large cap motorcraft is some king of a performance upgrade when it has nothing to do with performance.

There are many down sides to having the coil in the cap of the distr. Just do a little search on the web.
You should not run the 1 wire alternator and the large coil in cap is not the best. But if someone already has one, it can be made to work.

IMHO the best distr is the standard Duraspark distr converted for EFI and running the 8 pin ignition module.

Just to give an idea, MSD ignition sells distributors. There MSD pro Billet uses the ford Duraspark pickup.
If the big coil in cap was a better design you would thing that would have been their top of the line. But it's not.
75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS
Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Gear Head

With regard to phasing the reluctor: Can this be done with the vacuum advance arm as shown in the 2nd post or does it need to be rotated on the shaft like it shows on BP? Trying to understand the triggering alignment vs the rotor/cap alignment.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 AM
258 I6

If you looked at the AMC distr conversion on BP it shows rotating the base plate to set the reluctor phasing once the rotor is properly positioned. They both must be correct.
A hole drilled in an old cap is the best way to see it and set the rotor position.
It doesn't seem like you have read those conversions yet.

Here's a direct link to the V8 and 6cyl conversions so no one has to look for them.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=114498

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...271#post814271
75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Last edited by Bill USN-1 : 02-28-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Gear Head

I had a long post typed when I went back and re-read the FAQ, again ( Actually for at least the 7th or 8th time) I see the very question I am asking addressed as an "alternative method". I was just trying to not have to drill and tap the reluctor.
I keep seeing this picture and not processing the text at the bottom.

I am heading to the corner with my cap.

Last edited by Mr. Goatman : 03-01-2015 at 12:11 AM.