International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-18-2002, 09:36 AM

Question

Problem: intermittant window failure, about 2-4" from top. Began with slight cyclic speed change as I raised/lowered window. Window began working again couple of days later when it was sunny and warm. During failures, I could hear the motor trying (faint click) when I'd push window switch up or down. Don't think it's switch.

Today: I've got the door panel off. Only hard part was little metal clips that hold the studs on the power mirror control. (nice having a 91, no dirt or rust, really clean inside door).

Now, with panel off, I cannot get the window to fail, when for the last two weeks it would fail everytime I forgot and used it. Within a day, it would usually work again and I'd roll it back up.

Now I can see that the cyclic speed change/slow down, is when the cable drive attached to the motor rotates. This cable lies on the bottom of the door and runs towards the front. Under the power motor, this hose, which I asssume houses the power cable to the window, has holes, and as it rotates, it almost looks like there is liquid in there? Oil?

Help? Do I have a bad motor that is making the cyclic noise as window goes up and down, or is this unrelated to my real issue?

All wires and connections look good. Really bums me out that I cannot get the thing to fail again. I want to fix it while I've got it apart.

Also, what should I lube the cable drive with, and window tracs?

By the way, I broke down and bought an trim removal tool for $6 and it helped me get everything off without damage. Also able to pull vapor liner off in one piece.

Help!!!!!

Jeff
<a href=\"http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a2a1182b/bc/My+Photos/SideQuarter+w-lift.jpg?bcKecz8AOaxxRQW1\" target=\"_blank\">http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a2a1182b/bc/My+Photos/SideQuarter+w-lift.jpg?bcKecz8AOaxxRQW1</a><br />91 Gray Grand Wagoneer<br />4\" Skyjacker System, Hydro-shocks and steering damper, 4\"DPA,<br />31X10.5 BFGoodrich AT ko\'s<br />190K miles, 40K on jasper motor, 727 and 229. 3.31 gears
Old 03-18-2002, 10:10 AM

Spoke too soon. Got window to fail.

During failure, when I move switch up and down, the motor makes a noise each direction (Only the first time I move it i.e. clicks first time switch pushed down, but not second time. Then clicks when pushed up)

Got window back up by quickly switching up and down until it finally worked.

Do I have a bad motor?

Jeff
<a href=\"http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a2a1182b/bc/My+Photos/SideQuarter+w-lift.jpg?bcKecz8AOaxxRQW1\" target=\"_blank\">http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a2a1182b/bc/My+Photos/SideQuarter+w-lift.jpg?bcKecz8AOaxxRQW1</a><br />91 Gray Grand Wagoneer<br />4\" Skyjacker System, Hydro-shocks and steering damper, 4\"DPA,<br />31X10.5 BFGoodrich AT ko\'s<br />190K miles, 40K on jasper motor, 727 and 229. 3.31 gears
Old 03-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

Cool

i'll betcha the intermittence is due to cruddy switch contacts. in my wags, ive never had an electric motor die.of course, i dont have a final edition 91. it sounds like cryco changed some stuff. 84-88, used a nylon belt drive system,not a cable drive. white grease should lube the drive, silicone on the tracks. if the the motor isnt a sealed unit,you could take it apart to clean,lube it, and check the brushes